Kinki Amibari KA has supplied high-quality bamboo knitting needles since 1916.
The company is famous for ka bamboo knitting needles in Japan, but not well-known in the United States. Their range is also called SeeKnit.
I reviewed and updated this post on September 7, 2022
My Quick Recommendations
- Best For Flat Knitting – Ka Classic Bamboo Knitting Needles
- Best Range Of Sizes – Ka Interchangeable Circular Knitting Needles
- Best For Knitting In The Round – Ka Circular Knitting Needles
- Best For Sock/Hat Knitting – Ka Double Pointed Needles
Table Of Contents
- What To Look For In Ka Knitting Needles
- Ka Straights
- Ka Interchangeable Needles
- Ka Circulars
- Ka DPNs
- Which One Is Best For You?
What Makes The Best Ka Knitting Needles
Here are some key decision-making factors to look for when choosing the best Ka knitting needles.
What’s It Made Of?
Selected Moso and Madake bamboo grown in Japan are used. The surface is polished with natural plant wax. This gives needles excellent luster and smooth texture.
The Koshitsu line has a brown tint, and the Shirotake line is a natural color.
The Koshitsu needles have been heat and pressure treated, thus the darker color. They are then polished with plant wax.
The Shirotake needle’s surface is the natural bamboo color. The plant wax gives them a fine texture and luster.
What Type Of Needles Are They?
KA Needles offer SeeKnit Double Pointed Needles, Single pointed needles, Circular needles, and Interchangeable Knitting Needles.
How Long Are They?
Depending on the type of knitting needle, the length varies.
What Sizes Are Available?
There is a range of sizes depending on the style of the needle. The specific sizes are given below for each type.
Are They Comfortable To Use?
Kinki Amibari KA circular needles are high-quality bamboo, with an enhanced quality finish making knitting comfortable and effortless.
Do The Stitches Stay On The Needle?
There’s a fair amount of drag on the needle shaft, so they stay on.
Are They Durable?
As with any smaller diameter needles made of bamboo, they break if you don’t treat them with care.
Searching for the best online yarn shop? Take a look here.
Ka Straights – Best For Flat Knitting
How Does It Compare?
- Made Of – Japanese Moso and Madake bamboo
- Length – 9″ / 23 cm, 12″ / 30cm, 14″ / 35cm
- Available Sizes – Size: US 0 (2.00mm), 1 (2.25), 1.5 (2.50), 2 (2.75), 3mm 3 (3.25mm), 4 (3.50), 5, 6 (4.00mm) 7 (4.50mm), 8 (5.00mm), 9 (5.50mm), 10 (6.00mm), 10.5 (6.50mm), 7.00mm, 11 (8.00mm), 13 (9.00mm), 15 (10.00mm), 17 (12.00mm), 15.00mm, 20.00 mm
- (15.00mm and above are made from wood)
- Are They Comfortable? – Smooth and lightweight, these needles are a dream to knit with. The slick surface helps with knitting speed.
- Do The Stitches Stay On The Needle? – ‘Grabbier’ than metal or plastic.
- Durability – Bamboo is long-lasting. With the smaller diameter needles, don’t leave them where someone could sit on them.
The needle tips are pointy enough to pick up stitches. Complicated stitch designs are effortless for these needles.
KA Needles have been around for over 100 years. The bamboo is of exceptional quality. The skilled craftspeople who make them value precision and form.
They have extra-long needles, too, called Flex Needles, 19.5″ long. They have a wooden needle tip with a brass end and a plastic cable connected. At the end of the cable is a wooden bead to stop stitches from falling off.
- They feel warm in the hand
- Exceptional quality
- Super smooth surface
- Many sizes available
- Don’t leave your tiny diameter needles where someone could sit and snap them!
Ka Interchangeable Needles – Best Range Of Sizes
There is a range of interchangeables available. I’m featuring the Shirotake Comfort Interchangeable Set.
How Does It Compare?
- Made Of – Bamboo – The Shirotake needles have the natural bamboo look.
- Length – 5″ / 12.5 cm
- Needle Sizes Included – Size M1.8 : 2.25mm / US1 , 2.50 mm / US1.5, 2.75 mm/US2, 3.00 mm / US2.5, 3.25 mm/ US3
- Size M2 : 3.50 mm / US4, 3.75 mm / US5, 4.00 mm/ US6, 4.50 mm/ US7, 5.00 mm/ US8
- Cable Lengths: Size M1.8 : 14 inch / 35 cm, 22 inch / 55 cm, 29.5 inch / 75 cm -Size M2 : 14 inch / 35 cm, 22 inch / 55 cm, 29.5 inch / 75 cm
- Are They Comfortable? – They are warm to the touch, and the swivel cables make knitting a breeze. The cord is light and flexible and a joy to use.
- Do The Stitches Stay On The Needle? – Bamboo has grab, so stitches stay on.
- Durability – These needles are made to last. Keep in mind they snap if sat on.
The transparent nylon cords are flexible. The cord rotates, preventing kinking. The brass connection on the interchangeable knitting needle is so smooth, you won’t feel the join.
- Needles and cord joins are smooth.
- Tips are more pointed than round and have a nice taper.
- Super easy to knit with, and don’t split stitches
- The sizing is laser-printed, so it won’t rub off.
- The cords swivel on the tips, no need to worry about twisted cables.
- The nylon cords are high quality.
- The screw connection doesn’t come loose. There is no need for a key.
- Four different fabric designs for the case
- The fabric case isn’t padded.
Watch the unboxing and use of these needles by Dino Marino.
Ka Circulars – Best For Knitting In The Round
There’s a range of Ka Circular sizes available. I’m featuring the 16 inch/40cm length, perfect for knitting hats.
Other lengths are:
- 9 inch/22cm
- 9.5 inch/23 cm (The needle tips are different lengths. One tip is 2inch/ 5cm, and the other is 2.5 inch/ 6cm). It’s for maximum comfort when doing small circumference knitting.
- 12 inch/30cm
- 24 Inch/60cm
- 32 Inch/80cm
- 40 inch/100cm
How Does It Compare?
- Made Of – Moso and Madake Bamboos
- Length – 16 Inch/40cm
- Available Sizes – US 0, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 10.75, 11, 13, 15, 17
- Diameter (mm) – 2.00, 2.25, 2.50, 2.75, 3.00, 3.25, 3.50, 3.75, 4.00, 4.50, 5.00, 5.50, 6.00, 6.50, 7,00, 8.00, 9.00, 10.00, 12.00 mm
- Are They Comfortable? – Lightweight. With the swivel cord, knitting is easy.
- Do The Stitches Stay On The Needle? – Although stitches glide over the surface, there’s a slight grab.
- Durability – All Ka needles are built to last
They’re cut from bamboo heartwood and are harder than typical bamboo needles.
The swivel cords make circular knitting much more manageable. The nylon material is flexible and high quality, so no kinking.
- The needle is lighter and smooth
- Ideal for every knitting pattern
- Silken finish
- Superior to another bamboo
- Yarns slide over them
- The joint swivels to prevent twisted cables
- Be careful with the smaller diameters. Don’t leave them where they could be broken.
Ka DPNs – Best For Sock/Hat Knitting
See Knit double pointed needles come in varying lengths – 4 inch/5cm, 6 inch/15cm, and 8 inch/20cm.
They also come in sets. The set I’m featuring is the Seeknit Shirotake 6 inch/15cm Double Pointed Knitting Needle Set. There are 5 dpns in each size.
How Does It Compare?
- Made Of – Bamboo
- Length – 6 inch / 15 cm
- Available Sizes – 12 sizes in the set
- 2.00 mm, US 0, 2.25 mm, US 1, 2.75 mm, US 2, 3.25 mm, US 3, 3.50 mm, US 4, 3.75 mm, US 5, 4.00 mm, US 6, 4.50 mm, US 7, 5.00 mm, US 8, 5.50 mm, US 9, 6.00 mm, US 10, 6.50 mm, US 10.5
- Are They Comfortable? – They are warm and smooth to touch.
- Do The Stitches Stay On The Needle? – As they’re double-ended, don’t have too many on the needle.
- Durability – Strong and sturdy.
The tapered point makes it easy to get into stitches. Creating cables and lace stitches is a breeze.
The yarn doesn’t snag as the surface is smooth.
- The size is laser printed so it won’t rub off
- Natural color and bamboo grain is appealing
- The case comes in three different fabric designs
- Well pointed tips but not dangerously so.
- Good, useable length
- The individual pockets for each size keep everything tidy
- Made with care
- A refined product
- Super fast delivery
- The case isn’t padded, so don’t place heavy items on top.
Which One Is Best For You?
- Ka Straights – Great for knitting scarves
- Ka Interchangeable Needles – Suits you if knitting many different projects.
- Ka Circulars – Best for hats, cowls, sweaters, and afghans
- Ka DPNs – An excellent choice for socks and hats
Comparable Products To Consider
You may want to look at our Clover Knitting Needles posts if you’re interested in more bamboo options.
Bamboo Knitting needles are a must-have in a knitter’s stash. Whether you’re looking for circulars or double-pointed needles, ka has what you need. Hope this review helped.
Have you used these before? I’d love to hear about your experience.