I’ll show you how to master the linen stitch. You’ll learn what the linen stitch is, how to do it, and tips.
I reviewed and updated this post on September 2, 2022.
Table Of Contents
What Is Linen Stitch?
Linen stitch is a two-row repeat pattern. It creates a beautifully textured fabric like the fiber linen! Hence the name.
What Does Linen Stitch Look Like?
The linen stitch looks like woven fabric on the front. On the back, it looks like seed stitch, so it’s not a reversible pattern.
How Do You Knit A Linen Stitch?
Here is how you do the linen stitch knitting pattern.
- Needles to match the size of your yarn
- Yarn needle (for weaving in ends)
Linen stitch is a two-row repeat, using knit, purl and slipped stitch pattern.
Slipping stitches is fiddly. If you have a practice, soon you’ll have no trouble when slipping stitches!
- Row 1: Purl 1. Put the yarn in back and slip one stitch PURLWISE.
- Row 2: Knit 1. Put yarn in front and slip one stitch purl wise.
And you’re done! Just keep repeating until you reach the desired length.
Very Pink Knits shows you how to knit the linen stitch.
How Do You Cast On Linen Stitch?
You’ll need to use the long tail cast on for linen stitch. Make sure you cast on an even number of stitches!
How Do You Increase Linen Stitch?
- Make a new stitch
- Knit next stitch through the back
- Bring the yarn forward
- Slip the stitch you just knitted onto the other needle
- Bring the yarn back.
- Knit one
How To Knit Linen Stitch Scarf
Here’s a charming pattern from Mimi Codd. I love the tassels, just beautiful!
How Do You Knit A Half Linen Stitch?
- Cast on an odd number of stitches
- Purl 1 row
From here on, repeat four rows until you reach your desired length.
- Row 1: *knit 1, bring yarn to front, slip one stitch purlwise, bring yarn to back, repeat from * till the last stitch, knit 1.
- Row 2: Purl.
- Row 3: *knit 2, bring yarn to front, slip one stitch, bring yarn to back, knit 1, repeat from * till the last stitch, knit 1.
- Row 4: Purl.
- Repeat rows 1 – 4.
Half Linen Stitch In The Round
- Cast on an even amount of stitches
- Knit 1 round
- Row 1: *knit 1, bring yarn to front, slip one stitch, bring yarn to back, repeat from * till the end of round.
- Row 2. Knit.
- Row 3: *bring yarn to front, slip one stitch, bring yarn to back, knit 1, repeat from * till the end of round.
- Row 4: Knit.
- Repeat rows 1 – 4.
How To Linen Stitch In The Round
Have an odd number of stitches when working linen stitch in the round.
Learn how to do linen stitch in the round.
Can Linen Stitch Be Done In The Round?
Yes! You can do linen stitch in the round.
Linen Stitch Variations
There’s only one variation of linen stitch, and that’s the half linen stitch.
Linen Stitch On Loom
The only two stitches you’ll need are the knit stitch and slip a stitch with the yarn in front.
Linen Stitch With Two Colors
Linen stitch with two colors looks pretty! Here are a couple of ways to do this.
- Use two strands of yarn as one
- Do one row with one color and the next row with the other color
Linen Stitch With Variegated Yarn
Linen stitch with variegated yarn is so pretty! Use the above pattern to create something multicolored.
Linen Stitch Patterns
Here are free patterns to try!
- Linen stitch fingerless gloves
- Linen stitch wrap
- Linen stitch basket
- Linen stitch cowl
- Linen stitch lace shawl
- Linen stitch hat
- Linen stitch scarf
What Is The Linen Stitch Good For?
Linen stitch is warm and doesn’t stretch much. So it’s great for blankets, shawls, hats, you name it!
Is The Moss Stitch The Same As The Linen Stitch?
No. Linen stitch’s wrong side looks like moss/seed stitch, but the right side is linen stitch.
Moss stitch is a different knitting technique.
Is Linen Stitch Reversible?
Yes, and no. It’s not the same on both sides. One has linen stitch, and the other has moss/seed stitch.
Does Linen Stitch Curl?
Linen stitch doesn’t curl! You don’t have to block it. If your linen stitch is curling, it means your needle size is too small.
Is Linen Stitch Stretchy?
It stretches if you pull it sideways, but not vertically.
Does The Half Linen Stitch Curl?
Yes. Half linen stitch curls.
Linen Stitch Vs Half Linen Stitch
Linen stitch is a two-row repeat, while half linen stitch is a four-row repeat.
Linen Stitch Vs Seed Stitch
The linen stitch looks like seed stitch on the back, but you don’t work it the same way as seed stitch.
Seed stitch is knit one, purl one for every row. Linen stitch is a two-row repeat.
The linen stitch is an easy, textured knitting technique creating a beautiful fabric.
It’s reversible and doesn’t curl or stretch much. I hope you try linen stitch in one of your projects.