Nickel-plated aluminum or brass needles are the smoothest, slickest and fastest knitting needles you’ll ever come across. A perfect choice for speed knitters. Read my reviews of the best.
However, these aren’t for beginners as your stitches have a nasty habit of sliding off if you aren’t careful! They’re also cold in the hands and not ideal if you have nickel sensitivities.
A brand that’s moved away from Nickel plated needles is Addi who know use white bronze. You may find older versions online that still contain nickel.
Table Of Contents
- Knit Picks Nickel Plated Knitting Needles
- Knit Picks Fixed Circular Needles
- 6″ Nickel Plated Double Pointed Knitting Needle Set
- 8″ Nickel Double Pointed Knitting Needle Set
- Nova Cubics Platina Interchangeable Needles
- addi Turbo Rockets
Knit Picks Nickel Plated Knitting Needles
Nickel Options Interchangeable Knitting Needles Circular Set
The only metal available from Knit Picks’s range of needles, these are nickel coated, super smooth, inflexible, and durable.
These tools are perfect for lace patterns, working intricate stitches and cables. They work will all sorts of yarns. You’ll need to be careful when knitting with slippery yarns.
- Sizes – US : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11 (3.50mm, 3.75mm, 4mm, 4.5mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm, 6.5mm, 8mm)
- Cord Lengths – 2 – 24″ , 1 – 32″, and 1 – 40″ length
- Needle Tips are 4 3/4″ Long
- Notions – 8 end caps, 1 cable connector, and 2 cable keys
- Hollow brass cores mean they’re super lightweight.
- Comfortable to use
- Shipping is free for knitpicks orders over $65 in the US and $75 for Canada
- Smaller sizes aren’t available in interchangeable needles; however, there are smaller sizes available in their fixed circulars ranged, reviewed further down in the post.
- Not suitable for those sensitive to brass
- Price is a little more expensive than their wood options
Nickel Options Interchangeable Knitting Needles Short Circular Set
The Nickel Options Interchangeable Short Circular Set has shorter needle tips that connect snag-free to a black cable. They create a 16″ circular needle perfect for hats, sleeves, and other, more compact projects.
Favorites of knitters who love socks. and small circumference knitting. They work beautifully on sleeves knitted in the round.
Something to Note: While all of the Knit Picks Options Interchangeable Needles will fit on the shorter cables, they firmly recommend not using the longer tips on these cables.
The circumference won’t measure 16,” and your needles can bend or break.
- Sizes – Tip sizes are US 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (3.5mm, 3.75mm, 4mm, 4.5mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm), and each tip is long.
- Cord Lengths – 2 cords to create 16″ cables
- Needle Tips Are 2.75″ Long
- Notions – 2 small cable keys, endcaps, a handy vinyl case.
- Smooth join between tip and cord
- Can’t use these cables on longer knit picks needle tips.
- The smallest needle sizes and shortest circular needle lengths don’t accommodate the interchangeable screw feature of the Knit Picks Options needles.
Knit Picks Nickel Plated Fixed Circular Needles
Their classic circular needles have a super-flexible cable with a secure and smooth cable to needle join. The nickel-plated needle surface is slick, and have the tapered tips as the Options needles.
They rounded out their product line with fixed circular needles in the sizes and lengths not available as interchangeable needles.
- 16″ needles in US sizes 0 – 11.
- Tips are 3-3/8″ long.
- 24″, 32″, 40″, 47″ needles in US sizes 0 – 3.
- Tips are 5-1/8″ long.
The metric system is more precise than the US system. Knit Picks offer two US 1 (2.25mm and 2.5mm) and two US 2 (2.75mm and 3mm.)
- Smaller sizes in the 16″ length
- Some people found the join wasn’t smooth.
6″ Nickel Plated Double Pointed Knitting Needle Set
This collection of 6″ nickel-plated double pointed needles are great for knitting socks or a project knitted in the round.
The needles have a portable case with snap-shut closure. Each section is labeled on the packaging so you can select the size you need. The advantage of metal materials like nickel is the speed at which you can knit.
- Set of 5 per needle size.
- Sets Includes: US 0 (2mm), US 1 (2.25mm), US 1 (2.5mm), US 2 (2.75mm), US 2 (3mm) and US 3 (3.25mm).
- Smooth surface
- Comfortable in the hand
- The needles don’t have the sizes etched on them.
8″ Nickel Double Pointed Knitting Needle Set
A slick, glass-like surface that allows stitches to move freely. Even sticky fibers will glide along these classic 8″ double pointed-style needles! All of these sizes are also available separately.
- Set of 5 per needle size.
- Set Includes: US 4 (3.5mm), US 5 (3.75mm), US 6 (4mm), US 7 (4.5mm), US 8 (5mm), US 9 (5.5mm)
- Slick surface
- Sizes not etched on the needles
Nickel Plated Interchangeable Needles
Nova Cubics Platina Interchangeable Needles
Square needles are perfect for knitters with arthritis, carpal tunnel, or stiffness in their wrists and fingers.
A square needle decreases contact stress by giving your fingers a flat surface to rest on while knitting. Even if you’re not currently experiencing hand or wrist pain, they are worth a try.
You may find older versions of these needles contain nickel. They’re now Chrome plated.
The cables’ sizing refers to the total length achieved when the needle tips are attached to the cables. Needle size is measured diagonally and fits into a standard needle sizer just like round needles.
Fun Fact: Cubics Platina is compatible with Knit Picks Interchangeable Needles, so mix and match your cables and tips for infinite versatility!
- 7 Pairs of Interchangeable Needle Tips: US 6 (4mm), 10 (6mm), 7 (4.5mm), 10.5 (6.5mm), 8 (5mm), 11 (8mm), US 9 (5.5mm)
- Cord Lengths – 4 Color Coded Cords – 1x 24″ (61cm) Green Cord, 1x 40″ (100cm) Red Cord, 2x 32″ (81cm) Orange Cord
- Black & Grey Storage Bag (8″x6.5″x.5″), 4 Cord Keys (for tightening cords in place), 8 End Caps (use to store WIP, or create Single Point Needles), 1 Set of Cord Connectors (to connect multiple cords for more length)
- The square shape helps people experiencing hand and wrist pain.
Nickel Plated Circular Knitting Needles
Nova Cubics Platina Square Circular Needles
Engineered from hollow brass pipes and Chrome plated (in the past, they were Nickel plated). The shiny, smooth surface help syour yarn slide along the needle.
You may find older versions of these needles with nickel.
The cuboid shape gradually gives way to perfectly tapered needle tips, which are now longer and pointier, making it easier to pick up your stitches.
- Square shape helps to keep even tension
- People who have hand pain find them more comfortable
- It can take time to adjust to the different shape of the shaft
addi Turbo RocketsCheck Price On Amazon
Some older versions of these needles contain Nickel. addi Turbo Sock Rockets combine the sharper tip of addi Turbo Lace with the slick nickel-plated coating of the classic addi Turbo needle.
Sharp tips make these needles ideal for intricate stitches. These extra-pointy tips coated with the same shiny Nickel that gives the classic addi Turbo its incomparable zip.
Addi no longer uses Nickel in their manufacturing, they now use white bronze.
- Sizes Available – US 000 – 13
- Cord Lengths Available -16″, 24″, 32″ and 40″
- Sharp pointy tips
- The knitter may find the cord a little thick in the larger sizes.
addi TurbosCheck Price On Amazon
These circular needles feature a hollow brass core that offers strength and very lightweight, the turbo plating. Older versions of these needles had a nickel coating. Now addi Turbos are coated with white bronze, rather than Nickel.
The process of producing bronze-coated needles uses less electricity and water and is more environmentally-friendly. The new finish is also great news for knitters allergic to Nickel!
Please note sizes US 0 and smaller have a gold cord while all other sizes have a blue cord. All circular knitting needles are measured from tip to tip.
For example, a 32″ circular needle is 32″ from one needle tip to the other.
- Slick surface
- Tapered points
- Lifetime warranty from licensed Addi dealers
- The tip isn’t as pointy as the Addi Rocket Lace version.
Nickel Plated Knitting Needles Allergy
Some knitters have a Nickel Allergy or sensitivity. Their skin usually reacts to this material in the form of a skin rash. It’s very uncomfortable, and they can’t use needles with Nickel in them.
Are Addi Premium Knitting Needles Nickel Plated?
Addi no longer uses nickel plating for their needles. The process they use is now done with white bronze. The coating is an anti-allergenic, highly functional alternative.
It seems nickel plated needles aren’t as popular as other metal needles. If you aren’t sensitive to nickel, they may be an option for you, as they are pointy, fast and smooth.
Do you have a favorite? Let me know in the comments below or get in touch with me here.
Pin For Later