Chiaogoo is loved by many knitters. If there’s enough interest in different needles, they make them! Their versatile products make knitting enjoyable, particularly for knitting in the round.
Here’s my in-depth review of the entire range of ChiaoGoo Knitting Needles.
Table Of Contents
- Chiaogoo Interchangeable Needles
- Chiaogoo Single Point Needles
- Chiaogoo Double Point Needles
- Chiaogoo Circular Needles
Chiaogoo Interchangeable Knitting Needles
Read through my reviews to find the best interchangeables to suit you.
Twist Mini Sets
4″ SetCheck Price On Amazon
5″ SetCheck Price On Amazon
Chiaogoo listened to the needs of their customers who wanted smaller diameter needle tips and cables to make smaller circumference projects. The needles have two tightening holes to ensure a secure connection.
- Needle Sizes – 4″ (10cm) TWIST MINI interchangeable set comes with five solid stainless steel tip sizes US 000 (1.5mm), 00 (1.75mm), 0 (2mm), 1 (2.25mm), and 1.5 (2.5mm)
- There is also a 5″ (13cm) tips in sizes US 000 (1.5mm), 00 (1.75mm), 0 (2mm), 1 (2.25mm), and 1.5 (2.5mm)
- Cord Lengths in 4″ set- three twist mini cable lengths to make 16″ (40cm), 22″ (56cm) and 30″ (76cm) circulars
- Cord Lengths in 5″ set – 3 Twist Mini cables measuring 14″, 22″, and 30″ to make circulars of 24″ (60cm), 32″ (80cm), and 40″(100cm).
- Notions – The set comes in a compact, black mesh pouch and includes a sleeve to store your tips in, 2 stoppers, 6 stitch markers, 4 key pins, 2 adapters and a silicon heart for tightening the connection, in a notions plastic compact holder. Also, a needle gauge and ruler.
- Made From – Needles tips are stainless steel and the cords are multi-strand steel coated with red nylon.
- Smooth needle surface
- Long tapered needles with a sharp point
- Cables don’t kink and are memory free
- Perfect for fine lace designs
- Please note: The mini system isn’t compatible with Chiaogoo’s other Small [S] or Large [L] interchangeable systems without the use of one or both of their adapters.
Red Lace Twist SetsCheck Price On Amazon Check Price On Amazon
ChiaoGoo sells three types of Red Lace Twist sets.
- Small, 7 sizes – US 2 (2.75mm), 3 (3.25mm), 4 (3.55mm), 5 (3.75mm), 6 (4mm), 7 (4.5mm), 8 (5mm.)
- Large, containing 6 sizes – US 9 (5.5mm), 10 (6mm), 10.5 (6.5mm), 11 (8mm), 13 (9mm), 15 (10mm).
- Complete, containing 13 sizes.
The Small 4″ (10 cm) set includes surgical-grade, stainless steel lace tips and three cable lengths: 8″ (20 cm), 14″ (35 cm), and 22″ (55 cm) cables to make 16″ (40 cm), 22″ (56 cm), and 30″ (76 cm) circulars.
The Large 5″(13cm) tips set includes, stainless steel lace tips and three cable lengths to make 24″ (60 cm), 32″ (80 cm) and 40″ (100 cm) circulars. The complete set includes all the above.
Twist red cables comprise a durable, multi-strand, steel cord coated with red nylon and are memory free, so no kinks!
Includes coded cable connectors, end stoppers, T-shaped tightening keys, stitch markers, a needle gauge and compact, zipper-enclosed, fabric case. Twist & Spin tips, cables and accessories are all switchable!
The needle tips feature a lifeline hole making adding a lifeline as simple as knitting across the row. These sets are made in China.
- Tip are smooth and fast, and they have a longer taper than HiyaHiya tips and are slightly sharper
- Variety of nifty tools, and the needle tips have a lifeline hole
- A popular choice for lace knitters.
- Great for experts looking to speed up their knitting
- Some knitters don’t like the ‘zing’ sound the needle tips make
- Like the Hiya Hiyas, you can’t use the small size needle tip cables with the large size needle tip cables
Twist Red Shorties Set
Chiaogoo Twist Shorties are wonderful for making small circumference knitted items. They make 9″ (23 cm) through 14″ (36 cm) circulars. The tips have a tightening hole to ensure a secure connection.
- Needle Sizes – The Twist Red Shorties set includes 12 pairs of solid, surgical stainless steel tips needle tips: 6 x 2″ (5cm) in sizes US 0 (2mm) , US 1 (2.25mm), US 1.5 (2.5mm) , US 2 (2.75), US 2.5 (3mm) and US 3 (3.25mm) & 3″ ( 8cm) in sizes US 0 (2mm) , US 1 (2.25mm), US 1.5 (2.5mm) , US 2 (2.75), US 2.5 (3mm) and US 3 (3.25mm).
- Cord Lengths – three flexible MINI diameter red cables (5″/13cm, 6″/15cm & 8″/20cm)
- Notions – end stoppers, tightening keys, connectors, stitch markers and a mini needle gauge in a red, pocket-sized nylon fabric pouch.
- Chiaogoo shorties are perfect for socks, fingerless mitts, wristwarmers, sleeves, baby items like hats and booties.
- Easy to store as they come with their own zippered pouch.
- These very short needle tips will take some getting use to. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how easy they are.
Twist Blue Shorties Set
With Chiaogoo’s Blue Shorties set, you can make 9″ (23 cm) through 14″ (36 cm) circulars. This set includes 10 sets of needle sizes.
- 5 x 2″ (5cm) solid stainless steel & 3″ (8cm) hollow stainless steel interchangeable tips from US4 – US8 (3.5 – 5mm).
- 5 x 3″ (5cm) solid stainless steel & 3″ (8cm) hollow stainless steel interchangeable tips from US4 – US8 (3.5 – 5mm).
- The 2″ (5cm) tips have a tightening hole to ensure a secure connection.
- Cord Lengths – three [S] diameter blue X-Flex cables (5″/13cm, 6″/15cm & 8″/20cm) in a secure tip sleeve.
- Notions – end stoppers, tightening keys, connectors, stitch markers and a mini needle gauge in a blue, pocket-sized nylon pouch.
- Great for many knitted projects – small-circumference knits like hats, sleeves, and toys!
- Takes some time to adjust to small diameter
4″ SetCheck Price On Amazon
5″ SetCheck Price On Amazon
These bamboo needles have well-defined tips but aren’t pointy enough to irritate your finger if you’re one who pushes the tip with your index finger. Great for beginners looking to invest in a needles set.
There’s enough of a tip to allow easy stitch manipulation, whether you’re working cables or the elusive P3tog.
SPIN nylon cables allow the tips to swivel freely. SPIN & TWIST tips, cables and accessories are all switchable! If you have the Red cables, you can use them on these needle tips.
- Needle Sizes in 4″and 5″ Tips Sets – Contains 13 needle tips in US 2 (2.75mm), US 3 (3.25mm), US 4 (3.55mm), US 5 (3.75mm), US 6 (4mm), US 7 (4.5mm), US 8 (5mm), US 9 (5.5mm), US 10 (6mm), US 10-1/2 (6.5mm), US 11 (8mm), US 13 (9mm), and US 15 (10mm).
- Chiaogoo swiv360 Cord Lengths in the 4″ complete set – three clear, nylon cable lengths: 8″ (20 cm), 14″ (35 cm), and 22″ (55 cm) cables to make 16″ (40 cm), 22″ (56 cm), and 30″ (76 cm) circulars.
- Cord Lengths in the 5″ complete set – three clear, nylon cable lengths to make 24″ (60 cm), 32″ (80 cm) and 40 inch (100 cm) circulars.
- Notions – 2 S/L end caps, 1 S/L cord connector for making longer cords, 2 cord keys, 1 ruler/needle sizer, stitch markers.
- The clear cords are ideal for things like lace or other lightweight knitting projects where you don’t want a heavy cord kinking.
- They are easy to use, easy to hold and easy to clean, just wipe down with a damp cloth.
- If your project is heavier and bulkier, the flexibility of the clear cord is a drawback. Users have reported it doesn’t hold up when you slide your stitches from the cable onto your needle.
Chiaogoo Single Point Needles
Patina Straight Needles
These 9″ (23 cm), patina, single points have precisely tapered, hand-crafted tips and are made of Moso bamboo. The size is permanently laser imprinted on each needle and cap. The patina color comes with thermal heat.
They also come in 13″ (33cm) length. Sizes – US 1 (2.25mm), 2 (2.75mm) 3 (3.25mm), 4 (3.5mm), 5 (3.75mm), 6 (4mm), 7 (4.5mm), 8 (5mm), 9 (5.5mm), 10 (6mm), 10.5 (6.5mm), 11 (8mm), 13 (9mm), 15 (10mm).
- Lovely tapered point
- Smooth snag free surface
- Needle size is laser etched on, and won’t wear off.
- Chinese Moso Bamboo, one of the strongest species in the world
- If you prefer a very slippery surface, these aren’t for you.
Wood Straight NeedlesCheck Price On Amazon
ChiaoGoo wooden needles are made from Chinese Rubberwood, an eco-friendly, dense grain hardwood commonly used in high-end furniture.
- Sizes – US 1 (2.25mm), 2 (2.75mm) 3 (3.25mm), 4 (3.5mm), 5 (3.75mm), 6 (4mm), 7 (4.5mm), 8 (5mm), 9 (5.5mm), 10 (6mm), 10.5 (6.5mm), 11 (8mm), 13 (9mm), 15 (10mm)
- Satin smooth surface
- Stitches are easy to get into with the tapered point
- Some people may not like the sound of the needles when working.
Pin Now to Save for Later
Chiaogoo Double Point Needles
DPN Sock SetNo products found. No products found.
This bamboo sock-sized set includes 5 sets of 6” (15 cm) patina double points in sizes 1 (2.25 mm), 1.5 (2.5 mm), 2 (2.75 mm), 2.5 (3mm) & 3 (3.25 mm).
Also, 12 stitch markers, a 3” (8 cm) needle gauge, and a compact, zipper-enclosed fabric case with an outside zippered pocket.
- Fabulous range of sizes to make socks with different weights of yarn
- If you’re used to metal dpns for socks, these will feel very different and take some getting use to.
The 6″ (15 cm) patina, bamboo double points are made of Moso bamboo and have precisely tapered, hand-crafted tips.
The size is permanently laser imprinted on each chiaogoo needle. Sizes 1 (2.25 mm) through 2 (2.75 mm) come with six per set. The patina color comes with thermal heat.
- Stitches glide easily
- Satin-sheen finish
- A tapered point
- Knitters use to smaller DPNs may find these too long
The Chiaogoo Double Pointed Needles Natural is made from Bamboo. The natural color of the bamboo is kept. A great range, perfect for knitting in the round. Socks, hats, mittens, gloves, wrist warmers, and cowls.
- Sizes – US 0 (2mm) – US 13 (9mm)
- 6″ (15cm) Long
- Highly polished surface
- People may find them too long
Chiaogoo Circular Needles
SS Red Knit CircularsClick to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
These stainless steel knitting tip circulars have a red nylon cord with smooth join between the tip and cord.
I have a Chiaogoo circular knitting needle US1 (2.25mm) with a 47″ (120 cm) nylon cable I’ve knitted socks and shawl patterns with.
I found creating stitches very easy with the sharp point. The surface of the stainless steel helped the stitches move easily. I love my Chiaogoo needles.
The join between the needle and the cable is very smooth.
The only thing initially a little uncomfortable was the point digging in my index finger as I pushed the needles. My finger got used to it and it wasn’t a problem.
I enjoy knitting with these circulars. A huge range of sizes and the circular lengths are 16″ (40 cm), 24″ (60 cm), 32″ (80 cm), 40″ (100 cm), 47″ (120 cm) and 60″ (150 cm).
- Smooth join between nylon cables and needle
- Slick surface of the needles
- Long tapered sharp points
- Feel comfortable in your hand
- If you push needles with your index finger you might find the points uncomfortable. Use a sewing thimble to protect your finger.
FAQS About Chiaogoo Needles
Where Are ChiaoGoo Needles Made?
Chiaogoo Needles are made in Hangzhou, China. Their knitting needle designs are created in Troy, Michigan. ChiaoGoo was started by four brothers raised in China’s “Bamboo Capital” of Linan. A combination of their mother’s knitting needs and father’s bamboo craftsmanship led to the foundation of the ChiaoGoo brand.
ChiaoGoo means “highly skillful and crafty lady” to honor their mother’s talents.
Hopefully, this helpful guide to their complete range allowed you to find the best Chiaogoo needles to suit your preferences.