My Recommendations For Those In A Hurry
Best For Most People – The addi-Express Professional Knitting Machine is great value and reliable. Suitable for knitting hobbyists and smaller knitting projects,
What The Experts Use – addi Express Kingsize is fabulous for knitting hats and scarves. Sturdy, fast, and durable.
Note: Clicking the above links will take you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews on Amazon.
For those who want more, keep reading for my full reviews of all the best knitting machines currently available.
The Need For Speed!
Some knitters swear by these tools.
Knitting by hand takes time. Although it’s gratifying, sometimes you want to complete it. If your life is busy, and you have limited time for hand knitting a knitting machine will save you time.
Knitting Machines are excellent for knitted hats, scarves, sweaters, and blankets. A knitting machine can be 20 times faster than the traditional way of hand knitting.
My Knitting Machine review has several hand-cranked knitting machine alternatives. Below is an overview of some of the most popular and best Knitting Machines available.
Table of Contents
- Machine Knitting
- Types Of Knitting Machines
- addi Express King Size Extended Edition Knitting Machine
- addi Express Professional Knitting Machine
- NSI Knitting Machine – Best for Kids
- NKOK Singer Knitting Machine- Best For Beginners
- Smart Weaver Knitting Kit Machine
- The Ultimate Sweater Machine
- Prym (624168) MIDI Knitting Mill Machine- Best Knitting Machine For Making Small Tubes
- Prim Knitting Mill Max – Best Knitting Machine For Making Large Tubes
There is a real art to machine knitting. Some hand knitters think it’s a cheat’s way of creating garments. Machine knitters dispute this. It’s more complicated and difficult than hand knitting and being a hand knitter.
Like any new skill and tool, it takes time to master machine knitting. With practice, the production of knitted garments and accessories, machine knitting is much faster.
William Lee invented the first knitting machine in 1589.
The difference between machine knitting and hand knitting is machine knitting is semi or fully automated with many knitting needles in a bed. Hand knitting is done by hand with the use of two knitting needles.
The important point is, not all hand-knit stitch types and techniques can be reproduced identically on knitting machines.
For example when creating a stockinette stitch on a machine, the purl stich side is the “right” side! Also a garter carriage part (garter bar) is required to create a garter stitch, for example.
More and more hand knitters are trying out machine knitting and finding there are a great many benefits. Namely saving time, particularly with garments requiring stockinette stitch or rib fabrics.
Much easier doing it on a machine than hand knitting.
It’s also an excellent choice if you knit for a profit, and have a buying market for your hand knits.
Most hand knitters going from hand knitting to machine knitting will experience a steep learning curve. Many would argue hand knitting seems simple in comparison.
There is much to understand and master when machine knitting.
Types Of Knitting Machines
- Circular Knitting Machines – can create knitted tubes such as scarves, cowls, and hats by knitting continuously in the round.
- Flat Bed Knitting Machine – Crafters, smaller-scale knitwear producers, and boutique producers commonly use flat bed knitting machines. Garments created on a flat-bed machine have side seams, so piecing is required. It is not possible to knit in the round. These machines work rows back and forth. They can be manual. Or punch card (a card with punched holes to determine stitch patterns, where stitches are slipped, tucked, creating texture, like that in a cable stitch, or knit in a different color). Or electronic/computer ready. This type can also be known as punch card knitting machines. Flat Beds Knitting Machines are categorized into the weights of yarn they can work with, into different gauge machines.
- Fine Gauge Machines (handles knitting lace weigh yarns, thinnest thread yarns, fingering weight yarn even baby weight yarns).
- Standard Gauge Machine (handles anything finer than DK weight.
- Mid Gauge Machines ( are preferred by hand knitters as they handle sport weight to worsted, including DK weight.
- Bulky or Chunky Gauge machines (can cope with a large range of yarn thickness)
- Single Bed Machine – has one flat bed of machine needles. It produces jersey or stocking stitch knitting.
- V-bed Knitting Machine – consists of two beds located across from each other and can produce tubes and flat knitting.
- Brother Knitting Machines are a brand that is popular for knitters wishing to create garter stitch on their machines as they offer a garter carriage.
What Does A Knitting Machine Do?
A domestic knitting machine creates knitted fabrics in a semi or fully automated way. It’s most often used to knit flat pieces then sewn together to make a garment.
The key parts of a flat bed knitting machine are a needle bed with up to 200 needles, and a knit carriage moving from side to side.
The needles look like tiny latch hooks, and can be placed in four positions: non-working, working, upper working, and hold.
A circular knitting machine has needles placed in a circle and knits in the round. It can also be used to knit pieces by going back and forth.
If the machine is operated by hand crank, it doesn’t require battery power.
Which Is The Best Knitting Machine For Home Use?
The best knitting machine for home use is the Addi Express Kingsize Knitting Machine. It’s possible to create knitted fabric for scarves, cowls, and hats. Back and forth rows for pieces can also be created.
Using a knitting machine for a range of simple creations will save you time. You won’t need to learn too many new techniques to use this home knitting machine. See my review below.
Addi Express King Size Knitting machine
The #1 Best Selling larger sized Circular Knitting Machine. The addiExpress King size Extended Edition is worth the money.
Loved by knitters who complete hats, baby blankets, scarves, and other knitted items effortlessly with this product, which many call the best machine for knitting.
If you want to speed up your gorgeous, finished knits, consider the addiExpress King size Extended Edition.
The kit includes an Addi Express King Size Knitting Machine including 5 replacement needles, punch cards, 1 threading tool, 2 stoppers, 4 base feet, needle holder, 2 clampers, “Winding instead of Knitting” book, an instruction manual.
Also an addi Express Crochet Hook.
The Addi Express King has 46 needles, more than twice the number of the original one, allowing for larger pieces.
Perfect for knitting scarves and woolly hats, or an infinity scarf. Knitted fabric panels for jumpers, sweaters, and blankets. The machine is cranked by turning the handle.
You finish in a shorter amount of time than if you hand-knit.
It has the option of an additional carriage, a lace carriage.
- Made in Germany, sturdy construction materials.
- Simple setup, easy to use, suitable for beginners
- Portable and space friendly
- Made in Germany, Addi Express machines offer excellent construction quality.
- Addi Express machines are straightforward to set up and begin knitting on.
- Speedy, less time in completing designs.
- The Addi offers both rows back and forth and circular knitting functions, a bonus for projects requiring the assembly of pieces.
- Can make panels.
- Lacks tension piece control mechanism: the only thing controlling your stitch size on the Addi is your kniting yarn. The yarn guide is just there to keep your yarn in place. You’ll need to use hand manipulation to adjust it.
- There is no way to mechanically adjust the tension piece on these machines to make the stitch smaller or bigger.
- Need to experiment to determine whether your knitting yarn will or won’t work with the machine.
- The Addi can’t offer anything other than a 46 stitch knitted circle.
- The digital row counter with memory function can be unreliable.
Making A Hat On The Addi Express Knitting Machine
SkacelKnitting on Youtube has created a fantastic tutorial on how to make a knitted hat in less than thirty minutes. Impossible? Not if you’re the proud owner of an Addi Express Knitting Machine!
Knitting a Flat Panel On The addi Express Kingsize
When you’ve bought your brand new knitting machine, you want to use it right away. Every minute you spent on studying complex material and diagrams could be spent knitting!
Here’s a tutorial on Knitting a Flat Panel piece. Created by SkacelKnitting on YouTube.
Here are 5 useful additions for the KingSize:
Winding Instead Of Knitting
Something for all seasons. Sweaters, caps, and a small beanbag. 31 fabulous designs. Something for the whole family.
Easy to follow, detailed procedures with gorgeous pictures. Each stitch pattern is designed with ‘fun’ in mind and is suitable even for beginners. The Winding Instead of Knitting book has 76 colored pages.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
addi Express Kingsize with 46 needles Instructions with Patterns
Contains 24 stitching patterns.
Included is a basic course for using the Kingsize version. Tips, tricks, and a helpful troubleshooting section.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
addi Express Stopper
You use these on either machine to increase and decrease stitches on a panel.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
addi Express Hook
The crochet hook is a great addition to your toolkit. Also very useful for complicated knitting and crocheting techniques.
In the instance a thread has slipped, the latch hook is the perfect tool to get everything back into position. Even easier than using your fingers for reaching all of the loops, in and around the machine.
This latch tool makes casting on and off the knitted fabric is a breeze.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
addi Express Knitting Machine Needle Replacements 5 Pack
Backup needles, the 5 pack contains 4 white needles, 1 black needle, and a red darning needle.
The 5 Pack fits both versions.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
addi-Express Combination Technique Instruction with patterns
Lovely socks and other accessories. They can be made without fuss. Inspirational ideas for the young and old, big and small.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
addi-Express Professional Knitting Machine
The addi-Express Professional has 22 needles.
You can machine knit circular knitted items in knit stitch and panels on this machine.
The size of the tube is something fitting around your arm or leg.
Flat panels can be stitched together to make knitted items wider.
Good ideas for suitable projects would be premmie hats, doll bonnets, narrow scarves, mittens, fingerless gloves, and baby sweaters.
- 22 needles Circular and plain knitted items can be created
- Many yarns can be used
- Made in Germany with sturdy materials
- Every product purchased from an Authorised addi Dealer comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
- Easy to create smaller sized projects in a short amount of time.
- Perfect for making small hats for Premmie babies or dolls, sock, scarves, and fingerless gloves.
- Difficult to get neat edges when creating rows of knit stitches for flat panels.
- Bulky weight yarn, stiff yarn, or cotton yarn are a challenge.
- Be mindful of the yarn weight you are working with
Here are 8 Useful Additions:
Replacement Needles 5 Pack
Backup needles are a great idea. The 5 pack contains 4 white needles, 1 black needle, and a red darning needle.
Fits both the addi Express Professional Knitting Machine and the Kingsize Knitting Machine.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
addi Express Stopper
The function is to increase and decrease stitches on a flat panel.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
addi Express Hook
A great addition to your toolkit.
Also useful for complicated knitting and crocheting. In the instance a thread slips, the screw hooks are the perfect tool to get everything back into place. Makes casting on an off a breeze.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
Combination Technique Instruction and Pattern Book
Lots of lovely ideas, including socks and other accessories. Crafts can be made quickly and without fuss.
Inspirational ideas for the young and old, large, and small.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
Winding Instead Of Knitting – New Instructions For The addi Express KingSize Knitting Machine
Patterns for all seasons. Sweaters, hats, and a small beanbag. Thirty-one fabulous designs, something for every member of the family.
Easy to follow, detailed steps, all with gorgeous colored pictures. Each craft pattern has been designed with ‘fun’ in mind and is suitable even for non-knitters.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
Addi Express Kingsize with 46 needles Pattern Booklet
Contains 24 patterns. Included is a basic course with step by step instructions for using the machine.
Tips and tricks and a helpful troubleshooting section.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
NSI Knitting Machine for Kids (Age 6+)
Do your children love to knit?
Lovely idea to share some crafty time with your family
A children’s knitting machine. Ideas suitable for this machine (with a little help) are kid-sized scarves, leg warmers, mittens, and hats.
- Made of Plastic Set includes knitting machine, safe sewing needle and two skeins of thread.
- For 6+ years
A Useful Addition If You Decide To Buy The NSI Knitting Machine
Kids Knitting: Projects for Kids of all Ages
In fifteen easy projects, from bouncy bean bags to a rolled-edge sweater, author and knitting expert Melanie Falick teaches beginners how to knit.
Step-by-step instructions and candy-colored illustrations for each project. Beginners learn the basics: knitting tools, finger-knitting, and basic stitches such as knit, purl stitches, mattress, overcast, embroidery, and stockinette.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
- Youth can make their own knitted creations (with a little help)
- Some assembly required
- Some younger users will need help to cast on and off
NKOK Singer Knitting Machine
Another option for a children’s knitting machine.
Knit scarves, hats, shoulder bags, socks, forearm warmers, and more. Made from plastic but treated with care, it will last longer.
Some will need help through some stages, casting on and off.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
The NKOK Singer Knitting machine is pink and white. Recommended for ages 8 and up. The pack includes knitting machine two skeins of yarn, one knitting hook, one yarn needle and instructions.
- Simple set-up, easier for young ones
- A great introduction to knitting
- Some assembly required
Smart Weaver Knitting Kit Machine for Kids
On this knitting machine, knit scarves, hats, shoulder bags, socks, forearm warmers, and more.
The Smart Weaver Knitting Machine is made from plastic. Treated with care, it will last longer. Some will need some help casting on and off.
The Smart Weaver Knitting Kit Machine recommended for 6 and up. A small circular knitting machine. Perfect for the little knitter in your life.
- Able to create tubes (circular knitting) or flat panels
- Suitable for Ages 6 & Up
- Will be able to make knitted creations (with a little help)
- Different stages of use will require adult help.
The Ultimate Sweater Machine
A knitting machine with a six key plate. Super fast for projects such as an adult sweater or afghan.
Can use yarn of different weights. A variety of knitting stitches can be used – cable, lace, Fair Isle, and many others.
A detailed instructional video is included on all the basic stitches and fancy stitches. Compatible with hand knitting patterns as well as ultimate knitting books.
This machine has six key-plate to match every size knitting needle from 6 to 10-1/2. Make an afghan or sweater up to 100 stitches across.
Able to knit 1200 stitches a minute.
Every machine has a detailed instructional video on all basic stitches and fancy stitches. Has a limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Six Key Plate Can match every size knitting needle from 6 to 10-1/2.
- Made in the USA
- It accepts yarns from sport to chunky.
- Portable and reasonably light
- Variety of basic and fancy stitches are possible
- Takes time and practice to use and work correctly.
- Need to watch the instructional video several times.
- Requires manual adjustment to do fancier stitches.
Machine Row Counter
Keeps your rows counted automatically, saving time and having to count rows manually.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
Extends the machine by 30 needles.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
Hand Manipulated Stitches for Machine Knitters
Essential for every machine knitter’s library! Wonderful tips and tricks and easy to read! The author, Susan Guagliumi, an excellent machine knitter, who’s had more than 25 years in the knitting machine industry.
Extend your creativity with this inspiration.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
Hand Knits by Machine: The Ultimate Guide for Hand and Machine Knitters
Addresses the issues involved in adapting hand knit patterns and techniques to a knitting machine. Author, Susan Fletcher Guagliumi, has more than 25 years of experience in the knitting machine industry.Click to Learn More / Buy from Amazon
Prym MIDI Knitting Mill Machine
It’s portable and lightweight. The largest number of stitches you can use is 20 when knitting in the round and 16 when knitting flat panels.
- Made in Germany
- Easy to use
- Suitable for small projects
- Circular knitting and flat panels
- With a mode switch for added flexibility in what you can create
- Need to work the machine slowly to ensure no dropped stitches.
- Takes experimenting to find the most suitable yarn.
Prym Knitting Mill Maxi
It’s lightweight and hand-operated. The largest number of stitches you can use is 44 when knitting in the round and 40 when knitting back and forth panels.
- Circular design
- Made in Germany
- Easy to use
- Suitable for circular and flat panel design.
- Need to work the machine slowly to ensure no dropped stitches.
- Takes experimentation to find the most suitable yarn weight
It can be incredibly hard for beginners to select the ideal knitting machine.
There are many models to sift through.
Your best bet is to decide what sort of design (big or small) you want to create with a knitting machine.
Regardless of which one of the many knitting machines you choose, you’ll save time with these knitting devices than if you did hand knitting.
Best of luck using your new favorite tool. 🙂
Something we forgot? Leave a question or comment at the end.
Image credits: © Amazon.com
Related Posts: Here Are Some Other Posts That May Interest You:
Yarn Winders… Are They Worth It? The 12 Best Yarn Ball Winders