A yarn baller machine is operated by hand.
What if you don’t enjoy winding yarn by hand or it hurts your hands? Use an electric yarn ball winder.
Read my review of the best electric wool winder.
My Quick Recommendations
- My Top Pick – Ashford Electric Yarn Ball Winder
- Best Luxury Option – Standard Electronic Maple Yarn Winders
Want more info on these things? Read the content below.
Note: There aren’t many options, but these are the best ones.
I reviewed and updated this post on August 17, 2022.
Table Of Contents
- Ashford Electric Yarn Ball Winder
- Standard Electronic Maple Yarn Winders
- What To Look For In The Best Electric Ball Winder
- Which Is Best?
What Is The Best Motorized Yarn Winder?
By far, the best electric yarn ball winder for sale is the Standard Electronic Yarn Winder.
It’s smooth, made of quality materials, and durable.
See my reviews of the best brands for more information. Here are great electric yarn winders to make life easier.
Ashford Electric Yarn Ball Winder
What a lovely choice in the yarn ball winders category! It’s a wonderful addition to a craft room or craft tables.
Make those pesky skeins and hanks into neat yarn cakes. (A yarn cake is a cylinder with flat sides on the bottom and top.)
More details are provided below.
How Does It Compare?
- Construction & Materials Sturdy? – Strong yarn guide and other components
- Smooth To Crank? – Yes, these great yarn winders make it effortless
- What Sizes Of Yarn Balls? – Wind up to (171 1/2 oz) 500gms of yarn. Enough for commercial skeins, especially fingering weight yarn!
- Easy To Set Up? – More complicated than hand operated yarn ball winders, but instructions are included
Produced with beautiful native New Zealand Silver Beech Hardwood.
An outstanding feature is even flow of the yarn and better control over center pull balls than with hand-crank winders.
It’s a worthwhile purchase if you wind a lot.
Like to see an unboxing? Go to the 8.30 mark in this video.
- Clockwise and anticlockwise winding ball functions
- As the yarn winds on the cone, control it with a soft start
- Instant stop when needed
- Foot switch for better yarn control
- Winds yarn purchased to get back to your project faster
- Mounted on rubber feet
- One clamp
- 12v mains power cord
- Silver Beech hardwood with a lacquered finish, native to New Zealand
- Strong yarn guide and other components
- Excellent customer ratings for this tool used to wind balls
- These products are the best crocheting technologies
- Table clamp secures to any table edge
- Shipping to the United States at a reasonable price
- Less hassle because it doesn’t require any cones or tubes
- If you have a question, the seller is responsive
- Sometimes unavailable
- If there is no electricity, you can’t take it outside
Standard Electronic Maple Yarn Winders
Conquer your yarn stash and start knitting your projects with the best yarn winders out there.
When you wind small or jumbo yarn into (centre) center pull cakes, put them in a yarn bowl and start knitting/crocheting!
Yet another reason it’s a suitable addition for your home!
How Does It Compare?
- Construction & Materials Sturdy? – Yes
- Smooth To Crank? – This signature mega wool winder works like a dream!
- What Sizes Of Yarn Balls? – They handle most commercial skeins, from fingering weights to thicker ones
- Easy To Set Up? – Easy to set up on a work surface
The ball winders are plug & play played and operate on 100-240v wall power and a small brushed DC motor.
A speed control knob and LED display are part of the power supply/speed control unit.
The display corresponds to the winder’s speed.
Speed control is a separate unit positioned where the user finds comfortable.
These ball winders have replacement parts like a spool. The pieces are simple to assemble.
Here’s what’s included in the package of this version.
- It’s assembled when it arrives
- The power bank
- An extension cord
- Easy to use
- Adjust the speed for winding yarns
- This thing makes minimal noise
- The sound isn’t annoying
- These knitting tools have even tension
- If you have problems with your order, customer service helps
- Large yarn capacity (one of the largest on the market)
- Great for fiber arts, including weaving and crochet
- These options sit on a tabletop without needing a clamp
- Easy shopping experience with this business
- The wood color is pleasant and makes the process nice
- It’s the perfect chance to organize your yarn stash and an excellent way to get your materials under control
- Has rubber feet on the bottom to hold it in place
- Can’t adjust the direction
- This jumbo ball winder doesn’t deliver to the United Kingdom
- This sort of thing has expensive prices
- Not great for extended usage, give it occasional breaks
- Need an account to purchase things
- Only ships to the US
Hague PDB 250G Electric Yarn Winder
Wind any yarn weight using this automatic yarn winding machine. This winder is ideal for organizing scrap yarn.
If you have trouble using the product, contact their customer service via email. It makes shopping easier!
How Does It Compare?
- Construction & Materials Sturdy? – Lasts a long time
- Easy & Smooth To Crank? – Play operation is effortless
- What Sizes Of Yarn Balls? – Depending on the yarn, the PDB 250g Electric Yarn Winder winds 250gm/ 9oz. Goodbye sore arms, and hello center pull yarn cakes!
A spare bobbin is provided to wind yarn.
Despite being in the UK, this electric skein winder ships internationally.
It’ll be the correct voltage for the country to which it’s being sent. You may have to install a suitable plug for these items.
- When winding a yarn cake, these types of yarn winders have an even flow
- Get back to knitting faster
- This shop makes winders with great functionality
- This motorized yarn winder does not auto-shut off. Once the bobbin is full, switch off the yarn winder
Simplicity Boye Electric Yarn Winder
An alternative model made by Boye – The Simplicity Boye Electric Yarn Winder.
Boye is a knitter and crocheter tool and notions company.
It wound any yarn hank into neat center pull cakes.
I doubt you’ll purchase one models new. Second-hand models may be more readily available. I don’t recommend it.
While it sped up winding yarn cakes by hand, it had to be monitored. Customers complained the motor wasn’t powerful.
The price of the Boye electric yarn ball winder varies depending on where you buy.
How To Use The Boye Electric Yarn Ball Winder
Here’s a video review/demonstration by Good Knit Kisses.
What To Look For In The Best Electric Yarn Ball Winder
Here are key decision-making factors to consider when choosing the best electronic yarn winder.
Are The Construction & Materials Sturdy?
Invest in a product built to last.
The best ones are made of hardwoods and metal.
- Birch wood
- Beech wood
Ensure they won’t break if they’re plastic.
Ensure the gears are protected. If yarn slips beneath the gears, it gets caught. Sturdier models protect the gears.
Is It Easy & Smooth To Crank?
The device should operate without pulling on the yarn.
You need a sturdy yarn winder machine! The electric yarn winder does the winding for you.
What Sizes Of Yarn Balls?
Think about yarn you buy. Are the diameter and weight small hanks, up to 4 oz, or larger skeins and hanks, up to 10 oz?
- For smaller cakes, look for a winder to handle 4 ounces
- Use a 10oz winder for larger cakes
- For anything above, use heavy-duty winders
Is It Easy To Set Up?
Beginners need something quick and easy to wind yarn to tidy up your hanks and extra leftover yarn.
Read the reviews to see what experiences others had.
Which Is Best For You?
- Ashford Electric Yarn Ball Winder – Your best bet in terms of quality and previous happy customers
- Standard Electronic Maple Yarn Winders – Expensive, but has great value. The best yarn winders
How To Use An Electric Yarn Winder And Swift
Here is how to use electric winders and a yarn swift.
Manual Or Electric Yarn Ball Winder?
Here’s a list to decide
- Yarn winders are sold in online stores and local yarn shops, while electric ones are harder to find
- Electric ones are expensive and require a learning curve
- Manual winders take time and energy
Is It Worth Buying An Electric Yarn Winder?
- You have repetitive stress injuries, carpal tunnel, arthritis, tendonitis or hand/wrist/arm pain
- You want to save time
- You buy your yarn in hanks
- You’re a prolific crafter
- You want to control when and where you wind your yarn
- You need to organize a large yarn collection
- You’re an indie dyer/spinner, commissioned fiber artist or owner of a yarn store
How Do You Use An Electric Yarn Ball Winder?
Here is a quick tutorial on how to use this tool.
How Do You Make An Electric Wool Winder?
Using lots of tools, patience, and a good tutorial! Make a DIY electric yarn winder by following these great instructions.
Try this more complicated, efficient setup by Mr. Innovative.
This one is simpler but not the safest option.
Where To Buy An Electric Yarn Ball Winder?
Etsy or Amazon. People sell them second hand, and in craft stores. Few businesses or brands make them.
Read Next – Nifty tools to make knitting easier here.
I’m yet to find an electric yarn winder on a budget. That’s why the Boye Electric Yarn Winder was popular.
Let me know your thoughts in the comments, here or on social media. (Your email address is never published.)
(Note: I’ve never seen an electric yarn swift. Knit Picks doesn’t sell electric yarn winders.)