There are two types of knitting machines. Cheaper circular knitting machines for home use and kids and more robust and expensive flat bed versions.
If you want more information about the serious flat bed machines, I cover that down below. The previous sections are all about circular models.
My Recommendations For Those In A Hurry For Circular Knitting Needles
Best For Most People – The addi-Express Professional Knitting Machine is of great value and reliable. Suitable for hobbyists and smaller knitting projects.
Best For Larger Circular Projects – addi Express Kingsize is fabulous for knitting hats and scarves. Sturdy, fast, and durable.
Note: Clicking the above links will take you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews on Amazon.
For those who want more, keep reading for my full reviews of all the best knitting machines currently available.
The Need For Speed!
Some knitters swear by these tools. Knitting by hand takes time. Although it’s gratifying, sometimes you want to complete it. If your life is busy, and you have limited time for hand knitting, a knitting machine will save you time.
Knitting Machines are excellent for knitted hats, cowls, sweaters, and blankets. A knitting machine can be 20 times faster than the traditional way of hand knitting. Introduce yourself to another world of creating stitches.
My Knitting Machine review has several hand-cranked knitting machine alternatives. Below is an overview of some of the most popular and best Knitting Machines available.
Table of Contents
- Machine Knitting
- Types Of Knitting Machines
- addi Express King Size Extended Edition Knitting Machine
- addi Express Professional Knitting Machine
- NSI Knitting Machine – Best for Kids
- NKOK Singer Knitting Machine- Best For Beginners
- Smart Weaver Knitting Kit Machine
- Bond Knitting Machine
- The Ultimate Sweater Machine
- Prym (624168) MIDI Knitting Mill Machine- Best Knitting Machine For Making Small Tubes
- Prim Knitting Mill Max – Best Knitting Machine For Making Large Tubes
- Silver Reed LK150 Mid-Gauge Knitting Machine
- SK840 Silver Reed 4.5mm Standard Gauge Electronic Knitting Machine
There is a real art to machine knitting. In the case of some hand knitters think it’s a cheat’s way of creating garments. Machine knitters dispute this. It’s more complicated and difficult than hand knitting and being a hand knitter.
Like any new skill and tool, it takes time and technique to master machine knitting. With practice, the production and process of knitted garments and accessories, machine knitting is much faster.
William Lee invented the first knitting machine in 1589. Circular knitting machinery development has certainly changed since then.
The difference between machine knitting and hand knitting is machine knitting is semi or fully automated with many knitting needles in a bed. Hand knitting is done by hand with two knitting needles.
When a hand knitter moves into the field of knitting machines,, there are skills to learn.
Not all hand-knit stitch types and techniques can be reproduced identically on knitting machines. The tuck stitch is possible on some knitting machines.
For example, when creating a stockinette stitch on knitting machines, the purl side is the “right” side! Also, a garter carriage part (garter bar) is required to create a garter stitch, which looks like all purl stitches, for example.
More and more hand knitters are trying out machine knitting and finding there are a great many benefits. Namely saving time, particularly with garments requiring stockinette stitch or rib fabrics.
Also adding additional skills to their knitting hobby.
Much easier doing it on a machine than hand knitting. It’s also an excellent choice if you knit for a profit and have a buying market for your hand knits.
Most hand knitters going from hand knitting to machine knitting will experience a steep learning curve. Many would argue hand knitting seems simple in comparison.
There is much to understand and master when machine knitting.
Types Of Knitting Machines
- Circular Knitting Machines – Can create knitted tubes such as cowls and hats by knitting continuously in the round.
- Flat Bed Knitting Machine – Crafters, smaller-scale knitwear producers, and boutique producers commonly operate flat bed knitting machines. Garments created on a flat-bed machine have side seams, so piecing is required. It is not possible to knit in the round. These machines work rows back and forth. They can be manual. Or punch card (a card with punched holes to determine stitch patterns, where stitches are slipped, tucked, creating texture, like that in a cable stitch, or knit in a different color). Or electronic/computer ready. This type can also be known as punch card knitting machines. Flat Beds Knitting Machines are categorized into the weights of yarn they can work with, into different gauge machines.
- Fine Gauge Machines (handles knitting lace weight yarns, thinnest thread yarns, fingering weight yarn, even baby weight yarns).
- Standard Gauge Machine (handles anything finer than DK weight.
- Mid Gauge Machines ( are preferred by hand knitters as they handle sport weight to worsted, including DK weight.
- Bulky or Chunky Gauge machines (can cope with a large range of yarn thickness)
- Single Bed Machine – has one flat bed of machine needles. It produces jersey or stocking stitch knitting.
- V-bed Knitting Machine – consists of two beds located across from each other and can produce tubes and flat knitting.
- Brother Knitting Machines are a brand that is popular for knitters wishing to create garter stitch on their machines as they offer a garter carriage. It has the option of an additional carriage, a lace carriage.
What Does A Knitting Machine Do?
A domestic knitting machine creates knitted fabrics in a semi or fully automated way. It’s most often used to knit flat pieces then sewn together to make a garment.
The key parts of a flat bed knitting machine are a needle bed with up to 200 needles and a knit carriage moving from side to side.
The needles look like tiny latch hooks and can be placed in four positions: non-working, working, upper working, and hold.
A circular knitting machine has needles placed in a circle and knits in the round. It can also be used to knit flat pieces.
If the machine is operated by hand crank, it doesn’t require battery power.
Which Is The Best Knitting Machine For Home Use?
The best knitting machine for home use is the Addi Express Kingsize Knitting Machine. It’s possible to create knitted fabric for scarves, cowls, hats, and other things. Flat pieces can also be created.
Using a knitting machine for a range of simple creations will save you time. You won’t need to learn too many new techniques to use this home knitting machine. Learning the basics is not difficult. See my review below.
Addi Knitting Machine Express Kingsize
The #1 Best Selling larger sized Circular Knitting Machine on the list. The addiExpress King size Extended Edition is worth the money.
Loved by knitters who complete hats, baby blankets, garments for keeping your neck warm, and other knitted items effortlessly with this product, which many call the best machine for knitting.
If you want to speed up your gorgeous, finished knits, consider the addiExpress King size Extended Edition.
The kit includes an Addi Express King Size Knitting Machine including 5 replacement needles, punch cards, 1 threading tool, 2 stoppers, 4 base feet, needle holder, 2 clampers, “Winding instead of Knitting” pattern book, and an instruction manual. Also, an addi Express Crochet Hook.
The Addi Express King has 46 needles, more than twice the original one, allowing larger pieces.
Perfect for knitting scarves and woolly hats, or an infinity scarf. Knitted fabric panels for jumpers, sweaters, and blankets. The machine is cranked by turning the handle.
You finish in a shorter amount of time than if you hand-knit. Mind you, the time to seam flat pieces together is the same as when you’ve knitted.
- Made in Germany, sturdy construction materials.
- Simple setup, easy to use, suitable for beginners
- Portable and space friendly
- Made in Germany, Addi Express machines offer excellent construction quality.
- Addi Express machines are straightforward to set up and begin knitting on.
- Speedy, less time in completing designs.
- The Addi offers both rows back and forth and circular knitting functions, a bonus for projects requiring the assembly of pieces.
- Can make panels.
- Lacks tension piece control mechanism: the only thing controlling your stitch size on the Addi is your knitting yarn. The yarn guide is just there to keep your yarn in place. You’ll need to use hand manipulation to adjust it.
- There is no way to mechanically adjust the tension piece on these machines to make the stitch smaller or bigger.
- Need to experiment to determine whether your knitting yarn will or won’t work with the machine.
- The Addi can’t offer anything other than a 46 stitch knitted circle.
- The digital row counter with memory function can be unreliable.
Making A Hat On The Addi Express Knitting Machine
SkacelKnitting on Youtube has created a fantastic tutorial on making a knitted hat in less than thirty minutes. Impossible? Not if you’re the proud owner of an Addi Express Knitting Machine!
Knitting a Flat Panel On The addi Express Kingsize
When you’ve bought your brand new knitting machine, you want to use it right away. Every minute you spent studying complex material and diagrams could be spent knitting!
Here’s a tutorial on Knitting a Flat Panel piece. Created by SkacelKnitting on YouTube. There are plenty of great tutorials on the internet.
addi-Express Professional Knitting Machine
The addi-Express Professional (also known as the addi pro) has 22 needles.
You can machine knit circular knitted items in knit stitch and panels on this machine. The size of the tube is something fitting around your arm or leg. Flat panels can be stitched together to make knitted items wider.
Good ideas for suitable projects would be premmie hats, doll bonnets, narrow scarves, mittens, fingerless gloves, and baby sweaters.
- 22 needles Circular and plain knitted items can be created
- Many yarns can be used
- Great for a beginner
- Made in Germany with sturdy materials
- Every product purchased from an Authorised addi Dealer comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
- Easy to create smaller sized projects in a short amount of time.
- Perfect for making small hats for Premmie babies or dolls, socks, scarves, and fingerless gloves.
- Wonderful for projects donated to charities.
- Difficult to get neat edges when creating rows of knit stitches for flat panels.
- Bulky weight yarn, stiff yarn, or cotton yarn are a challenge.
- Be mindful of the yarn weight you are working with
NSI Knitting Machine for Kids (Age 6+)
Do your children love to knit? A great beginner introduction to machine knitting for kids. Lovely idea to share some crafty time with your family.
A children’s knitting machine. Ideas suitable for this machine (with a little help) are kid-sized scarves, leg warmers, mittens, and hats. They can make gifts for their friends.
Good price point, but remember this isn’t the same grade as other more professional machines.
- Made of Plastic Set includes knitting machine, safe sewing needle and two skeins of thread.
- For 6+ years
NKOK Singer Knitting Machine
Another option for a children’s knitting machine. Knit scarves, beanies, shoulder bags, socks, forearm warmers, and more. Made from plastic but treated with care, it will last longer.
Some younger users will need help through some stages, casting on and off. Kids need to pay attention to go at a reasonable pace while still having fun.
The NKOK Singer Knitting machine is pink and white. Recommended for ages 8 and up. The pack includes a knitting machine, two skeins of yarn, one knitting hook, one yarn needle, and instructions.
- Simple set-up, easier for young ones
- A great introduction to knitting
- Some assembly required
Smart Weaver Knitting Kit Machine for Kids
On this knitting machine, knit scarves, beanies, shoulder bags, socks, forearm warmers, and custom products. Kids will love seeing the loops create something they can say they made.
The Smart Weaver Knitting Machine is made from plastic. Treated with care, it will last longer. Some will need some help casting on and off.
The Smart Weaver Knitting Kit Machine is recommended for 6 and up. A small circular knitting machine. Perfect for the little knitter in your life.
- Able to create tubes (circular knitting) or flat panels
- Suitable for Ages 6 & Up
- Will be able to make knitted creations (with a little help)
- Different stages of use will require adult help.
Prym MIDI Knitting Mill Machine
It’s portable and lightweight. The largest number of stitches you can use is 20 when knitting in the round and 16 when knitting flat panels. Try a sample first before making something big.
- Made in Germany
- Easy to use
- Suitable for small projects
- Circular knitting and flat panels
- With a mode switch for added flexibility in what you can create
- Need to work the machine slowly to ensure no dropped stitches.
- Takes experimenting to find the most suitable yarn.
Prym Knitting Mill Maxi
It’s lightweight and hand-operated. The largest number of stitches you can use is 44 when knitting in the round and 40 when knitting back and forth panels.
- Circular design
- Made in Germany
- Easy to use
- Suitable for circular and flat panel design.
- Need to work the machine slowly to ensure no dropped stitches.
- Takes experimentation to find the most suitable yarn weight
Flat Bed Knitting Machines
Silver Reed LK150 Mid-Gauge Knitting Machine
The Slver Reed Model LK150 is a good starter mid gauge (6.5mm) knitting machine. It knits a range of yarns including Sport weight through to worsted weight yarns. You’ll need to experiment with some heavier yarns.
The machine is lightweight, and made of sturdy plastic. It’s like a fancier version of the Bond Elite.
This model doesn’t work well with lower quality worsted weight yarn you’d get from a dime store. They cause stress on the carriages as they’re less pliable than quality yarns.
You can knit many projects such as sweaters, mittens, beanies and blankets.
- Excellent choice for beginners
- The manual is clear and easy to follow
- Easy to set up and pack away
- Finding replacement parts is easy
- Not suitable for bulky yarns
- Lower quality worsted weight yarns are not suitable
Here’s a video showing the set up of the LK150
SK840 Silver Reed 4.5mm Standard Gauge Electronic Knitting Machine
The SK840 knits stockinette and most hand-manipulated designs. Such as slip, tuck, fairisle, thread lace, knit-weaving and plating.
It knits lace, fingering and sport weight yarns.
Couple it with the data cables, DesignaKnit Software and your computer and you can knit Punch Lace, Weaving, Plating and more. Plus more features DesignaKnit has to offer.
This knitting machine is 4.5mm (5.6) gauge with 200 needles. It’s a great option for sweaters and large projects such as afghans.
- Varied stitch patterns can be created
- Can handle finer yarns
- Suitable for machine knitters with some experience
- Operating this machine would be a steep learning curve for a beginner
- A considerable investment.
Bond Knitting Machine
Great for making adult garments, coats, afghans, skirts, children’s garments, or your favorite clothing.
The 100 needles allow for 1000 stitches per minute. The needles are metal, and they sit in a hard plastic bed.
You get the best results with smooth, medium-weight yarn. Extra-bulky, fine, or nubby yarns can give unsatisfactory results. Fluffier yarns such as mohair can be used, but it would be best to pair this with another yarn.
You also get a set of four key plates and hand tools to make different stitches and more complicated patterns. With practice, you’ll come to an understanding of what you can create. Expect to have times of frustration.
- Supports popular handknit yarns
- knits 1000 stitches a minute
- Suitable for professionals
- A little challenging to set up
- Not ideal for beginners
- Be aware some of the listings are for used machines, be sure to select the new item
The Ultimate Sweater Machine
A knitting machine with a six key plate. Super fast for a lot of projects such as an adult sweater or afghan.
Can use yarn of different weights and colors. Many knitting stitches can be used – cable, lace, Fair Isle, and many others.
A detailed instructional video is included on all the basic stitches and fancy stitches. Compatible with hand knitting patterns as well as ultimate knitting books.
This machine has six key-plate to match every size knitting needle from 6 to 10-1/2. Make an afghan or sweater up to 100 stitches across.
Able to knit 1200 stitches a minute. Every machine has a detailed instructional video on all basic stitches and fancy stitches. Has a limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Six Key Plate Can match every size knitting needle from 6 to 10-1/2.
- Made in the USA
- It accepts yarns from sport to chunky.
- Portable and reasonably light
- Variety of basic and fancy stitches are possible
- Takes time and a few practice sessions to use and work correctly.
- Need to watch the instructional video several times.
- Requires manual adjustment to do fancier stitches.
t can be incredibly hard for beginners to select the ideal knitting machine. There are many models to sift through. Your best bet is to decide what sort of design (big or small) you want to create with a knitting machine.
Regardless of which one of the many knitting machines you choose, you’ll save time with these knitting devices than if you did hand knitting.
Best of luck using your new favorite tool. 🙂 I’d love to hear about your journey.
Related Posts: Here Are Some Other Posts That May Interest You:
- Yarn Winders… Are They Worth It? The 12 Best Yarn Ball Winders
- Yarn Swift Buyer’s Guide and Reviews | Top 12 Yarn Swifts Reviewed
- A Beautiful Yarn Bowl Is A Knitter’s Friend