Chiaogoo and HiyaHiya are Chinese companies that make knitting needles in materials from stainless steel to bamboo.
This is a comparison between each one’s needles, the differences, and similarities to help you decide which one is right for you.
Table Of Contents
- HiyaHiya Versus Chiaogoo, The Differences & Similarities
- Which Interchangeable Knitting Needles Are Best?
- ChiaoGoo Red Lace Twist Interchangeables
- HiyaHiya Sharp 5“ Interchangeable Needles
- Chiaogoo Fixed Circular Knitting Needles
- HiyaHiya 40” Magic Loop Set
- ChiaoGoo Double-Pointed Needles
- HiyaHiya 6″ Sharp Double Pointed Needles Set
- What Are Lace Knitting Needles?
HiyaHiya Vs Chiaogoo, The Differences & Similarities
- HiyaHiya Sharps 4″ Small – US 2-8 (2.75mm – 5mm)
- HiyaHiya Sharps 4″ Large – US 9-15 (5.5mm – 10mm)
- Chiaogoo Lace Complete Set – US 2- 15 (2.75mm – 10mm)
- None printed on the HiyaHiya needle tips
- Chiaogoo have the sizes labeled on the shaft in very small print
- HiyaHiya Sharps – Long and very sharp
- Chiaogoo Lace – Long and sharp
- HiyaHiya Sharps – Shiny, no drag
- Chiaogoo Lace – Slightly matte, no drag
- HiyaHiya Sharps – Long taper, no catch
- Chiaogoo Lace – Long taper
- Hiya Hiya Sharps – Blue, very flexible, and thin. Doesn’t kink, nor does it have a lifeline hole.
- Chiaogoo Lace – Multi-stranded, steel cable coated with red nylon. Flexible and doesn’t kink and has a life line.
Which Interchangeable Knitting Needles Are Best?
Interchangeable sets vary between the two brands. They’re very similar in many ways, but the HiyaHiya needle tips are sharper than the Chiaogoo tips.
Many knitters would love to see a needle created with the HiyaHiya tips and the Chiaogoo Red Lace cables. They believe this would be a perfect combination.
Choosing the best is difficult as knitting needle choice comes down to a knitter’s preference.
Below are the metal needles in the interchangeable sets for both brands.
ChiaoGoo Red Twist Interchangeables
- Needle Sizes Included – 2 – 15 (US size), 2.75 – 10.00 (mm size)
- Cord Lengths Included – three small cables and three large cables to make 24 in (60 cm), 32 in (80 cm), and 40 in (100 cm) circulars.
- Needles Tips Are 5″ Long.
- Made From – Surgical grade steel.
- Also included with each set are easy-to-read, coded cable connectors, end stoppers, T-Shaped tightening keys, stitch markers, a needle gauge, and a compact zipper-enclosed fabric case.
- Sharp tapered points
- Smooth surfaces
- Superior quality
- Some users experienced a coating on their cables. It can be removed with rubbing alcohol.
HiyaHiya Sharp 5“ Interchangeable Knitting Needles
- Needle Sizes Included – (2 US / 2.75 mm – 15 US / 10 mm )
- Cord Lengths Included – 4 cables (18″, 26″, 34″, 42″)
- Hiya Hiya Sharps Needles Tips Are 5″ Long.
- Made From – High-quality stainless steel
- Also included – Small Cable Connectors Tip Adapter, Small and Large Panda Stoppers, Small and Large Single Point Adapters, Puppy Snip, Darn Its, Knitters Safety Pins, Interchangeable Case Assorted fabric cases and Rubber Grips
- Super sharp tapered points
- Flexible swivel cables
- Yarn glides over the surface
- Some users found the screw connection loosened. I’d recommend tightening the screw join before starting your knitting.
Chiaogoo Fixed Circular Knitting Needles
The Red Lace Circulars come in lengths of
- 16″ (40cm) – Needle Sizes US 000 (1.5mm) to US15 (10mm)
- 24″ (60cm) – US 000 (1.5mm) to US19 (15mm)
- 32″ (80cm) – US 000 (1.5mm) to US19 (15mm)
- 40″ (100cm) – US 000 (1.5mm) to US19 (15mm)
- 47″(120cm) – US 0 – (2mm) to US19 (15mm)
- 60″ (150cm) – US 0 – (2mm) to US19 (15mm)
The tips are 5” long made from surgical stainless steel. The red cables are memory-free, made from multi-strand steel, and nylon-coated.
- The points are beautifully tapered and sharp
- Cables are flexible and easy to work with
- Surface is smooth
- The yarn glides over without snagging
- Probably not the best choice for beginners who’d prefer a bit of grip on their needle surface.
ChiaoGoo Double-Pointed Needles
Set of 5 Double Point needles, each 6″ (15cm) These are ChiaoGoo red (stainless steel) double point knitting needles.
- Sizes Available – US 1 (2.25mm) – US 11 (8mm)
- Needles Are 6″ Long
- Easy to knit in the round
- Some may find the 6″ length a bit short if used to knitting on longer double pointed needles.
HiyaHiya 6″ Sharp Double Pointed Needle Set
- Sizes Included – 4 Sets of 5 needles in sizes 1, 1.5,2 and 2.5
- Needles Are 6″ Long.
- Made From – Stainless steel
- Smooth as silk surface
- Super sharp tips
- I wouldn’t recommend them for a beginner sock knitter. They’re super smooth and sharp. You might experience dropped and split stitches.
What Are Lace Knitting Needles?
Lace Knitting Needles have characteristics that help knitters make accurate, balanced stitches when knitting lace.
They have a super smooth surface and a sharp and tapered point. They are made from different materials such as stainless steel, bamboo, and wood. The preference will be up to the individual knitter.
Chiaogoo and HiyaHiya are quite similar, so it’s hard to declare one is overall better than the other. In the end, it’s up to you to decide for yourself, based on your personal preference.
Which one do you prefer? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.