There are many accessories for knitters. A Knitting Project Bag is essential for keeping everything in one place. I share the best.
If you knit small and large projects or knit more than one project simultaneously, knitting bags are for you. There’s something for everyone with a variety of designs, materials, and sizes.
I reviewed and updated this post on January 8, 2022.
Table Of Contents
- Things To Consider When Looking For The Best Knitting Bag
- Best Knitting Project Bags
- Knitting Travel Case
- Luxja Yarn Storage Bag
- Knit Picks Clear Knitting Project Bags
- Furls Fiberarts Leather Project Bag
- Spoolstories Large Drawstring Project Bag
- Little Gray Rabbit Gray Chevron Project Bag
- Teamoy Blue Flowers Knitting Project Bag
- Stitch Happy Knitting Bag
- Portable Organic Canvas Bag
Things To Consider When Looking For The Best Knitting Bag
Where Do You Knit?
Here are some questions to ask yourself to find a Knitting Project bag to suit.
- Do You Take Knitting When You Travel? – If yes, you need to think about whether or not your knitting is going to be stored in a bag you’re taking or you’ll carry it separately.
- Do You Knit While Commuting To Work? – You won’t want to take up too much room or have your bag get in the way of other commuters. A tote to fit on your lap will be best.
- Do You Knit At Home On Your Favorite Chair Or Couch? – Having a larger bag won’t matter, you can place it beside you or on the floor.
- Do You Like Walking And Knitting?- If you’re a knitter who knits and walks, I think you’re amazing! A skill I am yet to master. A comfortable strap on your forearm is critical. A backpack or across the body bag would suit.
What Do You Knit?
- Do You Create Small Portable Projects? – A smaller bag will suffice.
- Do You Prefer Larger Projects And Don’t Mind Taking Them Wherever You Go? – You may need more than one bag in this case. One for your yarn and then a larger bag to fit your work in progress.
- Do You Like Multi-Color Knitting Projects? – There are bags mentioned below where you can feed different colored yarns through holes at the top.
- Do You Like To Have More Than One Project With You? – Think about the space you need. It might be best to have multiple bags and then one large bag to put them in.
Best Knitting Project Bag
Knitting Travel Case
This lovely case fits underneath most airplane seats and is an easy way to transport your projects. The metal openings on the lid allow you to feed your yarn through when the lid is closed
It measures 12 inches wide x 6 inches Height x 5 inches Depth
- Holds your notions in a tray
- Large enough to hold many balls of yarn
- Has metal feet to protect the bottom
- Strap that can be worn across your body or over your shoulder
- Removeable handles
- Lightweight metal lid. Holds patterns with the magnets included.
- Five lovely colors to choose from.
- Constructed of strong materials.
- When not in use it doesn’t pack down
Luxja Yarn Storage Bag
This knitting bag has a compartment for storing four balls of yarn.
It features an outer zippered pocket and an inner pocket for storing crochet hooks, knitting needles (up to 8″), or other small objects like scissors, measuring tapes, and other notions.
There are four grommets where you can thread yarn through. The top of the bag has a zipper to keep your yarn in place.
The handle is situated on the end of the bag. You can hang it on your wrist or hold it in your hand.
There are 2 sizes:
- Large Dimensions: 11.5″ x 6″ x 6″.
- Small Dimensions: 8.5″ x 5″ x 4.75″.
- Great for knitting with multiple colors
- Keeps everything organized
- Made of durable canvas material
- The inside of the bag is lined
- Users have found that there is not enough room to keep their project as well as the balls of yarn in the small version
- The handle is on the other end of the bag to where the main compartment zips closed.
- If you are using the holes to feed your yarn, you will need another bag to place your project.
Knit Picks Clear Knitting Project Bags
These clear zippered bags make it very easy to see which project is contained in them. There are four sizes for knitted accessories projects up to an afghan.
The smallest bag is for your notions, and the clear vinyl makes it easy to check that you have your yarn needle or stitch markers with you.
The larger three sizes feature web straps, so you can comfortably hold your project bag or sling it over your shoulder.
All the dimensions below are approximate:
- Smallest Tool Pouch – 7.5″L X 5.5″H X 1″W
- Small- 11.25″L x 10.25″H x 4″W
- Medium – 15.75″L x 11.5″H x 5.75″ W
- Large – 20.75″l X 11.25″h X 8.25″ W
- Easy to tell which project the bag contains
- Shows of your beautiful yarn
- They do have a plastic smell at first, but that goes away quickly.
Furls Fiberarts Leather Project Bag
Furls’ Project Handbag comes equipped with 38 tool spaces and two additional accessory pockets.
It has a generous interior pocket that can hold up to 872yds (799m) of yarn. It has a magnetic closure and is available in black or tan leather.
- Plenty of room
- Lots of space for different knitting needles
- Stylish design
- The bag can hold your project, yarn, and pattern
- The two handles are strong and comfortable.
- It is an investment but worth it
- Not suitable for Vegans
Spoolstories Large Drawstring Project Bag
Large drawstring project bag made with cotton fabric and cotton lining. The floral fabric is appealing.
The bag has soft interfacing and stands on its own; it also has a slip pocket on the inside. It can hold up to 5 skeins of yarn.
Dimensions approximately (width x high x deep): Inches 13.5” x 9.5” x 4.5’’
- Lovely design
- Fits yarn and medium-sized knitting projects
- Handwash only
Little Gray Rabbit Gray Chevron Project Bag
This caddy has eight exterior pockets. You have the option to customize the internal space with velcro dividers. Using the two partitions creates three sections.
Dimensions: 13.5″ long, 10″ wide, and 7″ high
- You can take the dividers in and out
- It can be machine washed
- Sturdy and spacious
- Soft handles that will be comfortable in your hands or on your shoulder
- Without the dividers in place, the velcro could damage your yarn
Teamoy Blue Flowers Knitting Bags
This bag is designed for knitting on the go. The strap is comfortable to place over your forearm when you’re knitting and walking. This allows your hands to be free. It is comfortable in your hand when moving the bag.
The middle section closes with a zip. Place your different colored yarns in this section and feed through the reinforced holes at the top.
It has an additional back pocket with a zip to store notions like scissors, tape measure, and stitch markers. The two internal pockets can hold the yarn.
- Portable and easy to carry
- Quality fabric and professionally made
- Suits small knitting projects like hats, mittens, and socks
- When using the reinforced holes to feed the threads through, it caught up in the top zipper.
- Not suitable for large knitting projects like a blanket
Stitch Happy Knitting Bag
A popular cylindrical design bag that measures 13″ x 10.5″. The four-way divider for the interior holds multiple balls of wool.
On the outside are seven pockets for your scissors, tape measure, and needles. It also comes with a small zippered pouch to store other notions and accessories.
- The top lid zips closed
- Adjustable/removable strap
- There are slits at the top to feed the fiber through
- The bag can be lopsided if not all of the four interior compartments are full
Portable Organic Canvas Bag
Features of this handmade product by maker Kailey Stewart of CottageCloth
- 100% organic cotton canvas (GOTS Certified)
- Low-impact ink
- Organic cotton drawstring
- Seven inner pockets hold items vertical
- Sturdy and attractive
- Range of colours
- Can be washed and dried
- Virtually waterproof (2 layers of sturdy, water-resistant canvas)
Knitted Dreams By Eva Drawstring Bag
- A travel drawstring knitting project bag that has a fold down top.
- Plenty of space inside to store projects or yarn.
- Different sized pockets inside to store knitting needles and notions.
- Height -11 inches, width- 9.8 inches, depth- 4.3inches
- The lovely floral fabric contains 60% cotton
- Machine washable on delicate cycle and you can iron it
Do you have any excellent knitting project bag suggestions? I’d love to hear about them. Please leave a comment at the end or get in touch here.
They make beautiful gifts and are a stylish way to keep your WIP, knitting needles, yarn, and tools altogether.