Plastic needles are the cheapest and the lightest. They are smoother than wooden and bamboo knitting needles but not as much as metal.
Read on for the benefits and drawbacks of using them, and the best currently available on the market.
Table Of Contents
- Benefits & Drawbacks Of Plastic Knitting Needles
- Plastic Circular Needles
- Boye Circulars
- Addi Gold Glitter Circulars
- Pony Fixed Circulars
- Plastic Double Pointed Needles
- Addi Gold Glitter Double Pointed Needles
- Denise2Go FLEX Double Pointed Needle Set, US 5-15
- Straight Needles
- Lion Brand Kids
- Lion Brand Straights
- Susan Bates Plastic Knitting Needles
- Your Questions Answered
Benefits & Drawbacks Of Plastic Knitting Needles
Use Plastic knitting needles with rounded tips when working with super bulky and super chunky yarns. The points are less likely to split the yarn.
These lighter weight needles for knitting are less likely to promote fatigue when using heavier yarns.
Look for needles with a smooth finish to avoid yarn snagging on the needles as you knit.
Be aware that they can also bend easily and occasionally break.
Plastic Circular Knitting Needles
Boye Plastic Circular Knitting Needles
They have colored plastic needle tips with a flexible clear cable.
- Not many sizes available
addi Knitting Needle Turbo Circular Plastic 40 inch (100cm) Size US 50 (25.0mm)
High strength, lightweight durable and smooth clear resin jumbo circulars with shimmering golden glitter. Clear cords.
- Smooth joins between tips and cord
- Add a bit of glitter fun to your knitting experience
Pony Fixed Circular Needles
Sizes Available – 2.75mm – 25.00mm. Cord Lengths Available – 80cm
- Lasts a long time
- It may not stand to lots and lots of use.
Plastic Double Pointed Knitting Needles
Addi Gold Glitter Double Pointed Needles
These are high quality, durable and smooth clear plastic DPNs with shimmering gold glitter.
US 17 (12mm) Length: 9 in (23 cm)
- Such fun!
- Great for chunky and bulky projects
- Made in Germany
- Addi is a very well known brand for needles
- Great craftsmanship
- Not available in smaller sizes
Denise2Go FLEX Double Pointed Needle Set, US 5-15
They are designed for the knitter who does a serious amount of different types of projects requiring DPNS.
- Needle Sizes Included – US 5 – 15
- Needles Lengths – 8.5″ for US Sizes 5 – 10 , and 9.5″ for US sizes 11 – 15
- Other Notions Included – 6 2″- (5 cm) cords to make two shorter DPN sets and four stitch holders
- Made From – Durable Plastic
- Value for your money
- Sharp tips
- Smooth and lightweight
- Plastic might be uncomfortable for people to use
- Gets warm in your hands very quickly
Lion Brand Kids Knitting Needles
Short red and blue plastic knitters needles perfect for smaller hands. They are made of lightweight plastic with a cute animal knob at the end. They are 7″ in length.
- Fun colors
- Easy to handle
- Suitable for kids ages six and up
Lion Brand Plastic Knitting Needles
Knit super-fast projects with the range of Lion Brand Plastic Needles. They are 13.5 inches in length.
Sizes available: US 4 (3.5mm), US 5 (3.75mm), US 6 (4.0mm), US 7 (4.5mm), US 8 (5.0mm), US 9 (5.5mm), US 10 (6.0mm), US 11 (8.0mm), US 13 (9.0mm), US 15 (10.0mm), US 17 (13.0mm), US 19 (15.0mm), US 35 (19.0mm)
- Each size is a different color
- Marked with US size
- Like all plastic needles, they can break if you’re not careful.
Susan Bates Plastic Knitting Needles
This gift set contains four pair of 10 inch needles in sizes 8 (5mm), 9 (5-1/2mm), 10 (6mm) and 10-1/2 (6-1/2mm).
- S smooth finish.
- Each size is color-coded, so you can find the size you need at a glance
- Knobs feature a no-roll design with the printed US and metric sizes
- Are subject to break if not handled carefully.
Loops & Threads Plastic Knitting Needles
Available in multiple sizes. They are 10″ length
- Light and easy to hold
- Smooth surface
- Good for smaller hands
Your Questions Answered
Which Are Lighter Plastic Or Bamboo Knitting Needles?
Plastic is lighter than Bamboo knitting needles. The difference in weight is not by much.
What Are Plastic Knitting Needles Used For?
Plastic Knitting Needles are used for many different knitted projects – scarves, hats, sweaters, mittens, and more. They are a good option for beginners due to being very affordable.
How To Straighten Plastic Cord Between Knitting Needles
To uncurl plastic cable knitting needles, place them in hot water for a few minutes. Be careful not to put the needle tips in the water. Dry the cable, and the plastic should have straightened out.
How To Straighten Out Plastic Needles
To straighten out plastic knitting needles, boil water in a pot on the stove. Hold needles over the arising steam; remove from steam and straighten with your fingers. Plunge straighten needles in cold water to set.