Completing the often time consuming task of blocking your knitting is worth it when you see the stunning results. They come in a couple of different forms. Blocking pins (block pins) keep the hand knitted items in place while you ease it into shape and the right dimensions. I’ve reviewed the best options for knitters.
There are two types of pins, T-pins and fork blocking pins.
Table Of Contents
- Knitter’s Pride Knit Blockers & Pin Kit
- Knit Picks Blocking Pins
- Knit IQ Stainless Stainless Steel T-Pins
- Nickel Plated T-Pins
- Jimmy Beans Wool Knocker Blockers Knit Blockers
Knitter’s Pride Knit Blockers & Pin KitCheck Price On Amazon
A helpful patented tool for blocking from Knitter’s Pride. They’re the best knitting accessories in this category.
Note: The actuate way to describe these would be pin combs (blocking combs), a rectangle with pins sticking out of them to help keep items secured.
They’re a much less fiddly and easy to lose alternative to t-pins or similar items you might usually use. Make sure you use them in tandem with blocking mats or towels.
Use these in with the Knitter’s Pride blocking mats in my blocking mats post. The price is mid-range.
- Includes – 12 Blockers with eight pins, and eight blockers with four pins
- Made From – Tough Plastic & Stainless Steel materials
- Pins are made from rust-proof stainless steel, so they’d make a great gift for any knitter. It works with most patterns.
- An easy, convenient way to maintain the correct tension in your project, so they block correctly
- These products make blocking quicker and easier
- These tools cover more area than traditional t-pins.
- Ability to define the yarn shaping, stitches, and angles and pull out points on a pattern with ease.
- For larger projects, you’ll probably need to buy two or three boxes from this brand, but it’s worth it.
- These accessories can be a bit confusing to work out how to use at first.
Knit Picks Blocking Pins
This set of rust resistant double pins can quickly pierce and firmly hold knit items while blocking and enhance the details.
The grip of the double pin is bent for ease in handling. Packaged in a sturdy plastic case with slide out drawer. 35 pins per package, and they’re a good size. Many people rate them 5 stars.
Knit IQ Stainless Stainless Steel T-Pins
T Pins are named because they look like the letter T. They are 1.5 inches long with a sharp point. Ideal for use with blocking mats. Made from quality stainless steel for longevity and durability.
- Strong and sturdy
- Contains 150 T pins, sufficient for intricate blocking of very large pieces
- These supplies are rustproof and have a reusable storage tin
- These aren’t fine pins, so not suitable for really delicate items
- Some users found they left a grey mark in their cream/white color knits. An easy fix for this is wiping them with a clean cloth before use.
Nickel Plated T-Pins
Pack of 60 Heavy Duty 1.5″ Pins made in the USA. Made from nickel plated stainless steel.
- Good quality
- Seller ships quickly
- Keep them in your knitting bag with your knitting needles and knitting projects
- They’re rust resistant, not rustproof
- No good for anyone with nickel sensitivities
Pin For Later
Jimmy Beans Wool Knocker Blockers Knit Blockers
Helps maintain even tension across the width of the blocking pins. Excellent for blocking straight edges on shawls, scarves and sweaters. They’re the favorites of many knitters.
Each knitblockers blocking pin is made with durable plastic. Then fitted with sharp, sturdy, rust-resistant stainless steel pins.
You can attach string from the anchor holes along large sections which can be pulled and pinned to the desired tension.
The Knocker Blocket Knit Blockers kit contains 2 different sizes to accommodate different shapes. The colors are delightful, fun, and stylish, from pink to purple.
This sort of thing will go well with your handmade item!
- 12 Blockers with 8 pins
- 8 Blockers with 4 pins
- Less chance of pricking yourself, so this is something that’ll make blocking much easier. It’s good for beginners.
- These unique blocking knitting tools are strong and sturdy
- $5 from every purchase goes directly to support the Knitted Knockers organisation, which provides knitted breast prosthetics to people who have undergone mastectomies or other procedures to the breast.
- They enhance each stitch, and they’re easy to see against your yarn or thread of the project.
- It free ships to the US if you spend over 75 US, and it’s easy to place an order, however, you need an account to make orders at this hobby store. (They also sell gift cards for craft.)
- If you don’t like the variety of pretty colors or the color pink, these aren’t for you.
FAQS About Knitting Blocking Pins
How Do You Use Blocked Pins?
This video by on YouTube is a great overview, and has some handy tips for using it to block fabric.
What Are Knit Blockers Used For?
Here’s a video demonstrating how to use them.
I highly recommend blocking pins for your knitting when going through the blocking process. They’re great used with blocking boards, and make excellent gift ideas for knitters.
The blockers are a great way to get beautiful edges and the T Pins help ease out the wonderful stitch design and points. Go forth and create your next masterpiece!
Do you love blocking pins? I’d love to hear from you. Drop me a note below in the comments section or get in touch with me here.