Woodworkers and artisans are talented people. Handmade Knitting Needles would make a lovely addition to your fiber tools collection. Here’s a selection of some of the best.
They’re made of wood or bamboo and sometimes glass, with lovely details.
Table Of Contents
- Interchangeable Knitting Needle Set In Rosewood
- Set Of Rosewood Straights
- Handmade Glass Knitting Needles
- Handcrafted Wood Knitting Needles
- Personalized Engraved Bamboo Knitting Needles
The Best Handcrafted Knitting Needles
Interchangeable Needles Set RosewoodCheck Price On Amazon
A set of interchangeable rosewood Handcrafted needles. Tips that end in a brass cap that secures securely into the detachable cords.
The cords swivel, and your tips won’t unscrew as you knit because your cable won’t be twisting and turning.
These circular needles are excellent for colorwork pattern as you can change sizes easily when you want a smaller size needle for the ribbing and a larger diameter needle for the body.
The price is more expensive than the other hand-crafted needles mentioned. An investment to be sure but well worth it if you love wooden hand crafted tools.
- Sizes Included – US4 (3.5mm), US5 (3.75mm), US6 (4mm), US7 (4.5mm), US8 (5mm), US9 (5.5mm), US10 (6mm), US10.5 (6.5mm), US11 (8mm), US13 (9mm)
- Cords/Accessories – 24″ (60cm), 32″ (80cm), 40″ (100cm), 40″ (120cm), a tightener, end caps and a travel case.
- Needle Tips Are 5″ Long
- 5 Years warranty against any manufacturing defects
- Smooth surface
- Some purchasers found manufacturing defects, but the good news was the seller replaced them at no extra charge.
Handmade Glass Knitting Needles
There are several options of handmade glass needles available, made of pyrex. Either transparent or often in lovely colors. For reviews of the best, see my post on Glass Knitting Needles here.
Handcrafted Wood Knitting Needles
Rosewood Straight Needles
These wooden knitting needles are made of the most beautiful Indian rosewood. They’re lovely and would make an excellent addition to your knitting needle collection. They come in a set of 10 pairs of different sizes.
The polished wood surface has a little bit of grab so your stitches won’t fall of the end. You’ll love the feel of these in your hands when knitting your garment project.
These would suit beginners as they are lightweight and wool yarn glides easily over the surface without being too slippery.
- Needle Sizes Available – 4mm – 19mm
- Total Needle Length – 12 inches
Handmade Bamboo Knitting Needles
Personalized Engraved Bamboo Knitting Needles
Personalized Engraved Bamboo Knitting Needles, you choose wording and font. Single point, very smoothly sanded bamboo (which is an eco-friendly sustainable wood.)
- Length (including ball head): 13.75″ long (about 34cm)
- US size: 10 (6mm)
Metric Size and US Size are permanently marked by laser on every pair of needles.
- Needles tips have a smooth surface
- They are warm and lightweight in your hand
- Works with many different yarns
How Do You Make Knitting Needles At Home?
To make knitting needles at home, you can buy wooden dowels and sharpen one end with a sharpener and make a stopper for the other end with a bead or polymer clay.
This would be a fun family activity, and there are tutorials online to help you.
Can I Make My Own Circular Knitting Needles?
You certainly can make your own circular knitting needles. A warning, though, they are a labor of love. They require a workspace to make them (your garage).
The materials include wooden dowels, weed eater round trimmer line, a Power Drill, selection of drill bits, sandpaper, Xacto knives, plumber’s tape, and household cement.
There are some tutorials available online that will guide you through the steps.
I hope you’ve found something you like. Any of the above would make a lovely gift for a hand knitter.
If you have a favorite handmade knitting needle, please let me know in the comments below. Or get in touch with me here.
Pin For Later