Lace knitting is delicate, pretty, and full of intricate designs, so it makes sense you need a specific type of needle. How else are you supposed to make those tiny stitches with relative ease?
Whether you’re new to lace knitting and looking for your first pair of lace knitting needles, or looking for a replacement. Hopefully, these reviews will help you find the right one.
Table Of Contents
- What Type Of Needle Is Best Suited To Lace Knitting?
- What To Look For In The Best Lace Knitting Needles
- What Size Needles For Lace Weight Yarn?
- The Best Needles For Lace Knitting
- Addi Long Lace Tips Interchangeable Needles
- Addi Turbo Lace Circular Knitting Needles
- Addi Turbo Rockets
- Addi Click Lace Short Tips Interchangeable Knitting Needles
- HiyaHiya Sharp 5“ Interchangeable Needles
- ChiaoGoo Red Lace Circular 24″
- Signature Convertible Circular Needle Set
What Type Of Needle Is Best Suited To Lace Knitting?
These are the most popular choice for lace knitting, and for a good reason. Due to the nature of many lace projects, they have a lot of stitches. Circular needles are suited to holding lots of stitches and giving you more room to work with.
Interchangeable Circular Knitting Needles
If you plan to do or do a lot of knitting lace projects of different sizes, an interchangeable circular knitting needle set is a great choice. Most come with a handy case to keep everything organized. While it’s quite an investment upfront, it will save you a lot in the long run.
If the pattern you’re using calls for straight needles, or you don’t have to worry about too many stitches, then this is a perfect choice. It especially is convenient if you already have the right needles in your stash!
What To Look For In The Best Lace Knitting Needles
What Material Are They Made From? – The best choice in material is metal. If you’re allergic to brass, try to avoid this material.
Bamboo or plastic is not particularly recommended either, because they create a lot of friction when you’re working and can heat up very quickly. However, if you prefer bamboo, it’s best to use that.
Are They Circular, Straight, Or Interchangeable Knitting Needles? – Of course, it depends on your individual preference, but you need to make a decision as this will affect the project you create.
How Many Stitches Does The Project You’re Going To Do Have? – This will help you determine whether you need straights or circulars, and how long the cord of the circular needle needs to be.
Lace patterns tend to have a lot of stitches, so it’s essential to keep that in mind.
Are They Durable and Made Of Long Lasting Materials? – It’s important to make sure they’re going to last!
What’s Your Budget? – What kind of price range do you prefer? And are you going to make an investment upfront in interchangeable needles, or would you prefer to buy individual ones as you need them?
How Sharp Are The Tips? – It’s essential to have sharp tips to make it easier to get into the yarn and delicate little stitches.
What Size Needles For Lace Weight Yarn?
The best size needles for lace weight yarn is US 000-1 (1.5mm-2.25mm). As always, make sure you read the recommendations on the pattern or the thread you’re choosing for your project to help you decide what size you need.
Not all knitted lace projects require lace weight yarn, lace knitting can be created in many different yarn weights ranging from lace (fingering) to aran.
The Best Needles For Lace Knitting
Here are my recommendations for the best knitting needles for knitting lace.
Addi Long Lace Tips Interchangeable Needles
The first of quite a few addi knitting needles available that are suited for lace knitting. This is an interchangeable knitting needle set with case included explicitly designed for lace.
These feature longer tips than most interchangeable, hence the product name. This is to make it easier for complicated projects involving slipping stitches, knitting multiple at a time, and other variations.
It comes with a 40″ cable, so you can use this set to make things with the magic loop method.
- Features the genius and easy no-stress system of connecting needle tips and cords, called Addi Click.
- Designed and made in Germany
- 8 addi Long Lace Tips – US Sizes 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
- 3 Cords – 24″, 32″ and 40″.
- Includes an addi lick connecter, a bonus gold heart pin, and a handy pink case
- Longer tips than in most sets similar to it, they’re all 5″ long
- Lifetime warranty
- Electrostatic paint to prevent wear and tear
- The tips are nickel plated
- Sharp tips
- The yarn glides effortlessly over the cable and tips
- A secure connection between the two parts
- Some found the joins weren’t smooth and caught the yarn
- A little expensive but it’s worth the investment
- Sometimes the label on the needle tip can fade
Addi Turbo Lace Circular Knitting Needles
This is the turbo model available from Addi but modified specifically for lace knitting.
It’s the same quality, effortless, smooth and fast knitting you expect from addi turbos, but with a sharp tip and thinner cord suited for lace-weight yarn.
- Available in a wide range of sizes
- Designed for fast, effortless knitting
- Manufactured and designed in Germany
- Hollow, lightweight and smooth brass tips
- Lifetime warranty
- Flexible cable, and a smooth join
- Sharp tips, but not too sharp
- The needle is long and narrow, tapered to suit lace knitting
- Easy to use, little chance of hand fatigue
- The smell of brass and feel may irritate some people, especially if you’re allergic to it.
- Quite cold to work with at first, but they warm up after some use.
Addi Lace Turbo Rockets
These are the most recognizable addi lace needles, one of the most popular brands available from Addi.
An excellent choice of fixed lace circulars, these addi lace knitting needles are high quality and built to last.
They combine the sharper tips of lace turbos and with the smooth nickel-plated brass tips of regular turbos.
- Created in Germany
- Available in many different sizes, in both cord length and needle tips
- Perfect for a variety of delicate projects, not just lace
- Lifetime warranty
- Tapered, hollow nickel-plated all-brass tips
- Excellent quality, built to last
- Very pliable and flexible cords
- Comfortable and a breeze to use
- Those allergic to brass should avoid these needles.
Addi Click Lace Short Tips Interchangeable Knitting Needles
Similar to the long tips interchangeable circular knitting needles mentioned above, these are very similar, except they have the shorter tips. These are the best knitting needles for those wanting longer tips with interchangeables.
Excellent quality needles and smooth connections with the addi click system, another great interchangeable set.
It comes with a 40-inch long cable for doing projects with the magic loop method.
(Note: This kit only includes regular addi cables, not the SOS cables.)
- Designed and manufactured in Germany
- 5 cords included – 40cm (16″), 50cm (20″), 60cm (24″), 80cm (32″), and 100cm (40″).
- 8 Needle Tips included – Us Sizes 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.75, and 11.
- Includes a bonus gold pin, an addi click connector, and a brown organized case
- Designed for easy, effortless knitting.
- Lifetime warranty against manufacturer’s defects
- Easy and quick connecting system
- Smooth joins
- Flexible but not too flexible cable
- Nickel-plated metal needles tips
- Some found the connectors can snag a little
- The connection system can be a bit confusing for some.
HiyaHiya Sharp 5“ Interchangeable Needles
Another contender for a great interchangeable knitting needle set for lace knitting, this is a favorite of many knitters for many reasons.
It has quality needles, useful notions, sharp tips, and smooth joins between the connections. Plus, a broad range of flexibility with the sizes included, so a lot of value for the price you pay.
The case looks lovely, too, with dedicated pockets for all items included.
- Thirteen sets of needle tips – US sizes of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15.
- 4 cords included – 18″, 26″, 34″, and 42″
- Other notions included – Small and Large Panda Stoppers, Small and Large Single Point Adapters, Puppy Snip, Darn Its, and Knitters Safety Pins.
- Comes in a handy well-made case
- Needle tips are made from high-quality stainless steel
- A keyless screw-in connection system
- Flexible, pliable cords
- They can’t offer a choice in colors, you get what you’re given
- Cord tends to curl very easily, and if you’re not careful, could twist your project accidentally.
ChiaoGoo Red Lace Needles 24 Inches
These chiaogoo needles are a perfect choice for lace and a recommended product by many knitters worldwide.
A set of interchangeable knitting needles, made from quality stainless steel and look beautiful while also being highly functional and useful. These are some of the best lace knitting needles.
- 13 Needle Sizes Included – US Sizes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15
- Cord Lengths Included – 24″, 32″ and 40″
- Notions Included – Coded cable connectors, end stoppers, T-Shaped tightening keys, stitch markers, and a needle gauge
- The needle tips are all 5″ long
- A unique feature is the cords are memory free, to prevent curling. They’re made of a steel cable coated in red flexible nylon
- Tips are made of surgical grade stainless steel
- Lightweight and smooth to use
- Perfectly sharp tips
- Easy and quick knitting with these needles
- Sometimes there may be residue from the manufacturing left on the needles, rubbing them with alcohol on a cloth to remove it. You need to wipe it off before use; otherwise, it may stain your knitting or clothes.
Signature Convertible Circular Needle Set
Signature Needles from Signature Needle Arts are dubbed the “Rolls Royce” of the knitting needle brands.
This is because they’re luxury knitting needles with superb quality, look and feel, and attention to detail with the manufacturing.
If you’re willing to put in a considerable investment, you’ll be reward with some of the best knitting needles for lace.
- Includes the stiletto point, their signature sharpest point, perfect for lace knitting
- 8 Needle sizes included – 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.
- The needles are all 5″ long
- Cord lengths included – 32″ only, one cord for each needle size
- The convertible joins are very smooth, preventing the yarn from snagging
- Wires are very flexible while not annoyingly so
- Lifetime guarantee
- Comes in lovely colors
- High-quality airplane grade aluminum metal needles
- Probably out of some people’s budget range, but it’s very well worth the investment
- Sometimes thin or lace-weight yarns might catch on the joins in interchangeable circulars.
- This is rare, but sometimes the joins unscrew.
- Some people found they were hard to put together.
Happy lace knitting, and may you create something beautiful you can be proud of.
Hopefully, this post helped you find the best lace knitting needles to suit your needs.
Which lace needles appealed to you the most? Have you ever used any of these before, if so, what did you like about them? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.
Something I forgot? Or have a question? Leave a comment at the end.