Circular Knitting Machines are fabulous for when you want to knit faster than you can by hand. If you’re knitting for charity, or knitting for profit, having an Addi Knitting Machine is a great way to churn out more knitted items.
The Addi knitting machine creates knitted fabrics whether in the round or knitted in flat panels. You can create all sort of garments and accessories.
Read on for my full reviews of the Addi Express King Size Knitting Machine, and the smaller Addi Express Professional Knitting Machine.
Table Of Contents
- Addi Express King Size Knitting Machine
- Addi Express Professional Knitting Machine
- What Can You Make With An Addi Kitting Machine?
- Making A Hat On The Addi Express Knitting Machine
- Knitting A Flat Panel On The Addi Express Kingsize
- Free Tutorials For Using Your Addi Express Knitting Machine
- Your Questions Answered
Addi Express King Size Knitting Machine
The #1 Best Selling larger sized circular Knitting Machine. The addiExpress King size Extended Edition is worth the money. Loved by knitters who complete hats, baby blankets and scarves effortlessly.
If you want to speed up your gorgeous, finished knits, you should consider the addiExpress King size Extended Edition.
The kit includes a King Size Knitting Machine including 5 replacement needles, 1 threading tool, 2 stoppers, 4 feet, 2 clampers, the “Winding instead of Knitting” book and an addi Express Hook.
This one has 46 needles. That’s more than twice the number of the original, allowing for larger pieces.
Perfect for knitting scarves and woolly hats, or an infinity scarf. Knit fabric panels for jumpers, sweaters and blankets. You crank the machine by turning the handle. You finish in a shorter amount of time than if you hand-knit.
It’s important to note these knitting machines work best with medium – weight yarn. For example Worsted weight yarn (no.4) or Aran weight, DK weight (no.3).
They have a fixed gauge which means they can’t be adjusted to accommodate the lighter weight yarns or heavier weight yarns. The fabric you achieve using a sock yarn for example turns out to have a very open weave.
In hand knitting terms it is like having only one set of needles and the fabric created with those needles changes depending on what yarn weight you use.
Thinner yarn, a more open fabric, thicker yarn, a tighter fabric.
- Made in Germany, sturdy construction materials.
- Simple setup, easy to use, suitable for beginners
- Portable and space friendly
- Very portable and space friendly.
- Made in Germany, Addi Express machines offer excellent construction quality.
- Addi Express machines are straightforward to set up and begin knitting.
- Speedy in completing knitted projects.
- The Addi offers both rows back and forth and circular knitting functions, a bonus for projects requiring the assembly of pieces.
- Cost effective.
- Can make flat panels.
- Lifetime warranty from Addi authorised dealers.
- Lacks tension control mechanism: the only thing controlling your stitch size on the Addi is your yarn. The yarn guide is just there to keep your yarn in place.
- No way to mechanically adjust tension to make the stitch smaller or bigger.
- Need to experiment to determine whether your yarn will or won’t work with the machine.
- The Addi can’t offer anything other than a 46 stitch knitted circle.
- Digital row counter can be unreliable.
Addi Express Professional Knitting Machine
The addi-Express Professional has 22 needles.
You can machine knit circular knitted items in knit stitch and panels on this machine.
The size of the knitted tube is something fitting around your arm or leg. Flat panels can be stitched together to make items wider.
Suitable ideas would be premmie hats, doll bonnets, narrow scarves, mittens, fingerless gloves, baby sweaters and toys.
- 22 needles
- Circular and flat panel knitted items that are then seamed can be created
- Many yarns can be used but as I mentioned above medium weight yarns such as Worsted or DK are best.
- Made in Germany with sturdy materials
- Every product purchased from an Authorised addi Dealer comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
- Easy to create smaller sized projects in a short amount of time.
- Perfect for making small hats for Premmie babies or dolls, sock, scarves and finger-less gloves.
- Difficult to get neat edges when creating rows of knit stitches for flat panels.
- Bulky yarns, stiff yarn or cotton are a challenge.
- Be mindful of the yarn weight you’re working with.
What Can You Make With An Addi Kitting Machine?
With an Addi Express Pro (the smaller model), you can make:
With an Addi Express King Size Knitting Machine you can make:
- Long, groovy scarves
- Child and adult hats
Making A Hat On The Addi Express Knitting Machine
SkacelKnitting on Youtube has created a fantastic tutorial on how to make a knitted hat in less than thirty minutes. Impossible? Not if you’re the proud owner of an Addi Express Knitting Machine!
Knitting A Flat Panel On The addi Express Kingsize
When you’ve bought your brand new knitting machine, you want use it right away. Every minute you spent on studying complex material and diagrams could be spent knitting!
Here’s a tutorial on Knitting a Flat Panel piece, created by SkacelKnitting on YouTube.
Free Tutorials For Using Your Addi Express Knitting Machine
Yarn Yay has some very helpful tutorials for making a sweater.
Magaret Olander from Sheepishly Sharing is a wiz at making wearable garments, particularly hats on her Addi Knitting machines. Take a look at her cute Knot Top Hat tutorial using the Addi Express Professional Machine.
Your Questions Answered
Can You Make Different Hat Sizes With One Machine?
Yes you certainly can. Depending on the amount of rows you knit in the round will determine the length of the hat. The Addi Express Professional makes premmie hats up to children’s and small adult hats.
The Addi Express King Size makes adult hats.
Can You Make Blankets?
Absolutely! By making flat panels with your machine each strip can be sewn together to make a blanket.
Can You Make Scarves With The Addi Knitting Machine?
Yes! These machines are perfect for making wonderful scarves. Using the circular mode to make a tube means the scarf is double the thickness, so warm and comfy.
Is It Possible To Increase And Decrease On These Machines?
Yes but only when you are working a flat panel on your machine.
How Do You Make Different Sizes Of Hats?
To make different size hats, you need to do more rows for larger sizes. For example, a premmie hat you’d need to knit 20-25 rows on the Professional machine. For an adult hat using the King size edition, you’d need to knit 55-60 rows.
What Do I Do To Stop My Addi Knitting Machine Dropping Stitches?
This happens sometimes when you’re adjusting the stitches. It can also happen when the yarn isn’t compatible with the knitting machine and the machine drops stitches by itself. Make sure you’re using medium weight yarn.
The Tube From A 22 Needle Machine Seems Narrow. What Is It Good For?
Depending on the yarn used, the width of the flattened tube is around 3″. This is perfect for children’s scarves and smaller adults. You can also make mittens and tube socks assuming the wearer is of average size.
Preemie hats for hospital donations is another popular use. You can make a flat panel option to get a wider strip (not a tube). You can also sew flat panels together to make many different items.
Regardless of your reason for wanting a knitting machine, one of Addi’s models is sure to suit your preferences. Built to last, quick and efficient to set up and use, they’re a very useful tool.