Jumbo weight yarn is a chunky, bulky yarn perfect for cozy sweaters, hats, scarves, and blankets. Read on to find out more about this chunky yarn in this post!
This post is part of my series of articles explaining everything about the topic of yarn weights and a yarn size chart.
Table Of Contents
What Is Jumbo Weight Yarn?
Jumbo yarn is the thickest of the yarn weights. It’s perfect for quick projects like arm knitting or finger knitting, and it works up fast on big needles.
- AKA – Roving Yarn
- Weight Category – Jumbo
- Wraps Per Inch (WPI) – 1 – 4(2)
- Knitting Gauge Range Equaling – 6 stitches or fewer over 4 inches
- It’s thicker than lace, super fine, fine, DK, worsted weight yarns, bulky weight yarns, and super bulky yarns
Jumbo Weight Key Facts
What Weight Number Is Jumbo?
It’s weight number 7.(1)
Yarns In This Category
- Roving Yarn – This is an unspun fiber that’s slightly processed to make it easier to work with. It’s perfect for arm knitting or felting projects. Note this giant wool yarn isn’t great for hand knitting
What’s It Made From?
Jumbo yarn is most commonly wool, merino wool, polyester, or acrylic yarn.
Why Use It?
Jumbo yarn is perfect for quick projects. It’s also great because it’s easy to see your stitches. Talk about instant gratification with the thickest yarn! However, jumbo yarns are awkward to use at first, and big stitch projects take time to master!
If you’re feeling adventurous, use it to try arm knitting, or finger knitting.
What If It’s Held Double?
If you hold jumbo yarn double, it’ll be super thick!
Pin For Later
Uses For This Yarn
Here’s inspiration for you. This thick yarn with its big stitches is perfect for cozy winter sweaters, hats, throws, scarves, cowls, pillows, blankets, afghans, flowers for a decorative garland, giant Amigurumi creations(4), baskets or other storage cases, a bag, crafts for kids, or garments.
It’s also great for rugs and other home décor projects. There’s been a trend in the fashion world of using this yarn for high-end cardigans and knitwear.(3)
Jumbo Yarn Patterns To Try
Want a free pattern to use this yarn with? You’re in luck. Look at the collection of lovely options below. The free patterns are divided by skill level to make it easier for you. Some come with a video tutorial, which is great for beginners.
Hope you find a wonderful project to do next!
- Super Quick Hat
- Happy Hat
- One-Piece Slippers
- Easy Quick Pumpkin
- Snowboarder Chunky Hat
- Urth To Major Tom Hat
- Chunky Hat with Fur Pom
- Cherry Cordial Tree Skirt
- Teddy Bucket Hat
- Off the Chain Cowl
- Happy Half Angler’s Rib Scarf
- laax Beanie
- Outlander Claire Cowl
- Cozy Chunky Blanket
Note: If you don’t have enough jumbo yarns on hand, use two strands of a super bulky yarn instead!
What Knitting Needles To Use
- US Needle Size – 17 or larger
- For those of you in Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand – 12.75mm or larger
Note: The above are guidelines only. Always swatch before starting a project.
If you’ve run out of this weight of yarn or can’t find it, use two strands of super bulky yarn held together instead.
My previous article is super bulky weight yarn, and that concludes my series on the different yarn weights.
FAQs About Jumbo Weight Yarn
How Do You Spot Jumbo Yarn At Craft Stores?
The easiest way is to look for the number 7 on the yarn label. The yardage (yards or yds) measurements also generally aren’t large, but the ounces (grams) are! The thickness (width of the yarn strand) is noticeable.
Here are the popular ones many knitters recommend: Premier Yarns, Bernat Blanket Yarn, Red Heart Grande Yarn, and Chenille Yarn. Online stores like Lion Brand Yarn sometimes have products on clearance for a cheap price in the summer months.
A great chance to pick up other items on sale, like tools and crochet supplies too! Get a gift for yourself or others. See their site and their customer service team for information.
How Popular Is Jumbo Yarn?
Jumbo yarn isn’t as popular as thinner yarns like worsted or DK.
How Much Jumbo Weight Yarn For A Blanket?
A jumbo blanket uses about 3-9 skeins of yarn.
How Much Jumbo Yarn For A Sweater?
A jumbo sweater uses about 4-8 skeins of yarn.
How Much Jumbo Yarn For A Scarf?
A jumbo scarf uses about 1-2 skeins of yarn.
What Size Is Jumbo Yarn?
It’s size 7, one less than super bulky yarn.
Do People Make Socks With Jumbo Yarn?
Yes, some make socks with jumbo yarn, but they’d best be left for bed socks. They won’t fit in most shoes!
What Is Jumbo Yarn Used For?
Jumbo yarn is used for quick projects like hats, scarves, cowls, and blankets. It’s also a great choice to create cushions and other home décor pieces.
Why Is Jumbo Yarn So Hard To Find?
Jumbo yarn isn’t as popular as thinner yarns, so it’s hard to find.
How Do You Knit With Jumbo Yarn?
The simplest way to knit with jumbo yarn is to use your arms instead of needles. This is called arm knitting. If you want to use needles, you’ll need to use large ones. Work on simple projects like hats, scarves, and cowls until you get the hang of it.
Here’s a video on how to join jumbo yarns from Tamara Kelly.
This excellent breakdown of this fiddly subject is sure to help you!
Want to make quick, easy knitting or crochet projects? This is the thickest of the yarn weights and perfect for it! Have fun knitting your big stitch projects! Have a question? Tell me below or on social media. (Your email address is never published.)
- Standard Yarn Weight System | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council. “Standard Yarn Weight System | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council.” Accessed October 2, 2022. https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system.
- How to Measure Wraps Per Inch (WPI) | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council. “How to Measure Wraps Per Inch (WPI) | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council.” Accessed October 2, 2022. https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-measure-wraps-inch-wpi.
- The knit crowd | Financial Times. “The Knit Crowd | Financial Times,” May 7, 2021. https://www-ft-com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/content/2cd7dc7b-8cb0-4773-80e1-7ce3ba0e3688.
- Amigurumi artist’s human-sized Totoro plushie delights Studio Ghibli fans — learn how to make your own. “Amigurumi Artist’s Human-Sized Totoro Plushie Delights Studio Ghibli Fans — Learn How to Make Your Own.” Accessed October 2, 2022. https://news.yahoo.com/amigurumi-artist-human-sized-totoro-203604403.html.