I have answers to – What is Worsted Weight Yarn? Information on why and when to use it and recommended needle sizes to this thicker weight yarn.
My Quick Recommendations
- My Top Pick – Debbie Bliss Cashmerino
- Best Luxury Option – Muse Hand Painted
- Best Budget Pick – Brava Worsted
The best yarn above has excellent reviews from fellow crafters.
Table of Contents
- What is Worsted Weight Yarn?
- Why Use Worsted Weight Yarn?
- Uses of Worsted Weight Yarn
- What is Worsted Weight Yarn Made From?
- History of Worsted Weight Yarn
- Recommended Needle Sizes
What Is It?
Worsted Weight yarn is a best friend for any knitter and crocheter.
- Medium weight yarn/thickness
- Easy to work
- Knits up quickly without much bulk
- Many amazing colors
- Great stitch definition
- Showcase your beautiful skills
- Designers love using this yarn weight
Also known as
- Afghan weight yarns
- Aran weight yarns
- Aran chunky yarn
Major yarn manufacturers Lion Brand and Bernat claim this weight of yarn is their most popular yarn.
What kind of yarn do you use for arm knitting? Take a look at my post.
As it’s readily available, and Etsy has many talented hand-dyers, this weight yarn makes excellent Etsy gifts for knitters.
A versatile yarn weight for any knitted project and beginner projects.
According to The Craft Yarn Council Standard Yarn Weight System
- Yarn weight is the medium category
- Symbol number 4
You’ll find the number 4 symbol on the ball label. (Yarn label.)
This yarn weight system is used by all yarn companies, regardless of country.
It’s thicker than
- Lace weight
- Fingering (super fine)
- DK Weight Yarn
- Double Knitting
- Crochet thread
- Sport yarn
- 8ply yarn
- Bulky weight yarn
- Super Chunky
- 12ply yarn weights
Light worsted is weight No. 3, aka DK or 8ply.
Why Use This Versatile Yarn?
Use this yarn weight to test new techniques or stitches. If you’re a beginner knitter, use lightly shaded yarn. It’s easier to see mistakes.
Use this weight of yarn to create any knitted projects and garments.
This yarn weight is easily substituted, you have plenty of options to choose from! Yarn Manufacturers make it easy with a vast range.
Ball winders make winding yarn so easy!
Uses of This Popular Yarn
There’s an endless variety of inspiration!
- It’s a good yarn for scarves
- Sock patterns
- Baby blankets
- Baby items
- Home decor
- Cushion covers
There are no limitations to the selection of what you knit with worsted weight yarn. Using this yarn for gifts is the way to go.
Make small projects like socks using the Chiaogoo Twist Shorties.
Here’s one easy accessories project to do with one skein.
Learn To Knit A Headband pattern and video tutorial by the talented Knitwear Designer Chandi of Expression Fiber Arts.
Where can I find the best place to buy yarn near me? I’ll guide you.
What Is It Made From?
- Cotton / synthetic blends
- Wool (like Malabrigo Merino Worsted, Cascade Yarns & Plymouth Yarn)
- Alpaca (like Rowan Lima)
- Acrylic (Berroco, Red Heart Super Saver, Cascade Cherub yarn, Caron’s Simply Soft)
- Wool / synthetic combinations (like with nylon for sock yarn)
Looking for top rated sock yarns. Please read my post.
The yarn is named for the Worstead village in Norfolk, England. As far back as the 12th century, this town produced smooth, even yarn and was a hub for spinning fiber.
Wool Processing and Spinning: Worsted vs Woolen:
The word “worsted” doesn’t always refer to yarn weight. It also means a wool processing technique — the worsted method, instead of the woolen method.
The worsted process involves combing the short hairs out of the fiber. The same length fibers are spun parallel to each other, making a dense yarn.
What Knitting Needles To Use
- Metric Needle Size Range = 4.5-5.5mm
- (American) U.S. Needle Size Range = 7-9
- United Kingdom Size Range = 8-6
- Knitting Gauge Range in Stockinette Stitch to 4″ – 16–20 sts
- Crochet Hooks – 5.5–6.5 mm s (I–9 to K–10 1/2)
Keep your yarn in place with a yarn holder bowl.
- Lace knitting – size 6.0mm-8.0mm
- Knitting socks, potholders, or dish towels – 3.25-4.0mm
Note: The above are guidelines only.
Knitting needle size or hook vary based on your knitting/crochet gauge. It’s essential to make a gauge swatch first before beginning a project.
See what tension and sized fabric you create and scale the knitting needle size up or down as necessary.
- Worsted yarn has great stitch definition.
- Not too light or heavy; being a medium weight,
- Keeps you warm and snug without bulk.
- Thickness doesn’t vary much between brands.
- Great if on a budget. The amount of knitted fabric is more than if you choose bulky yarns. You don’t have to purchase as many balls.
- Worsted weight is a fabulous choice for colorwork knitting.
- One of the quick to knit up yarn weights
- Easy care with superwash wool variants
- The durability and strength of this type of yarn means it lasts the distance.
- Plenty of knitting patterns and kits available
Looking for the softest yarn for baby blanket? I’ll show you which ones are best.
Now you have all the knowledge on this versatile and durable medium-weight yarn. Worsted weight yarn is perfect for knitting beginners.
What have you knitted with this yarn? Tell me in the comments.