The internet is vast and has many uses. Why not use it to buy all types of yarn too? There are many beautiful, one-of-a-kind products, all at your fingertips.
In this post, I’ve listed the best yarn companies, how to buy yarn online, what to look for, and many more helpful tips.
For those in a hurry, a list of the best place to buy yarn online.
There are many yarn sites online. It’s hard to know which one to use. I hope you find my guide useful.
Table Of Contents
- Why Should You Shop Online
- How Do You Shop For Yarn?
- Know What Yarn You’re Looking For
- Remember Your Yarn Symbols & Labels!
- Things To Remember When Buying Yarn Online
- Which Is The Best Yarn To Buy?
- Where Can I Buy Inexpensive Yarn?
- What Is The Most Expensive Yarn?
- Best Place To Buy Yarn Online
- Knit Picks – The Best Place To Buy Yarn Online
- Love Crafts
- Fabulous Yarn
- Jimmy Beans Wool
- Purl Soho
- Lion Brand Yarn
Why Should You Shop Online?
Shopping for yarn in a yarn store isn’t just shopping, it’s a real experience. Yarn stores are lovely places, full of my favorite things, yarn, needles, and all things knitting.
Times are changing with the purchasing preferences of knitters. (1)
You can also feel the wool. Buying yarn online, you can’t touch the product. It only exists on your computer screen. That’s the only real downside to the bes places to buy online, though.
Buying yarn online is a whole different experience, like shopping in a physical store; it has its pros and cons.
There are many reasons to shop online, including
- If you have limited mobility
- If yarn stores aren’t near where you live
- If you don’t have transport options
- If you don’t feel like going out!
Though you might prefer yarn stores, some of the benefits of shopping for yarn online are
- Deals and discounts aplenty
- Delivered straight to your door
- Spoiled for choice
- Brands not accessible otherwise
The internet is a big, confusing place. Hard to know where to look or what to look for! Below, here’s all the information to keep in mind when choosing yarn, then I’ll list the best yarn websites.
How Do I Shop For Yarn?
Here’s a checklist of simple steps.
- Browse through the yarn shops to choose a yarn store of your preference. There are options to help you decide later on in the post.
- Use the tips below to choose the perfect yarn from that store.
- Add it to your cart, browse around for any additional things you need to buy.
- Pay for your order at the checkout.
- Arrange the shipping
- Celebrate! Your purchase will arrive in the mail ready for you to use!
In the real world, you’d find a yarn shop and go from there. But on the internet, it’s different!
If you get stuck, every yarn company has a dedicated customer service.
Know What Yarn You’re Looking For
Things to keep in mind when looking for the perfect yarn.
- What kind of fiber?
- What kind of weight?
- How much do you need?
- What colors?
- What type of yarn?
- Can you put it through a machine wash?
- Does it have reasonable pricing?
- What form does it come in (hank, skein, ball, cake?)
- What are you making? (Mittens, scarves, hats, a sweater, or socks?)
Remember Your Yarn Symbols & Labels!
Yarn labels have a wealth of information on them. They’re essential to help you know all the specifics of the product. These include:
- Yarn Weight – Ranging from 0-7, it explains how thick it is
- Gauge – A rough estimate of the recommended gauge for knitting
- Needle Sizing – Recommended needle sizes.
- Yarn Amount – How much you get in one ball
- Care Instructions – How to wash/take care of the material
Make a checklist of what you need, and reference this when choosing a product.
Things To Remember When Buying Yarn Online
Remember The Desired Specifics
Make sure you keep track of what you need in your yarn! Refer to your pattern/project guidelines. That way, you won’t make a mistake in the specifics of your yarn needs.
Carefully Read The Product Description
This is self-explanatory, but make sure you read every detail! They often contain important information on all aspects of the item. Don’t want to miss something important, like care instructions or extra helpful information!
Read Customer Reviews
When you can’t test or see the yarn for real, it’s good to learn from other’s experiences. Read the reviews on the yarn page, and pay attention to extra details.
Does it wash well? Is it colorfast? Does it knit up well? People will include these details and more. An excellent way to determine whether you should buy it or not.
Watch Out For Bargains & Sales
Often, you can find ways to save on your purchases. Yarn websites run sales or savings regularly, slashing the price of what you’d usually pay.
The best way to keep track of these is to sign up for the newsletter. Often, they offer 10-15% percent off your first purchase when you first sign up.
These aren’t just promotional email lists. They also include knitting techniques, tips, tricks, and smart ideas.
Or you can follow the company on social media. Sometimes they post about offers on their channels.
They’ll often have limited-time deals, so be ready to snag a bargain.
Yes, online stores run clearance sales too! Something to keep an eye out for. They’re usually advertised on their social media or newsletters.
Fibers suited for winter, such as merino, wool, mohair, or alpaca, are in clearance during warmer months. Ones suited for summer or warmer weather are in clearance during colder months.
Another way to save on yarn is to buy a kit. The yarn is generally cheaper, plus materials and patterns come included — more bang for your money. For great ideas on the best knitting kits, read my review here.
Sometimes they’ll have boxes or a bundle pack with a mix of different yarns, another way to save.
Knit Picks runs a monthly sale on one of their yarn brands, with 20% off. Often patterns suited to that yarn are discounted too.
Returns, Exchanges, Refunds
In case you’re not happy with your purchase, or there’s something wrong with the product, like not the right color. You may need to return, exchange, or get it refunded.
Make sure you read the return policy from the company before you buy it.
Which Is The Best Yarn To Buy?
It depends on the item you’re knitting, what fiber you prefer, what colors you need, what weight, and how much of it you need. Use your pattern and project as guidelines for the yarn you’ll buy and any personal considerations.
Such as whether you’re allergic or find a specific fiber irritates your skin, if you’re knitting for someone else, what they prefer, and colors they’d like.
Pay attention to customer reviews to help determine whether you should get yarn or not.
Where Can I Buy Inexpensive Yarn?
Amazon is an excellent spot to buy yarn in bulk for a discounted price, a bit cheaper than other stores.
Knit Picks offers brilliant affordability and low prices.
Look at the store’s newsletters and the tips I’ve shared above to save and snag bargains on yarns and other items.
What Is The Most Expensive Yarn?
Vicuna is a relative of the alpaca and llama from South America, and costs around $300 for one ounce! Some very expensive knitting.
Other fancy yarn includes qiviut, from the Arctic Muskox, superfine merino, baby alpaca, and luxury jumbo yarns.
If you have the budget, it might be something you want to splurge on one day. If only…
Cashmere and alpaca yarn may come to mind, but there’s more expensive yarn than that!
Best Places To Buy Yarn Online
Not necessarily listed in the order of best to worst, it’s a collection of the best online yarn stores on the internet to buy yarn.
Some are dedicated solely to selling the best yarns. Others have more, for example, knitting needles, bags, and everything a knitter could need!
I’m listing my top recommendations below.
KnitPicks is an excellent online yarn store in this list of places to buy yarn due to its range, selection, and high-quality items.
Founded in 2002, what started as a small company selling knitting notions became the respected international company it is today.
Unique as a store and manufacturer combined, they create all their items exclusively for their store. You won’t find them anywhere else.
An advanced but easy to use search filter helps you categorize your search by yarn weight, color, fiber, and more. Perfect for beginners of purchasing online!
They’ve developed many yarn lines for specific purposes in mind. Dishie Yarn, (a worsted weight yarn) for dishcloths, Fable Fur, ethical faux fur yarn and many different kinds. Plenty of ideas for additions to your yarn stash.
If you’ve never bought from these people, you have no idea what you’re missing out on.
- Based in the US, they create merchandise in and from the USA and Canadian yarn when they can.
- Ethical sourcing, for every step of their creations, from materials to labor
- They pride themselves on affordability and quality, low cost item
- Easy to use and comprehensive search filter
- An excellent email list, worth the subscribe!
- Plenty of video tutorials on their blog, also useful posts regularly.
- Affordable price range, very reasonable!
- Free shipping with orders over $75
- Reliable shipping
- Trustworthy and easy return policy
- Large selection of quality goods and accessories, like cotton yarn
- They sell undyed yarn if that’s your thing
- Loved by knitters globally
- Simple layout, easy to navigate and place an order
- Plenty of patterns from independent designers
- Some colors aren’t exactly accurate to the real product but very close.
The giant of e-commerce, they sell almost everything you could want. Yes, they sell knitting supplies, and of course, they’re an online yarn store!
It’s the best place to buy yarn in bulk online because they offer discounts for when you buy ten or more of the same yarn. It’s great when you need yarn in bulk for a large project, like a massive blanket.
Remember, they don’t offer wholesale prices for wool. For wholesale buying, you’d need to go directly to the seller or buy from a department store.
- Massive range
- Many sellers, and different products
- Not only yarn, but they sell all sorts of knitting items.
- If you’re an amazon prime member, you can take advantage of discounts and free shipping
- Easy to use if you’re familiar with the website already
- All your online purchases are in one place
- Popular brands including Red Heart, Patons & more
- Colors may not be entirely accurate as to the physical yarn
- Some yarns do not ship if you live outside the US
Here are some of the yarns I’ve recommended in my Best Yarn for Baby Blankets post and Yarn for Socks post from Amazon.Bernat Baby Blanket Big Ball Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball
Note: Clicking the above links will take you to further information, current prices, and customer reviews on Amazon.
More of a website for inspiration, patterns, books, techniques, and supplies related to knitting, though you can buy yarn there.
Exclusive and many different brands only available on that site, as well as stocking many familiar favorites. Something for everyone. One of the excellent places to buy not only yarn, but notions too.
Excellent quality thick yarns perfect for using for a blanket.
(Note: Love Crafts was formerly known as Love Knitting.)
- A variety of different patterns, books, and inspiration for your knitting project once you’ve chosen your yarn
- Products created by talented knitters all over the world
- Easy to filter your search by fiber, weight, color.
- Varied price range, for all budgets
- Fair return policy
- Easy to make orders
- International Shipping
- An active and large community
- Shipping prices are a bit high
Family-run and owned since 1878, this company is the oldest in this collection, they’re already over 100 years old!
Now run by the fifth generation of their family, they transitioned into the digital age in 1998.
They’ve aged well over the years, keeping up with the ever-shifting market and releasing wonderful products each year, still being one of the best places to buy yarn. Despite the name, they don’t only sell yarn.
They have kits, patterns, and other knitting notions.
Plenty of range and excellent quality, they’re committed to positive social and environmental change.
- Many free patterns available for download.
- Wonderful variety of all sorts of products, an excellent site for searching for gifts
- Vibrant and engaging social channels
- International shipping and fair prices
- Excellent return policy
- Clearance sales regularly look for a discount on popular yarns in all colors in the rainbow.
- They only sell yarn from their brand, which means you’re slightly limited in terms of choice
- No free shipping
A yarn shop with many popular yarn brands all in one site, some of these include Patons and Lily Sugar & Cream. They also recently acquired the line Red Heart, so you can buy yarn from common North American brands.
Note: The Red Heart website now redirects to the range on Yarnspirations.
Their selection is extensive and well catered to all sorts of projects and types of yarns. They also sell patterns, notions, books, bags, and many more. Everything a knitter needs.
Their bright burst of color characterizes many of their yarns.
- Well trusted company with years of experience.
- Many popular yarn brands in one place
- Many yarn options and weights, from superfine to worsted weight yarn
- Safe and Secure
- Prompt and trackable shipping
- Reachable by email if you have trouble, quick and friendly responses
- They take good care of their customers
- Lots of great price ranges
- Free patterns available
This may seem like yet another online yarn shop, but it’s a small, independent yarn company with a small yarn store in Tivoli, NY.
A luxury yarn store that prides itself on selling beautiful, handcrafted and one-of-a-kind yarn balls, of all sorts of materials and colors.
Very unique, I’ve never seen another knitting website anything like it.
They have lovely wool yarn, usually from sheep and alpaca. Plenty of beautiful wool just dreaming of being added to your yarn stash! An exellent place to buy yarn, beautiful ideas for your next project at this yarn shop.
- Plenty of lovely hand-dyed luxury skeins available.
- They have both wool yarn and plant fibers.
- Great for people who love yarn that’s a work of art in itself.
- Lovely yarns of all weights including worsted weight and many colors available fdor knitting and crochet projects.
- Great specialty yarns you won’t find anywhere else
- Fast shipping for orders, and available internationally
- Good returns policy
- Free shipping in the US for orders over $75
- A bit of a smaller range than most companies
Started in 2002 by Laura Zander and her husband, Jimmy Beans Wool is named, not after a person but the nickname of Laura’s. The beans in the names come from when they used to run a coffee shop together.
They have many brands and have created many innovative products since their beginning.
Plenty of selection to buy yarn, from the cheaper acrylic to luxury yarns like cashmere.
- A family-owned company
- Trusted and loved by knitters, crocheters & makers worldwide who shop there
- A friendly community
- A variety of fabulous merchandise, like knitting needles and others.
- Unique yarns you won’t find anywhere else.
- Flat Rate shipping of $5 for orders within the US.
- Free shipping in the US with orders over $75
- Good return policy
- Easy to use website
- Many free patterns available
A family-owned business with two choices where to buy from — a physical location and an online store, Purl Soho, was founded in 2002. (Yes, there’s a pattern in these companies’ founding year, isn’t there?)
They focus on a lot of handcrafted, exquisite goods from all across the sphere of knitting supplies, with, of course, yarn!
Beautiful ideas for your next project, and something to suit any project or tastes.
Putting a focus on diversity and paying great attention to their clientele, they bring a very human side to their company and knitting. People put a great deal of trust in them for a good reason.
- Beautiful quality products, like their knitting needles and bags/pouches.
- Much effort put into their selection
- Extensive resources for crafters on all forms of craft
- Hand-dyed skeins of many different colors
- Hundreds of positive reviews from customers
- Transparent and excellent return policy
- Friendly customer service if you have a question
- A wide offering of different products and yarn weights available
- Easy to make and manage orders
- High shipping fees
I hope this resource on the best online yarn shops was helpful. If you have a question or if I’ve missed something, please let me know in the comments.
Feel free to share so other people can benefit from the resources.
What’s your favorite online yarn manufacturer, or your best place online to buy yarn from? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
(1) Stacey Trock, Yarn Industry News Update: January 2020. Retrieved from https://craftindustryalliance.org/yarn-industry-news-update-january-2020/, Feb 2020