Why not use the internet to buy types of yarn? There are many beautiful, one-of-a-kind products at your fingertips.
In this post, I have the best yarn companies and how to buy yarn online.
My Quick Recommendations
- The Best Place To Buy Yarn Online – Knit Picks
- Best Luxury Yarns – Love Crafts
- Best Budget Yarns – Lion Brand Yarn
Table Of Contents
- Best Place To Buy Yarn Online
- Knit Picks – The Best Place To Buy Yarn Online
- Love Crafts
- Lion Brand Yarn
- Jimmy Beans Wool
- Fabulous Yarn
- Purl Soho
- Why Should You Shop Online
- How Do You Shop For Yarn?
- Things To Remember When Buying Yarn Online
- Which Is The Best Yarn To Buy?
- Where Can I Buy Inexpensive Yarn?
Best Places To Buy Yarn Online
A collection of the best online yarn stores on the internet to buy yarn.
My top recommendations are below.
KnitPicks is an excellent online yarn store in this list of places to buy yarn. Due to its range and high-quality items. Founded in 2002.
An easy-to-use search filter categorizes by yarn weight, color, fiber, and more.
They’ve developed yarn lines for specific purposes. Yarn shopping has never been so easy! Dishie Yarn (a worsted weight yarn) for dishcloths, and Fable Fur, ethical faux fur yarn.
Their customer service team are experts and very willing to help with any questions.
The Learning Center section is full of helpful tips.
- Based in the US, they often use USA and Canadian yarn
- Ethical sourcing
- Excellent email list
- Many video tutorials and posts on their blog
- Free shipping with orders over $75
- Easy return policy
- Quality goods and accessories, like cotton yarn
- They sell undyed yarn
- Loved by knitters
- Easy to navigate
- Plenty of patterns from independent designers
- Often have promo codes for discounts
- They offer excellent knitting tools
- Expect a prompt reply from their support team
- Some colors aren’t exactly accurate to the real product
More for inspiration, patterns, and knitting supplies, though you can buy yarn.
Exclusive brands and many familiar favorites. Something for everyone. Excellent quality thick yarns perfect for using for a blanket.
(Note: Love Crafts was formerly Love Knitting.)
- Patterns, books, and inspiration for your knitting project
- Products created by talented knitters all over the world
- Easy to filter your search by fiber, weight, color
- Varied price range
- Fair return policy
- Easy to make orders
- International shipping
- Active and large community
- Shipping prices are high
Family-run and owned since 1878. Run by the fifth generation, they transitioned into the digital age in 1998.
They age well, releasing wonderful products yearly. One of the best places to buy yarn. Besides yarn, they have kits, patterns, and knitting notions.
They’re committed to positive social and environmental change.
- Excellent yarn selection
- Many free patterns
- Wonderful variety of products
- Excellent for searching for gifts
- Vibrant and engaging social channels
- International shipping
- Fair prices
- Excellent return policy
- Regular clearance sales
- One of the yarn retailers that only sell yarn from their brand
- No free shipping
The giant of e-commerce, they sell almost everything you could want.
It’s the best place to buy yarn in bulk online. They offer discounts when you buy ten or more of the same yarn. It’s great for yarn in bulk for a large project.
For wholesale buying, go to the seller or buy from a department store.
- Many sellers and different products
- They sell many knitting items
- If you’re an amazon prime member, use the discounts and free shipping
- Easy to use if you’re familiar with the website already
- Your online purchases in one place
- Selections of yarns from well-known yarn retailers
- Colors may not be entirely accurate
- Some yarns don’t ship if you live outside the US
Here are some yarns I’ve recommended in my Best Yarn for Baby Blankets and Yarn for Socks post.
Note: Clicking the above links takes you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews on Amazon.
Started in 2002 by Laura Zander and her husband, Jimmy Beans Wool is named after Laura’s nickname. The ‘beans’ is from when they ran a coffee shop.
They have many brands and have created many innovative products. Plenty of selection, from cheaper acrylic to luxury yarns like cashmere.
- Family-owned company
- Trusted and loved by knitters, crocheters & makers worldwide who shop there
- Friendly community
- Fabulous merchandise, like knitting needles
- Unique yarns
- Flat Rate shipping of $5 for orders within the US.
- Free shipping in the US with orders over $75
- Good return policy
- Easy to use website
- Many free patterns
A yarn shop with many popular yarn brands, like Patons and Lily Sugar & Cream, Bernat and Caron. They also acquired Red Heart.
Note: The Red Heart website redirects to Yarnspirations.
Their selection is extensive. They sell patterns, notions, books, bags, and many more. Everything a knitter needs.
A bright burst of color characterizes many of their yarns.
- Well trusted company
- Many yarn options and weights, from superfine to worsted weight yarn
- Prompt and trackable shipping
- Reachable by email if you have trouble, quick and friendly responses
- Great price range
- Free patterns available
- Few luxury or handcrafted yarn options
A luxury yarn store selling beautiful, handcrafted yarn balls. It’s a small, independent yarn company with a small yarn store in the NY State area.
They have lovely wool yarn from sheep and alpaca. Plenty of beautiful wool dreaming of being added to your yarn stash!
- Many hand-dyed luxury skeins
- Wool yarn and plant fibers
- Lovely yarns of all weights
- Great specialty yarns you won’t find anywhere else
- Fast and international shipping
- Good returns policy
- Free shipping in the US for orders over $75
- Smaller range than most companies
A family-owned business with a physical location and online. Purl Soho was founded in 2002. (There’s a pattern in these companies’ founding year!)
They have handcrafted, exquisite knitting supplies with, of course, yarn! Beautiful ideas for your next project and something to suit any tastes.
They focus on diversity and pay great attention to their clientele.
- Beautiful quality products, like knitting needles and bags/pouches.
- Much effort put into their selection
- Extensive resources on many crafts
- Hand-dyed skeins of many colors
- Hundreds of positive reviews
- Transparent and excellent return policy
- Easy to make and manage orders
- High shipping fees
Why Should You Shop Online?
Shopping for yarn in a yarn store is an experience. Yarn stores are lovely places, full of yarn, needles, and all things knitting.
Times are changing with the purchasing preferences of knitters. (1)
You can also feel the wool. Buying yarn online, you can’t touch the product. That’s the only downside to the best places to buy online.
There are many reasons to shop online, including
- If you have limited mobility
- If yarn stores aren’t near where you live
- If you don’t have transport options
- If you don’t feel like going out!
- When you can’t visit a craft store
- Deals and discounts aplenty
- Delivered straight to your door
- Spoiled for choice
- Brands not accessible otherwise
- When you can’t leave home
How Do I Shop For Yarn?
- Browse through the yarn shops to choose a yarn store
- Use the tips below to choose the perfect yarn
- Add it to your cart, browse around for other things you need to buy.
- Pay for your order at the checkout.
- Arrange the shipping
- Celebrate! Your purchase will arrive in the mail!
If you get stuck, every yarn company has dedicated customer service.
Know What Yarn You’re Looking For
Things to keep in mind when looking for the perfect yarn.
- What fiber?
- What weight?
- How much do you need?
- What colors?
- What type of yarn?
- Can you machine wash it?
- Does it have reasonable pricing?
- What form (hank, skein, ball, cake?)
- What are you making? (Mittens, scarves, hats, a sweater, or socks?)
Remember Your Yarn Symbols & Labels!
Yarn labels are essential. They have the specifics of the product. Like:
- Yarn Weight – Ranging from 0-7, it explains how thick it is
- Gauge – Am estimate of the recommended gauge for knitting
- Needle Sizing – Recommended needle sizes.
- Yarn Amount – How much you get in one ball
- Care Instructions – How to wash/take care of the material
Make a checklist of what you need, and reference this.
Things To Remember When Buying Yarn Online
Remember The Desired Specifics
Keep track of what you need! Refer to your pattern/project guidelines.
Read The Product Description
They contain important information on all aspects of the item. Don’t want to miss something important!
Read Customer Reviews
When you can’t test or see the yarn, read the reviews on the yarn page.
Does it wash and knit up well? Is it colorfast? Does it knit up well? People include these details and more.
Watch Out For Bargains & Sales
Yarn websites run regular sales or savings.
Keep track is by signing up for the newsletter. Often, they offer 10-15% percent off your first purchase. These aren’t just promotional email lists. They include knitting techniques, tips, tricks, and smart ideas.
Or follow the company on social media. Sometimes they post about offers.
They’ll often have limited-time deals. Online stores run clearance sales too!
Fibers for winter (wool, mohair, or alpaca) are in clearance during warmer months. Ones for summer are cleared during colder months.
Another way to save is by buying a kit. The yarn is cheaper, plus materials and patterns are included. Sometimes they have boxes or a bundle pack.
Returns, Exchanges, Refunds
Not happy with your purchase? Return, exchange, or get it refunded.
Read the return policy from the company before you buy it.
Which Is The Best Yarn To Buy?
It depends on the item you’re knitting, what fiber you prefer, what colors you need, what weight, and how much of it you need. Use your pattern and project as guidelines for the yarn you buy.
Where Can I Buy Inexpensive Yarn?
Knit Picks offers brilliant affordability and low prices. Amazon is an excellent spot to buy yarn in bulk for a discounted price.
Other places to try Webs and Joann or Knitting Warehouse.
I hope this resource on the best online yarn shops was helpful. What’s your favorite online yarn manufacturer or your best place online to buy yarn from? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
(1) Stacey Trock, Yarn Industry News Update: January 2020. Retrieved from https://craftindustryalliance.org/yarn-industry-news-update-january-2020/, Feb 2020