Carbon Fiber Needles are made of a composite material with incredible strength and it’s lightweight. These needles have existed for over 10 years.
Carbon fiber composite is a polymer (epoxy) reinforced with carbon fibers.
Table Of Contents
- Features of Carbon Fiber Needles
- Carbon Fiber Interchangeable Knitting Needles
- Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Interchangeable Starter Set
- Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Interchangeable Limited Edition Box Set
- Carbon Fiber Circular Knitting Needles
- Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Fixed Circular Knitting Needles
- Carbon Fiber Double Pointed Needles
- Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Double Pointed Needles
- Carbon Fiber Straight Needles
- Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Straight Needles
- NewHouse Handcrafted Carbon Fiber Needles
- Blackthorn Carbon Fiber Needles
Features of Carbon Fiber Needles
- Their strength. They won’t break like wood and they don’t bend like metal, especially in the small sizes.
- They aren’t cold and slippery like metal needles and not as grabby as wood or bamboo needles. They feel warm in the hand.
- The first carbon fiber composite knitting needles were from Blackthorn and were offered exclusively as DPNs.
- Carbon fiber can be thinner than a strand of human hair and gets its strength when twisted together like yarn.
Get the lowdown on where to find some amazing yarn websites.
Carbon Fiber Interchangeable Knitting Needles
Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Interchangeable Starter Set
The Karbonz needles have high tensile strength with tips in electroplated nickel brass. They’re lightweight with lots of flexibility.
Surface made of carbon fiber help the stitches move smoothly on the needle.
They have flexible cords that lay flat with no kink or twist.
They feel warm to touch and gentle in your hand.
- Set of 5 Karbonz Interchangeable Circular Needle Tips 4.5″ (2 tips each of US Sizes: US 2.5 (3.0mm), US 3 (3.25mm), US 4 (3.5mm), US 5 (3.75mm), US 6 (4.0mm))
- 2 Cords to make 24″ & 32″ + 4 Endcaps
- 2 Cord keys packed in an attractive case with see-through vinyl case
Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Interchangeable Limited Edition Box Set
These interchangeable Karbonz knitting needles have high tensile strength with tips in electroplated nickel brass. They are lightweight and warm in your hand.
The Limited Edition set contains nine sizes of Karbonz Needle Tips –
- US size 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11 (3.5, 3.75, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 & 8.0mm)
- 4 cords (one each of 24″ & 40″ and two of 32″)
- 1 set of cord connectors
Carbon Fiber Circular Knitting Needles
Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Fixed Circular Knitting Needles
These needles combine high-tech carbon fiber with tips in electroplated nickel brass. Tips are tapered – Ideal for all types of yarns and every project.
Unlike other metal needles, they’re warm to touch.
A smooth join ensures easy stitch glide and no snagging.
- Lightweight and speedy
- The nickel-plated brass tips in Karbonz puts them off-limits for people with nickel sensitivities.
Carbon Fiber Double Pointed Needles
Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Double Pointed Needles
The steel points are a popular feature for knitters. These needles are delightful to work with. Pointy steel tips make them fast for knitting.
The toothy carbon fiber holds your stitches well once on the needles.
Sizes available: US 00000 to US 10
Available in 6″ and 8″ lengths
Carbon Fiber Straight Needles
Knitter’s Pride Karbonz Straight Needles
These 10″ Single Pointed Needles combine the premium quality of carbon fiber with perfectly shaped nickel plated brass tips. These knitting needles are incredibly light and flexible, warm to the touch, yet firm and durable.
The nickel-plated brass tips in Karbonz will mean people with nickel sensitivities can’t use them.
NewHouse Handcrafted Carbon Fiber Needles
Custom Carbon Fiber Needles, handcrafted in the USA. Each needle is hand-ground and polished with a long taper and fine point.
The lightweight needles have enough slip to move your stitches along the tips quickly, yet grab enough to keep your stitches from slipping off.
The cable on the circular needle is flexible without being overly soft. Each join is hand formed and polished to a smooth finish. Cheryl, the owner, tests each join to ensure that stitches will glide smoothly over the join and cable.
There is no stock listed on their website as they no longer produce needles due to their US carbon fiber rod supplier not maintaining quality. They still do special requests for sets of double pointed needles US 1 – 0000 from the rods they still have left over that were of excellent quality.
In the past, they offered custom lengths from 3″ up to 48″. US size 00, 000, 0000, 0, 1, 3, 5, 7 in double points and straights. The straight needles have Freshwater pearls set with Swarovski crystals.
Cheryl produces beautiful hand dyed yarns from hand spun fleece, that are definitely worth having a look at.
Blackthorn Carbon Fiber Needles
These are the original carbon needles, made in the USA from 100% carbon fiber—the material used for the Blackbird Stealth Jet’s outer skin.
Production ceased many years ago due to the manufacturer deciding to close the business due to them having poor eyesight. Knitters found the Blackthorn Double Pointed needles great to work with, particularly for socks.
They came as 6″ in length and were available in sizes 0000 to 4, in sets of 5, and they also offered a travel case.
I read in a Ravelry thread by the maker of these needles saying WEBS Yarn advertise Blackthorn needles. They are not the original Blackthorn Carbon Fiber needles made by the original manufacturer.
There’s been high praise for Carbon Fiber needles in the knitting community. As with any material, you need to check if they’ll work for you.
I hope this guide has helped, and if you have any questions, please get in touch here or drop me a note below.