It’s impressive how knitting needles have evolved. The Best Interchangeables are game-changers!
My Quick Recommendations
- Best For Most People – Knit Picks Options Knitting Set
- Best Luxury Option – Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Sharp Stainless Steel Knitting Needle Set
- Best Budget Pick – Denise Interchangeable Blue Kit Brights
Note: Clicking the links takes you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews on Amazon and Knit Picks.
Table Of Contents
- Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Sharp Set
- ChiaoGoo Set
- Knit Picks Rainbow Set
- addi Click Needles
- Lykke Driftwood Needles
- Knitters Pride Dreamz Set
- Clover “Takumi” Set
- Denise Brights Set
- What Are Interchangeable Knitting Needles?
- Things To Consider In An Interchangeable Needle Set
Best Interchangeable Needles Set Reviews
Here are reviews of eight Interchangeable Knitting Needles Sets. Read the reviews to find out more.
Each product review features the available cord lengths and the material of the tips. Let’s take a look.
1. Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Sharp Steel Knitting Needle Set
Premium stainless steel knitting needle set includes 13 pairs of 4″ (10cm) tip length.
Sharp tips US sizes 2-15
- Needle Tip Sizes – 2.75mm, 3.25mm, 3.5mm, 3.75mm, 4mm, 4.5mm, 5mm, 5,5mm, 6mm, 6.5mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm
- Includes 4 cable sizes in 16″, 24″,32″ and 42″. When using the swivel cord it prevents curling of the cable as you knit.
- Includes tightening grip tool, small cable connectors, tip adaptors, panda stoppers, single point adapters, snips, darning needles, and safety pins.
- Comes with a brocade case to hold everything.
- Made of stainless steel
- Stitches slide over the needle
- Smooth connections, yarn doesn’t snag at the joins
- Flexible Swivel Cables to prevent twisting of the cord.
- Tip adapter for using the larger size needles
- Nifty tools – tightening gripper and cute panda stoppers, snips, and darning needles
- Includes lifeline holes which expert knitters highly recommend for ease of the task of fixing mistakes
- Use the extra cables as stitch holders
- Good for fingering weight yarns and lace weight yarns
- Easy to travel with
- The sharpness of the needle points is excellent for lace knitting.
- The case is stronger than the vinyl case some models have
- May need to use waxed paper on first use to stop yarns sticking
- Knitter who moves the points with your finger, beware! They’re super sharp
- You can’t use the small size tip cables with the large size tip cables
2. ChiaoGoo Twist Tip Interchangeable Complete Set
ChiaoGoo sells three sets –
- Small – 7 sizes – US 2 (2.75mm), US 3 (3.25mm), US 4 (3.55mm) , US 5 (3.75mm), US 6 (4mm), US 7 (4.5mm), US 8 (5mm)
- Large – 6 sizes – US 9 (5.5mm), US 10 (6mm), US 10.5 (6.5mm), US 11 (8mm), US 13 (9mm), and US 15 (10mm)
- Chiaogoo 7400 c Twist Tip Interchangeable Complete set – 13 sizes
Sets of these needles come with
- 4″ (10 cm), surgical-grade, stainless steel metal, lace tips
- Three cables: 8″ (20cm), 14″ (35cm), and 22″ (55cm)
Chiaogoo Red Lace Twist red cables are a multi-strand steel cord coated with red nylon and memory-free, so no kinks!
Included in the twist set are –
- Easy-to-read, coded cable connectors
- End stoppers
- T-shaped tightening keys
- Stitch markers
- Needle gauge
- Fabric carry case
- Smooth surface and fast tip
- A longer taper than HiyaHiya tips and sharper
- The cables are memory free, so they don’t kink
- Variety of nifty tools
- Tips of these metal needles have a lifeline hole
- Popular with lace knitters as the sharp tips help with accuracy
- Made in China
- Memory free cables
- Great for the magic loop, the flexibility of the cord makes it easy
- Easy to use cable connector
- Different sized tips are marked
- Some knitters don’t like the ‘zing’ sound the needles tend to make when they slide over each other.
- You can’t use the small size tip cables with the large size tip cables.
3. Knit Picks Options Wood Interchangeable Knitting Needle Set
The Rainbow Interchangeable Knitting Needle Set from Knitpicks features gorgeous rainbow-colored laminated birchwood.
It has smooth joins, flexible cables, and the right amount of grip.
Set Of These Needles Come With
- Rainbow Interchangeable Needle Tips – (Tip length is 4-3/4″)
- 9 Pairs in US Different Sizes: 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5 and 11 (3.50mm, 3.75mm, 4.00mm, 4.50mm, 5.00mm, 5.50mm, 6.00mm, 6.50mm, and 8mm)
- Cables – 2 each of 24″ and 32″ lengths
- Accessories – 9″ x 5″ snapped clear vinyl needle case, 8 end caps, and 2 cable keys
(The cables’ sizing is the length when the needle tips are attached to the cables.)
The Rainbow knitting needle sets are popular and sometimes are out of stock. The next best alternative is the Mosaic Options Set.
- Gorgeous colored wooden needles
- Smooth surface
- Excellent durability
- Knitpicks have a replacement policy for damaged or defective items
- Excellent customer service
- Your knitting experience is enhanced with the colorful tips
- Afforable price
- Great for magic loops
- Use the extra cables as stitch holders
- Vinyl snap lock case isn’t as appealing
- Different needle sizes are not marked
4. addi Click Rocket Lace Long Tip Interchangeable System
The addi interchangeable brass metal long tips (5″ long) are coated with white bronze. Addi no longer uses nickel plating.
The addi company has an excellent reputation for the craftsmanship of high-quality knitting needles sets. 24 different needle combinations.
- 8 different knitting needle sizes US 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
- 3 blue addi SOS Lifeline insertion Cords for 24″, 32″, and 40″ needles
- 1 Click connector
- All the contents fit into a pink case
- Designed and made in Germany
- Lifetime Guarantee
Addi prides itself on its patented design of a ‘click-in tip.’ There are only click connections in the addi interchangeable knitting needle system. The click-in tip mechanism works with little effort.
- Insert the cord end into the addi interchangeable tip end
Users love these interchangeable knitting needles as they don’t come apart. This is a great interchangeable circular knitting needle system.
- The lace tips are sharp enough to grab the yarn
- Yarn glides over the joint between the needle and the cable
- Easy to put the needle and cable together, fast click connections
- The tip and cable don’t come apart when knitting
- Lifeline insertion point at each end of the cables.
- The addi click connector joins 2 cables together to make a longer one.
- Comes with a Lifetime Warranty from any manufacturer’s defect.
- Longer cable size is suitable for the magic loop technique
- Smooth, fast metal needles
- Some users reported when first using them, the connection was stiff
- The plating becomes tarnished with use
- The join between the cable and tip is not as seamless as the others mentioned here. People found the gap snags the yarn.
- Only 3 cables, you might have to buy spares if you lots of projects on the go
5. Lykke Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set
Lykke is Norwegian for happiness. This is one of the best interchangeable knitting needle collections.
The 5″ sets come in 3 different styles.
- Grey Set – Grey ends and a dark grey denim pouch
- Indigo Set – Blue ends with a blue denim pouch
- Umber Set – Golden brown ends and a mustard-colored pouch.
The tips in this set are a soft, weathered grey. They aren’t made from driftwood, rather from birch. Users love the warming wood in their hands.
The 5″ sets of the interchangeable circular knitting needle come in the following size tips (US sizing & Millimeters)
- US4/3.5mm, US5/3.75mm, US6/4mm, US7/4.5mm, US8/5mm, US9/5.5mm, US10/6mm, US10/6.5mm, US11/8mm, US13/9mm, US15/10mm, US17/12m
- 2 24″ cords, 2 32″, 1 40″
- 2 connectors used for cable extenders, 4 keys, 8 stoppers
The tips aren’t so pointy, but they’re not blunt. An excellent in-between tip. They’re the longest tip reviewed in this article.
When first using them, tighten the join between cable length and tip with the kit’s key. The cable key is a wire with a loop at the end. Use a little pressure to ensure a tightly fastened join.
This secures the join and makes sure you don’t have a problem later with your knitting project.
I’d suggest doing a test knit and creating a swatch to ensure you don’t have any problems.
- Smooth needle finish
- Appealing weathered loo
- Joins don’t snag the yarn
- Each size is etched into the end of the tip.
- Flexible cables
- Does the job for the magic loop method
- One of the better choices for arthritic hands
- These needle sets are handcrafted in Kathmandu, Nepal
- Pockets included in the fabric case
- Some people had issues with the cable connectors being too long and snagged the yarn.
6. Knitters Pride Dreamz Deluxe Interchangeable Needle Set
- 9 US Sizes: US 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5 & 11
- 4 Cords to make 24″, 40″ & 2 32″;
- 1 set of size markers
- 8 end caps
- 4 cord keys
- 1 cord case
Each needle size of the Knitter’s Pride (Knitpro) Dreamz set is a different color for easy identification. These needles are made of laminated birch wood with a slick, tapered finish.
They’re lightweight and good for those with hand fatigue.
The Knitter’s Pride interchangeable knitting needles tips aren’t too pointy. The knitter’s pride needles tip screws onto the cord joint. Use the cord key to tighten. In other countries, this interchangeable knitting set is labeled Knit Pro.
- Suits a variety of projects.
- The birch wood needles have a smooth finish
- Smooth join between the cable and the tip is smooth
- Great for those with hand strain or pain.
- You won’t accidentally knit with two different needle size tips.
- 32 cable and needle combinations
- Darker color tips may be difficult to see with dark-colored yarn
- Not suitable for magic loop
7. Clover Takumi Interchangeable Needles Set
This set of interchangeable needles is great for beginners. I’ve knitted with circular Clover needles and DPNs. The bamboo needles are smooth, lightweight, and easy to work with.
You can use them for multiple projects and the best knitting needles for those who enjoy working with bamboo.
The Takumi Bamboo set has twelve knitting needle sizes. Each has the size and mm etched on it.
Tip length to join is
- 9.5 cm (3.75″) for needle sizes US 3-10 1/2 (3.25mm to 6.5 mm)
- 10.5 cm (4.13″) for US 8, 13 & 15 (8 mm, 9mm, & 10mm).
Five lengths – 16″, 24″, 29″, 36″, and 48″.
A screw join connects the two parts. You screw the tip into the cord. The bamboo needles are enclosed in a leather-like zippered fabric case.
- Smooth bamboo needle tips and joins
- Flexible cables
- Easy to work with
- Bamboo needles tips are tapered
- Good for the magic loop
- Made in Japan
- Good value for money
- Little chance of them breaking
- Some people said the bamboo needles joins sometimes separate. Ensure they’re fastened
8. Denise Interchangeable Blue Kit Brights
The kit, manufactured in the United States, contains ten pairs of plastic resin needle tips. In addition to this solution, Denise has a lot of options for the beginner in their collection.
- 10 pairs of different sizes – US 5 / 3.75mm to US 15 / 10mm
- Six cords (5″, 9″, 12″, 14″, 16″, and 19″)
- Connector piece
- Four end buttons
- A blue case
- Tips are formulated plastic resin
- The different needle sizes are fun colors
- A simple twist and turn to attach the tip to cable
- Made in the USA
- Suits a beginner’s needs
- Family owned and operated business
- These products are good if you’re on a budget
- The plastic cases hold the pairs of needle tips snuggly
- Smallest pairs of needles may bend if you’re knitting tightly
Learn more in my full review of Denise Interchangeable Needles.Check Price On Amazon
What Are Interchangeable Knitting Needles?
Interchangeable Knitting Needles are a needle tips pair joined by a flexible cable. However, the cable isn’t fixed.
They’re fabulous for knitting in the round. Sweaters, hats, socks, and more.
How Do They Differ From Fixed Circulars?
The cord isn’t fused to the knitting needles at each end. The knitting needles and cable are separate pieces connecting with a screw link or twist and click.
Typically the ends have a screw-type fitting. The cables have a hollow end.
The attaching method varies.
- Screw on
- A little key for locking the tips to the cables.
What’s To Love
Knitting patterns call for specific needle size and cable length. The advantage of having a quality interchangeable needle set is you have many different options.
This saves knitters realizing their craft basket contains knitting needles they never use! (1) Sometimes, they have multiples of the same needle size!
Quality Interchangeable Needles solve these problems.
The best interchangeable needles have various knitting needles with cables in a case. Mix and match the knitting needles and cables. Construct as many circular knitting needles as the parts allow.
When the project grows, the weight rests on your lap.
Thread thin embroidery yarn through the pin hole (the pinhole is before the tip) on the needle or connector for a life line. Great for lace knitting.
Work on many projects with the same tip. Remove the needles from the cable add two end caps to secure your stitches. Then use the ends on another project.
Make extra-long cables by using a connector to join different interchangeable needles cables.
How Are They Measured?
From tip to tip. (The length of the interchangeable needles and the wire connecting them combined.) They range from 16 to 40″.
What Does The Best Interchangeable Needle Set Have?
The best interchangeable needle set has these:
- Smooth joins
- Both parts remain connected
- The best interchangeable needles have flexible cables
- At least 6 diameters of tips
- At least 4 lengths of cables
- Smart looking case
- End caps
What Makes The Best Interchangeable Knitting Needle Set
Most sets are an investment. Consider these criteria before buying.
What Needle Material?
They’re made from many types of materials, like aluminum, carbon fiber, stainless steel, wood, bamboo, or plastic.
The best kinds of interchangeables are high-quality items. Choose the material you enjoy working with and what suits your projects and yarns.
What Knitting Projects Do You Do?
If you create many projects, having larger ones for your knitting activity is good. If you’re a lace knitter or sock knitter, opt for smaller needle sizes.
Short Or Long Tips?
Some knitters swear by interchangeable needles with long ones (5-5.5″.) They’re easier to hold and don’t cause cramping in the hands.
The short ones (3.5-4″) make smaller circles. Great for socks or sleeves.
These measurements are from the end of the needle to the cable connection.
What Are Lace Tips?
Some are ‘Lace Tip needles”. They’re sharp and pointy for intricate stitches when knitting lace patterns.
Not So Kinky
Choose flexible and smooth cables. Some sets have rotating swivel ones.
Connectors create extra-long cables. Perfect for bigger projects, afghans, and blankets. Most of the best interchangeable knitting needles have these.
Let’s Put A Stop To It
End caps stop stitches coming off the cables when the interchangeable needles are removed. Perfect for trying on a garment to check it.
Other Nifty Tools
Some sets have a pin. This tool ensures the connection point is strong.
Grippers connect the tip and cable. Place one over a needle and another over the wire. Twist the parts in the opposite direction.
Stitch Markers come in handy to
- Mark a round beginning
- Pattern repeats
- Where to increase and decrease.
The knitting needles set by Clover are my preference. The bamboo tips are smooth, lightweight, and comfortable. The cables are flexible and don’t kink. This creates the best knitting experience.
An interchangeable knitting set is a worthwhile investment. If you already have interchangeable knitting needles set, I’d love to hear about it. Tell me in the comments.
(1) Keith Harper, Knitting-needle ladder used by Blake to escape. Retrieved from theguardian.com/world/1966/oct/24/russia.keithharper, Jan 2020