Chiaogoo and HiyaHiya are Chinese companies that make knitting needles. This is a comparison between each one’s needles to help you decide which one is right for you.
Table Of Contents
HiyaHiya Vs Chiaogoo
The Differences & Similarities
- HiyaHiya Sharps 4″ Small – US 2-8 (2.75mm – 5mm)
- HiyaHiya Sharps 4″ Large – US 9-15 (5.5mm – 10mm)
- Chiaogoo Lace Complete Set – US 2- 15 (2.75mm – 10mm)
- Chiaogoo offer shorties needle sets to create 9-inch lengths
- None printed on the HiyaHiya needle tips
- Chiaogoo have sizes labeled on the shaft in small print
- HiyaHiya Sharps – Long and sharp
- Chiaogoo Lace – Long and sharp
- HiyaHiya Sharps – Shiny, no drag
- Chiaogoo Lace – Slightly matte, no drag
- HiyaHiya Sharps – Long taper, no catch
- Chiaogoo Lace – Long taper
- Hiya Hiya Sharps – Blue, flexible, and thin. Doesn’t kink, nor does it have a lifeline hole.
- Chiaogoo Lace – Multi-stranded, steel cable coated with red nylon. Flexible and doesn’t kink and has a life line.
- Both the 5 inch Chiaogoo and Hiya Hiya needle sets are an investment. At the time of writing Chiaogoo was around $28 less than the price of the Hiya Hiya set.
Which Interchangeable Knitting Needles Are Best?
Interchangeable sets vary between the two brands. They’re very similar in many ways, but when compared the HiyaHiya needle tips are sharper than the Chiaogoo tips.
Many knitters would love to see a needle created with the HiyaHiya tips and the Chiaogoo Red Lace cables. They believe this would be a perfect combination.
Choosing the best is difficult as knitting needle choice comes down to a knitter’s preference. What knitting tools are preferred for knitting patterns projects. Below are the metal needles in the interchangeable sets for both brands.
ChiaoGoo Red Twist InterchangeablesCheck Price On Amazon
- Needle Sizes – 2 – 15 (US size), 2.75 – 10.00 (mm size)
- Cord Lengths – three small cables and three large cables to make 24-inch (60 cm), 32-inch (80 cm), and 40-inch (100 cm) circulars.
- Needles Tips Are 5″ Long.
- Accessories – easy-to-read, coded cable connectors, end stoppers, T-Shaped tightening keys, plastic ring stitch markers, a needle gauge, and a compact zipper-enclosed fabric case.
- Sharp tapered points
- Smooth surfaces
- Superior quality
- Some users experienced a coating on their cables. It can be removed with rubbing alcohol.
HiyaHiya Sharp 5“ Interchangeable Knitting NeedlesCheck Price On Amazon
- Needle Sizes – (2 US / 2.75 mm – 15 US / 10 mm )
- Cord Lengths – 4 cables (18″, 26″, 34″, 42″)
- Hiya Hiya Sharps Needles Tips Are 5″ Long.
- Made From – High-quality stainless steel
- Small Cable Connectors Tip Adapter, Small and Large Panda Stoppers, Small and Large Single Point Adapters, Puppy Snip, Darn Its, Knitters Safety Pins, Interchangeable Case Assorted fabric cases and Rubber Grips
- Super sharp tapered points
- Flexible swivel cables
- Yarn glides over the surface
- Some users found the screw connection loosened. I’d recommend tightening the screw join before starting your knitting.
Chiaogoo Fixed Circular Knitting NeedlesCheck Price On Amazon
The Red Lace Circulars come in lengths of
- 16″ (40cm) – Needle Sizes US 000 (1.5mm) to US15 (10mm)
- 24″ (60cm) – US 000 (1.5mm) to US19 (15mm)
- 32″ (80cm) – US 000 (1.5mm) to US19 (15mm)
- 40″ (100cm) – US 000 (1.5mm) to US19 (15mm)
- 47″(120cm) – US 0 – (2mm) to US19 (15mm)
- 60″ (150cm) – US 0 – (2mm) to US19 (15mm)
The tips are 5” long made from surgical stainless steel. The red cables are memory-free, made from multi-strand steel, and nylon-coated.
- The points are beautifully tapered and sharp
- Cables are flexible and easy to work with
- Surface is smooth
- The yarn glides over without snagging
- Excellent for small, medium and large projects
- Probably not the best choice for beginners who’d prefer a bit of grip on their needle surface.
ChiaoGoo Double-Pointed NeedlesCheck Price On Amazon
Set of 5 Double Point needles, each 6″ (15cm) These are ChiaoGoo red (stainless steel) double point knitting needles.
- Sizes – US 1 (2.25mm) – US 11 (8mm)
- Needles Are 6″ Long
- Easy to knit in the round
- Some may find the 6″ length a bit short if used to knitting on longer double pointed needles.
HiyaHiya 6″ Sharp Double Pointed Needle SetCheck Price On Amazon
- Sizes – 4 Sets of 5 needles in sizes 1, 1.5,2 and 2.5
- Needles Are 6″ Long.
- Smooth as silk surface
- Super sharp tips
- I wouldn’t recommend them for a beginner sock knitter. They’re super smooth and sharp. You might experience dropped and split stitches.
Chiaogoo and HiyaHiya are quite similar, so it’s hard to declare one is overall better than the other. In the end, it’s up to you to decide for yourself, based on your personal preference.
Both companies also offer crochet hooks if your a crocheter.
Which one do you prefer? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.
Pin For Later