Sport weight yarn is the perfect choice for all level knitters. It’s not too thin or too thick. Although not an official yarn weight, I get lots of questions about it.
Learn everything you need to know about sport yarn below.
This post is part of my series of articles explaining everything about the topic of yarn weights and yarn thicknesses.
Table Of Contents
What Is Sport Weight Yarn?
It’s a fine weight yarn that’s right for projects like sweaters, wraps, and baby items.
The term sport weight comes from Europe. They’re fuzzier and more lofty than thinner yarns.
Great for patterns with intricate details.
- AKA – Light worsted weight yarn, light worsted yarns, Baby yarn, baby weight
- Weight Category – Fine (not super fine)
- Wraps Per Inch (WPI) – 12 – 18(6)
- Knitting Gauge Range – 23 – 26 stitches over 4 inches
- It’s thicker than fingering weight yarn (aka sock yarn)
- It’s thinner than DK weight yarn (aka DK yarns or double knitting yarn), Aran yarn, and bulky yarn
Sport Weight Key Facts
What Weight Number Is Sport?
It’s weight number 2.(1)
What’s It Made From?
Sport weight yarn is made from any fiber, but these are the most common for a skein of yarn.
- Wool (like superwash merino wool or fine merino)
- Pima Cotton
Often these are included in a blend of other fibers and materials. Sometimes you find a skein with bamboo.
More luxury ones include mulberry silk or kid mohair.
This lightweight yarn is available in all colors of the rainbow!
Why Use It?
It’s often used to knit garments like sweaters and socks. This makes it perfect for knitters looking for a happy medium.
It’s a versatile yarn because it’s used for many projects, and it has excellent stitch definition.
Bonne from the Great North West Fibre Fest who I recently interviewed shared this great tip:
“One nice thing about having sport weight in your stash is you can also double it with a fingering weight for a worsted with texture and color variations.“
What If It’s Held Double?
Looking for something thicker?
Try holding two strands together. This gives you more warmth and durability without adding bulk.
Pin For Later
Uses For This Yarn
It’s a great choice to create knits like
- Durable socks
- Lacy scarf
- A Wrap
- Light baby blankets
- Color work projects
- Projects with textured stitches
Sport Weight Yarn Patterns To Try
Here are great free patterns for knitters using sport yarn. They’re divided by skill level to make it easier for you.
Hope you find a wonderful project (or a collection) to do next!
- Climbing Rose Wrap
- Simple Skyp Socks
- Mash It Up Beanie
- 234-36 Even Fall Hat
- Colorful Wedges Baby Blanket
- Tip Top Tank
- 48 Stitch Socks
- Little Scallops Beanie
- Sommarkoftan 2022 Sweater
- Always be Brave Wrap
- Kastellet Top
- 223-27 Heart on Fire
- Tiny Window Cat
- Simple Pleasures Hat
- Izzy Teddy Bear Dolls
- Missoni Accomplished Pullover
- Wurm Beanie
- Rhino Baby
Looking for another pattern? See this video by Chandi from Expression Fiber Arts.
I love how the tank top looks! It has a lovely stockinette pattern with the cabling details.
What Knitting Needles To Use
- US Needle Size – 3 – 5
- For those of you in Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand – 3.25 – 3.75mm
Note: The above are guidelines only. Always swatch before starting a project.
If you’ve run out of this yarn or can’t find it, here’s what to use instead.
- DK weight yarn
- Fingering weight yarn held double
Here are answers to common questions about this fine weight yarn.
How Do You Spot Sport Weight Yarn At Craft Stores?
It might be labeled as sport weight or light worsted. Often the yardage (yds) are smaller, so look for small skeins.
If not, the easiest way is to look at the symbol on the ball label (ball band.) It is identified by the Number 2.
It usually has these size options.
- 100 g (3.53 oz.)
- 50 g (1.76 oz.)
- 25 g (0.88 oz.)
Popular stores that stock this yarn are Knit Picks and Lion Brand. Sometimes they offer free shipping.
Both companies have shipping options to the United Kingdom and your country wherever you are in the world.
Malabrigo is an excellent brand for knitting and crochet sport yarn. Small businesses often have hand-dyed fibers.
Another recommended yarn is
- Wonderland Yarns Mad Hatter
- Ella Rae’s Cashmereno Sport
Or try companies like
- Shibui Knits
- Lana Grossa
- Valley Yarns
- Debbie Bliss has great wool yarn
How Popular Is Sport Weight?
Sport weight yarns are one of the most popular yarn weights.
It’s easy to work with and can be used for a variety of projects. Plus, most of them are machine wash and tumble dry.
How Much Sport Yarn For A Blanket?
A sport weight blanket takes about 1,500 yards (1,372 meters).
How Much Sport Weight Yarn For A Sweater?
A sport weight sweater takes about 1,000 yards (914 meters).
How Much Sport Weight For A Scarf?
A sport weight scarf will take about 200 yards (183 meters).
What Stitches Can You Make With Sport-Weight Yarn?
Most stitch patterns work with sport weight yarn.
Sport Weight Yarn Vs DK
Sport weight yarn is lighter than DK weight yarn.
- Sport is used for projects like sweaters and socks
- DK weight yarns are better suited for hats and scarves
Is Size 2 Yarn Sport Weight?
Yes, size 2 yarn is sport weight.
Here’s a video by Lion Brand to explain the differences.
This excellent breakdown of this subject is sure to help you!
These soft yarns are a perfect addition to your yarn stash.
They work up fast and are great for a wide variety of projects. Get inspired to knit something new today!
Have questions or suggestions? Leave a comment below. (Your email address is never published.)
Or connect with me on social media!
- “Standard Yarn Weight System | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council.” 2018. Craftyarncouncil.com. 2018. https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system.
- “EWES Homepage.” n.d. Pages.uoregon.edu. Accessed September 12, 2022. https://pages.uoregon.edu/cwinter/EWES/ewes_pat.htm.
- How to Measure Wraps Per Inch (WPI) | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council. “How to Measure Wraps Per Inch (WPI) | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council.” Accessed October 1, 2022. https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-measure-wraps-inch-wpi.