There are two types of knitting machines. Cheaper circular knitting machines for home use/kids, or robust flat bed knitting machine versions. We’re covering the 10 best knitting machines in this post.
Want serious flat bed machines? See here.
My Quick Recommendations
- My Top Pick – addi-Express Professional Knitting Machine – great value and reliable. Suitable for hobbyists and small knitting projects.
- Best For Larger Circular Projects – addi Express Kingsize – fabulous for knitting hats and scarves. Sturdy, fast, and durable.
Note: The links take you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews for the item on Amazon.
Want more? Read my reviews of the best knitting machines.
Some knitters swear by these tools. Don’t have the hours for hand knitting? A knitting machine saves you time. Knitting Machines are excellent for knitted hats, cowls, sweaters, and blankets.
A knitting machine is 20 times faster than traditional hand knitting. Discover another world of stitching. My Knitting Machine review has hand-cranked knitting machine alternatives. Here are the best and most popular Knitting Machines.
I reviewed, fact checked and updated this post on May 16, 2023.
Table of Contents
- Best Knitting Machine For Home Use
- addi Express King Size – Best Luxury Option
- addi Express Professional – Best For Most People
- Sentro Smart Weaver Knitting Machine – Best Budget Pick
- NKOK Singer Knitting Machine
- Prym MIDI Knitting Mill
- Pyim Knitting Mill Max
- Flat Bed Knitting Machines
- Silver Reed Knitting Machine
- Silver Reed Electronic Knitting Machine
- Bond Knitting Machine
- The Ultimate Sweater Machine
- Recommended Knitting Machine Comparison Chart
- Machine Knitting Facts
- Types of Knitting Machines
- What Does A Knitting Machine Do?
Best Knitting Machine For Home Use
Bottom line, the best knitting machine for home use, is the Addi Express Kingsize Knitting Machine. Create knitted fabric for scarves, cowls, hats, and flat sections. Using a knitting machine for simple creations saves time. You won’t need to learn too many techniques to use this home knitting machine. See my review.
Addi Express – 48 Needles Knitting Machine – King size Design – Best Luxury Option
#1 Best Selling larger-sized Circular Knitting Machine. The addiExpress King size Extended Edition is worth the money. This product is loved by knitters who complete hats, baby blankets, garments for keeping your neck warm, and other knitted items.
Many call it the best machine for knitting. Want to speed up your gorgeous finished knits? Consider the addiExpress King size Extended Edition.
The kit includes
- Addi Express King Size Knitting Machine
- Five replacement needles (replacement pins)
- Punch cards
- 1 threading tool
- 2 stoppers
- 4 base feet
- Needle holder
- 2 clampers (screw hooks)
- Decrease needle
- “Winding instead of Knitting” pattern book
- Instruction manual
- addi Express Crochet Hook
The Addi Express King has 46 needles, twice than in the original one, allowing larger pieces. Hand cranked by turning the handle. You finish in a shorter amount of time than if you hand-knit. The time to seam flat pieces together is the same.
- Sturdy construction materials with a simple setup for beginners.
- Addi Express machines offer excellent construction quality.
- Addi Express machines are straightforward to set up and begin knitting on
- Less time in completing designs, and offers rows back and forth and in the round knitting functions for projects requiring the assembly of pieces.
- Makes panels.
- Lacks tension piece control mechanism: the only thing controlling your stitch size on the Addi is your knitting yarn. The yarn guide is there to keep your yarn in place. You’ll need to use hand manipulation to adjust it.
- There is no way to adjust the tension piece on these machines to make the stitch smaller or bigger.
- Experiment to determine whether your knitting yarn is suitable
- The Addi can’t offer anything other than a 46 stitch knitted circle.
- Unreliable digital row counter with memory function
- Latch hook may split yarn if it’s too big
Making A Hat On The Addi Express Knitting Machine
SkacelKnitting has a fantastic tutorial on making a knitted hat in 30 minutes. Impossible? Not with an Addi Express Knitting Machine!
Knitting a Flat Panel On The addi Express Kingsize
Here’s a tutorial on Knitting a Flat Panel piece. Created by SkacelKnitting on YouTube.
addi Professional Knitting Machine – Best For Most People
The addi-Express Professional (aka the addi pro) features 22 needles. Machine knit circular knitted items in knit stitch and panels. The size of the tube is fits around your arm or leg. Stitch together flat pieces to make knitted items wider.
Good for creating knitted items like premmie hats, doll bonnets, narrow scarves, mittens, fingerless gloves, and baby sweaters. Good as a sock knitting machine. This machine has these extras: a pattern book, 5 replacement needles, 1 threading tool, 4 feet, and 2 clampers.
- 22 needles.
- Create circular and plain knitted items and suits many yarns.
- Great for a beginner.
- Made in Germany with a lifetime warranty.
- Easy to create smaller sized projects in a short time. Perfect for making small hats for Premmie babies or dolls, socks, scarves, and fingerless gloves.
- Wonderful for projects donated to charities.
- Difficult to get neat edges when creating rows of knit stitches for flat panels.
- Not for bulky weight yarn, stiff yarn, or cotton yarn.
The Sentro Knitting Machine – Best Budget Pick
This kids knitting machine can knit scarves, beanies, shoulder bags, socks, forearm warmers, and other custom products.
Kids love seeing the loops create something they made. The Sentro Smart Weaver Knitting Kit Machine is recommended for six and up. A small circular knitting machine, perfect for the little knitter.
- This knit loom machine creates tubes or flat bits.
- Suitable for ages 6 & up.
- Stages of use require adult help.
- No sewing needle comes with the Sentro knitting machine.
NKOK Singer Knit Machine – Perfect For Kids Knitting Projects
Made from plastic but treated with care, it lasts longer. Younger users need help with casting on and off. Kids need to pay attention to go at a reasonable pace while making knit scarves, beanies, shoulder bags, socks, and forearm/leg warmers.
The NKOK Knitting machine is pink and white. Recommended for ages eight and up. The knitting machine toy pack includes:
- 20 plastic needle Knitting machine
- Two skeins of yarn
- One knitting hook
- One yarn needle
- Lightweight and portable, with a simple set-up for young ones.
- Great introduction to knitting.
- Assembly required
Prym MIDI Knitting Mill Machine – Great For Socks
It’s portable due to the smaller size. The largest number of stitches is 20 when knitting in the round and 16 when knitting flat panels. Try a sample before making something big.
- This knitting machine DIY is lightweight and easy to use.
- Made in Germany.
- Suitable for small projects, tubular and flat panels.
- Mode switch for added flexibility.
- Work slowly to ensure no dropped stitches.
- Takes experimenting to find suitable yarn.
Prym Knitting Mill Maxi
It’s lightweight and hand-operated. The largest number of stitches is 44 knitting in the round and 40 knitting back-and-forth panels.
- Lightweight circular design.
- Made in Germany.
- Easy to use.
- Suitable for circular and flat panel design.
- Work slowly to ensure no dropped stitches.
- Takes experimentation to find a suitable yarn weight.
Flat Bed Knitting Machines
Silver Reed Mid-Gauge Machine – Flat Knitting
The Silver Reed Model LK150 is a good starter mid-gauge (6.5mm) knitting machine. This flatbed knitting machine knits a range of yarns, including Sport weight through to worsted weight yarns. Experiment with heavier yarns.
The flatbed machine is lightweight and sturdy. It’s a fancier version of the Bond Elite. This model doesn’t work with lower quality worsted weight yarn you’d get from a dime store. They cause stress on the carriages as they’re less pliable than quality yarns. Create projects like sweaters, mittens, beanies, and blankets.
- Excellent for beginners as the manual is clear and easy to follow.
- Lightweight, easy to set up and pack away.
- Finding replacement parts is easy.
- Includes a latch tool.
- Not for bulky yarns or low quality worsted weight yarns.
Here’s a video showing the setup.
Silver Reed Standard Gauge Electronic MachineCheck Price On Amazon
The SK840 knits stockinette and hand-manipulated designs like slip, tuck, fair isle, thread lace, knit-weaving, and plating. A DIY knitting option.
It knits lace, fingering, and sport weight yarns. Couple it with the data cables, DesignaKnit Software, your computer, and knit Punch Lace, Weaving, Plating.
This knitting machine is 4.5mm stitch gauge with 200 needles. It’s excellent for sweaters and large projects like afghans.
- Creates varied stitch patterns and handles finer yarns.
- Suitable for machine knitters with experience.
- Ribber accessories are available for this model.
- Operating this equipment is a steep learning curve.
- Considerable investment.
- Not always available on Amazon.
Bond Knitting Loom MachineCheck Price On Amazon
Great for making adult garments, coats, afghans, skirts, and children’s garments.
The 100 needles allow 1000 stitches per minute. The needles are metal, and they sit in a hard plastic bed. You get the best results with smooth, medium-weight yarn. Extra-bulky, fine, or nubby yarns give unsatisfactory results.
Use fluffier yarns like mohair, but paired with another yarn. You get four key plates and hand tools to make stitches and complicated knitting machine patterns.
- Supports popular handknit yarns.
- Knits 1000 stitches a minute, so it’s suitable for professionals.
- Challenging to set up so it’s not for beginners.
- Some listings are for used machines.
Ultimate Sweater Machine
A knitting machine with a six-key plate. Superfast for projects like an adult sweater or afghan. Use yarn of different weights, colors and knitting stitches like cable, lace, and fair Isle. Has an instructional video on the basic and fancy stitches. Compatible with hand knitting patterns and ultimate knitting books.
This machine loom has six key-plate to match every size knitting needle from 6 to 10-1/2. It’s a good knitting machine for clothes, too. Make an afghan or sweater up to 100 stitches across.
Knits 1200 stitches a minute. Included is a detailed instructional video on basic stitches and fancy stitches. Has a limited manufacturer’s warranty.
It’s perfect for almost any yarn, from wool to mohair. To help you determine how much yarn you need to machine knit a sweater, I’ve written a series of guides. The first is how much mohair yarn for a sweater.
- Six Key Plate matches knitting needles from 6 to 10-1/2.
- Made in the USA.
- Yarns from sport to chunky.
- Portable and light.
- Make basic and fancy stitches.
- Takes time and a few practice sessions.
- Need to watch the instructional video.
- Requires manual adjustment to do fancier stitches.
Recommended Knitting Machines Comparison Chart
Ease Of Use
Which Yarns & Yarn Weights Do They Suit?
There’s an art to machine knitting. Some hand-knitters think it’s cheating. Machine knitters dispute this. It’s more complicated than hand knitting and being a hand knitter.
Like any new skill and tool, it takes time to master a new tool. With practice, the production and process of knitted garments and accessories, machine knitting is much faster.
William Lee invented the knitting machine in 1589. Knitting machinery development has changed since. The difference between machine knitting and hand knitting is
- Machine knitting is semi/fully automated with knitting needles in a bed
- Hand knitting is done by hand with two knitting needles.
When a hand knitter moves into the field of knitting machines, there are skills to learn. Knitting machines can’t produce all hand-knit stitch types and techniques.
The tuck stitch is possible on some. The tuck lace stitch pattern is exclusive to machines. When creating a stockinette stitch on knitting machines, the purl side is the “right” side! Also, a garter carriage part (garter bar tool) is required to create a garter stitch (looks like purl stitches).
Hand knitters try knitting on a machine and find benefits.
- Saving time with stockinette stitch or rib fabrics.
- Adding skills to their knitting hobby
Automation is much faster than hand knitting. It’s excellent if you make for a profit and have a buying market for your hand knits. Most hand knitters going from hand knitting to a machine experience a steep learning curve. Many argue hand knitting is simple in comparison.
Most machines have a dial with numbers for how big the gauge is. However, these don’t match knitting needle sizes. There is much to master! A modern knitting machine is great for showering loved ones with knitted gifts, and creating your own cool fashion accessories.
Pin For Later
Types Of Knitting Machines Products
Here are the types knitting machine manufacturers create.
- Circular Knitting Machines – Creates knitted tubes for cowls and hats by knitting in the round.
- Flat Bed Knitting Machine – Crafters, smaller-scale knitwear producers, and boutique producers operate these knitting machines. Garments created on a flat-bed machine have side seams. Fabric is knit flat. It’s impossible to knit in the round without special adapters. These machines work rows back and forth. They’re manual. Or punch card (a card with punched holes to determine stitch patterns, where stitches are slipped, tucked, creating texture, like in a cable stitch, or in a different color). Or self knitting machine electronic. (Aka punch card knitting machines. Flat Beds Knitting Machines are categorized into the weights of yarn they work with, into row gauge machines. Ribber attachments create purl stitches.
- (Hand knit gauge is different to the gauge on machines.)
- Fine Gauge Machines – (handles knitting lace weight yarns, thinnest thread yarns, fingering weight yarn, even baby weight yarns).
- Standard Gauge Machine – (handles anything finer than DK weight.
- Mid Gauge Machines – (preferred by hand knitters as they handle sport weight to worsted, including DK weight.
- Bulky or Chunky Gauge Machines – (copes with a range of yarn thickness)
- Single Bed Machine – has one level of machine needles. It produces jersey or stocking stitch knitting.
- V-bed Knitting Machine – two beds located across from each other and produces tubes and flat knitting.
- Brother Knitting Machine Models are a brand popular for knitters wishing to create garter stitch on their automatic machines as they offer a garter carriage. It has the option of an additional carriage, a lace carriage.
It’s quite incredible what industrial computer flat knitting machine versions like Shima Seiki can do. They can even do intarsia color work!
What Does A Knitting Machine Do?
A domestic knitting machine creates knitted fabrics in a semi or fully automated way. It’s used to make flat pieces sewn together to make a garment. The parts of a flat bed knitting machine are
- Needle bed with up to 200 needles
- Knit carriage moving from side to side
The needles look like tiny latch hooks and rest in four positions: non-working, working, upper-working, and hold.
A circular knitting machine has needles in a circle and knits in the round. If the machine is a hand crank, it doesn’t require battery power. It’s much faster than knitting by hand!
Unlike Loom Knitting, that uses a Knitting Loom, there are hooks that the yarn goes around and it is manual with no machination. A Weaving loom or knitting board are other tools entirely and not related to these machines for knitting.
- Cast On – Use the technique the designer decides or your preference. A latch tool cast on in machine knitting matches a long tail cast on in hand knitting.
- Cast Off – Machine and hand-knit differ. A bind-off on the knitting machine uses a latch tool after the last row is knit. They’re similar once completed.
- Decreasing stitches – This is an art form. See this tutorial for more.
- Yarn For Lace Work – Using the transfer tool, move the stitch from one needle to the adjacent needle. Two stitches are on the adjacent needle, and the original is empty.
- Waste Yarn (Scrap Yarn) – This unusual technique is common. For more information, see this video.
What Is The Best Knitting Machine?
Of all the products we researched, reviewed and tested, we liked the addi-Express Professional the best. The product is built to withstand some serious making.
It’s versatile, more affordable than other models, sturdy, and easy to learn. Given those qualities, we believe so many reviews from happy knitters can’t be wrong.
They’re great for beginners or those who want to increase their output.
It’s hard to select the ideal knitting machine. Regardless of what you choose, you’ll save more time with these knitting devices than if you did hand knitting. Good luck using your new favorite tool. 🙂