My Quick Recommendations
- The Best For Most People – Stanwood Needlecraft Wood Umbrella Yarn Swift Medium
- Best Budget Pick – Fiber Artists Supply Co Table Top Swift
- Best Luxury Option – Knitter's Pride Signature Series Swift
Note: Clicking the above links takes you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews on Amazon and Etsy.
They’re specifically designed to make a difficult task a breeze! Pair a durable yarn swift with the best yarn winder, and you’re set.
You could even make a DIY yarn swift project!
Read my reviews of the best yarn ball winders.
Table of Contents
- What Is the Best Yarn Swift?
- Knit Picks Onyx Swift
- Knit Picks Birch Swift
- Stanwood Swift (Medium)
- Stanwood Needlecraft Large Swift
- Stanwood Tabletop Swift
- Maple Tabletop Swift
- Schacht Umbrella Swift
- Beka Swift
- ChiaoGoo Amish Swift
- Knitter’s Pride Swift
- Cute DIY Umbrella Swift
- What Is A Yarn Swift?
- How to Use a Yarn Swift And Ball Winder
Best Yarn Swift
There are many yarn swifts on the market with different features. I’ve listed some of the best yarn swifts in my reviews.
The best yarn swift is one made of sturdy, solid materials, like strong wood, and doesn’t easily break. It works beautifully with any hank of yarn and has a smooth spin.
No need to fear buying yarn in hanks!
Winding yarn with a swift makes life much easier. No need for the ‘knee method’ or chair. Best of all, no disgruntled partners/friends! Makes a huge difference to your life. Say goodbye to a tangled mess of yarn problem.
When choosing the one right for you, think of how much space you have, your budget, and the size of hanks you have in your stash.
Here is my yarn swift reviews.
Onyx Wooden Yarn Swift
Sturdy construction of laminated birch wood in black. The wood umbrella swift is uncomplicated to operate and compact when packed away.
The black finish on these umbrella yarn swifts looks stylish in any room.
- The Knit Picks Yarn Swift is made of laminated birch wood.
- The table clamp has a range of about 1 1/2 to 1 5/8″
- Suitable for different yarn weights and yarn loops
- This umbrella swift yarn winder is made of strong materials
- Spins smoothly and efficiently
- Golden brass hardware.
- Hard-wearing metal screws
- Quick to set up
- This wooden umbrella swift yarn packs down for storage
- Simple to order online
- Creates lovely center pull balls
- Great for a spinner and dyer
- Folds down for portability
- Keeps yarn in place without tangling
- You may need to use wood wax or polish to ensure the center sliding mechanism to go up and down easily. Not a big issue.
You can also purchase a handy silver carry case
Birch Yarn Swift
This KnitPicks yarn swift has sturdy birchwood construction and is compact when closed. (It’s made of the same materials as the previous swift.)
One of my lovely readers, Sonia S, emailed with her experience of using one.
Here’s what she said. “I have the Knit Picks model, and my only complaint is the holding pegs are too small to get a good grip on to turn.”
- Sturdy birchwood
- The table clamp has a range of 1 1/2 inch thick to 1 5/8″
- These yarn swifts are made of strong materials.
- Quick to set up and packs down for storage.
- These wooden yarns swifts feature non-slip pads
- Wind yarn with ease
- Excellent durability
- This model may need to use wood wax or polish to ensure the middle shaft sliding mechanism to go up and down easily.
Stanwood Needlecraft Wooden Umbrella Style (Medium)
A medium-sized solid Umbrella Swift, made of birch wood material with a finely sanded finish. This is a great quality swift.
The craftsmanship is evident, and it would look good in any craft space. Great care has been taken with the construction and performance to ensure it lasts years. An heirloom quality product.
Handles skein lengths of 6ft in circumference. When working, it’s quiet, and the spin is smooth. One of the more popular tool brands.
The manufacturer selects wood pieces without scars or blemishes. These yarn swifts are less vulnerable to breakage.
The ends of metal tying wires are hidden into holes, so no rough edges hurt your hands or snag the yarn.
You can get a swift and yarn winder to match from this company.
- Easy to put together
- The Stanwood Needlecraft Medium size holds up to 6ft skein in circumference.
- Clamps to various surfaces, 1 3/4″ thick
- Sturdy construction of high quality wood
- Offers smooth spins due to the extra fine sanding and center spindle
- Packs down for storage
- Metal crank is fast and smooth
- Creates a lovely yarn cake
- Better performance than some other swifts
- Great for large skeins
- No toxic or unusual smelling varnish fume
- Made of finely sanded birch wood
- The clamp screw part sometimes cracks
- Some might not like the hemp ties holding parts of the machine
- It can break if dropped, stepped on, or bent, so take care.
Stanwood Needlecraft Wooden Umbrella Style (Large)
This umbrella style yarn swift is made of solid wood. The Stanwood Needlecraft large handles hanks with bigger circumferences. When folded out, it takes up space.
This Stanwood umbrella swift works well with all yarn weights. From the finest spun cashmere to super chunky merino roving.
With no metal hooks on the ribs to catch or snag yarn, even the finest strands wind off easily from start to finish. It’s possible to use this yarn swift vertically by attaching it to a chair back.
- These umbrella style yarn swifts are made of solid quality wood
- Handles hank sizes and skeins with an 8.5ft circumference
- Clamps without scratching the surface
- Easily adjust the clamp screw
- Spins with ease.
- Clamps on edges up to 1 3/4 thick
- Exactly what you need in an umbrella design
- No toxic varnish treatment
- Compact when not in use
- Some may not like the hemp ties (hemp cord) holding the umbrella ribs section
- Clamp screws could crack after times of increased use, replacement screws are available
Stanwood Needlecraft Tabletop Amish Style Wooden Swift
Built of solid wood, this tabletop Amish Style swift has pegs to make it easily adjustable for smaller or larger rings of yarn. As the name suggests, it’s used on a table or the floor. Can handle skeins of many string types.
It spins smoothly and makes yarn winding fun.
There are no metal components or screws. It’s made completely of wood. The two wooden base sections fit together, and a short central dowel is placed in the middle. On the dowel is 2 arms; when crisscrossed, create the 4.
When not in use, disassemble and store this Amish style yarn swift.
- Not difficult to assemble.
- Fine sanded finish, so no heavy wood varnish fumes.
- Sturdy when on tables as it has 4 non-slip pads
- Easily adjusted to hold hank sizes of skeins 2 1/2 – 6 ft in circumference
- Smooth spinning
- Adjustable pegs
- Quality parts easily come apart for convenient storage.
- It’s big, not suitable if you have limited space
- Some found it makes a loud noise when rotating. Use wood wax to fix it
Maple Tabletop Swift
This melds the simplicity of their popular tabletop swift arm design with a sealed metal ball bearing system. Suits many different hank circumferences and smoothly winds the big loop of yarn into a ball.
They pride themselves on attention to detail in this skein winder. This company has sold top-quality fiber arts products for years.
Made from maple and cabinet-grade maple plywood in their workshop. This beautiful yarn swift lasts for many years. Creates perfect cakes.
- Receives 5 star ratings
- Sturdy materials
- Smooth surface
- An example of high quality woodworking skills
- Excellent bang for your buck
- Simple instructions
- Rubber stoppers are screwed into the base to keep in place
- Will need space
Schacht Ultra Umbrella Swift
Models the expert knitters and yarn store owners use. This swift is a workhorse. These designs are tough, sturdy, and reliable enough to give to the next generations.
Use this swift both horizontally or angle vertically using a quick-release pin. A swiveling knob and ball bearings create a smooth winding experience. You can choose the option of adding a counter.
- The arms on these umbrella style yarn swifts open from the top down
- This swift clamps on most tables, even those with thick edges
- Smooth surface with fine sanding
- Easy setup with a simple clamp system
- Steel pins and plastic buttons hold the ribs in place
- This heavy duty swift accommodates hank sizes and hank circumferences up to 93″ in diameter
- Large capacity
- Accommodation of different types of yarn weights and yarn types
- Highly durable middle shaft and metal supports
- Collapses for storage
- Screw in clamps don’t damage the surface
- The horizontal or vertical position means you can set it up anywhere!
- No yarn snagging
- Strong, thick screws
- Not lightweight
- Requires a suitable area to mount it
Beka Yarn Swift
The Beka brand is a tabletop swift with a heavy base. Made of hard maple wood, with metal ball bearings making it spin smoothly. It sits on top of furniture, no need for clamping.
Moving yarn up or down accommodates different sizing.
It’s made up of these wooden parts
- 2 long bottom bars to support the dowels
- 2 shorter bars holding the dowels in place on the top
- 4 wooden dowels
- A center support beam
- A base like a lazy susan
- A top nob with a washer
- 4 rubber feet.
This unit is not complicated to assemble. Due to the dowels’ sloping, put smaller yarn circles towards the top and larger ones near the bottom.
- Fewer parts mean it’s easy to assemble with clear instructions
- Rotates smoothly
- Can comfortably accommodate skeins of varying sizes
- Quiet spinning of the circle of yarn
- Great stability and sturdy build
- Easily fits a 1 yarn skein
- Simple to place the wool over the top
- Squeak free
- Will securely hold in place
- This yarn swift makes it easy to wind yarn
- Great value for money
- Doesn’t fold down for easy storage. Disassemble it and pack away pieces in the storage bag
- Requires a fair amount of space
- Spinning can be a bit tight and stiff at first
- Don’t wind too tight as there is a chance the yarn will loose elasticity
ChiaoGoo Wooden Amish Style
The Chiaogoo Amish Design Swift has a smooth wood finish. Handles up to 62” circumference skein of yarn. It has 4 moveable pegs making it adjustable to fit different skein loops.
Putting together this Amish style wooden yarn swift isn’t difficult. It comes in 4 pieces, 2 for the base and two to make the crisscrossed arm sections.
There are 5 dowels, 4 used as pegs, and a shorter one placed in the base’s centre, which the arms go over.
The peg holes are labeled with the size skein in inches and centimeters.
- Simple and fun to use
- Few parts so it’s easy to assemble
- This swift design handles varying circumferences of skein loops
- No clamps – sits flat on the table or floor.
- Suits hank size from small to large
- Smooth finish
- Doesn’t slide because of the non skid pads
- Made of solid and durable wood
- Doesn’t fold and pack away, but users found it easy to disassemble
- Needs space
- Not easy to store
- Small range of sizes it holds
- Wood can dry out or collect moisture
Knitter’s Pride Signature Series Swift
An umbrella-style swift. This style wooden yarn swift clamps on the edge of a table, bench, or chair. Works with smaller amounts of yarn.
- Easy to assemble
- Simple to use
- Very little hassle to store as it folds down
- Great value
- Not as smooth a finish as other swifts. There’s a risk some yarns may catch. My advice tip is to sand it to return the smoothness.
- The rivet holding the ribbing section together sometimes breaks